So this is what I see going on right now. You have the Classic and the Passport and they are all neat and all. But what I see going on is the same thing that stopped developers from developing for BB before. That square screen. Yes I get it that you can use android aps on the device with snap and the amazon store. But developers did not want to code for those square screens before and they don't want to now. Sure there are some developers that do and that is awesome. But you need to remember how many developers jumped ship once the iPhone and Android devices started taking off and with them all pretty much having the same screen ratio. It made things easy to code and bring to either store.

Remembering history is a good way of avoiding the same mistakes.
    11-17-14 10:08 AM
    honestly i don't understand that one bit. I'm a dev and I don't care 1 jot about the screen ratio, all I care about is they keep it consistent so I don't have to keep changing it
    11-17-14 10:15 AM
    So this is what I see going on right now. You have the Classic and the Passport and they are all neat and all. But what I see going on is the same thing that stopped developers from developing for BB before. That square screen. Yes I get it that you can use android aps on the device with snap and the amazon store. But developers did not want to code for those square screens before and they don't want to now. Sure there are some developers that do and that is awesome. But you need to remember how many developers jumped ship once the iPhone and Android devices started taking off and with them all pretty much having the same screen ratio. It made things easy to code and bring to either store.

Well, according to your logic, there should be thousands of first rate apps for the Z10 and the Z30 since they don't have square screens. But.......!

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    scmcc16 likes this.
    11-17-14 02:28 PM

Got to completely disagree with you. The reason why devs don't want to code for BB is that their throughput is nowhere near those of Android and iOS plain and simple. If BB had millions of people lining up to buy the Classic on launch day I guarrentee you devs would be coding for BB. Why? Because that's where the money is. Devs are in the business of making money and the greater pool of people to buy an app, the greater potential for them to make more money.
    shaleem and bakron1 like this.
    11-17-14 02:34 PM
    It is not a matter of screen dimensions. The problem is the money you get for the apps you develop, and that money today is in iOS.

Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    scmcc16 likes this.
    11-17-14 03:00 PM
    honestly i don't understand that one bit. I'm a dev and I don't care 1 jot about the screen ratio, all I care about is they keep it consistent so I don't have to keep changing it
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how cumbersome is it to develop an app for a different screen size?

Same scale, this time for adjusting your code for a new screen size (for an app that's you've already worked on for a different screen size)
    11-17-14 08:40 PM
    Got to completely disagree with you. The reason why devs don't want to code for BB is that their throughput is nowhere near those of Android and iOS plain and simple. If BB had millions of people lining up to buy the Classic on launch day I guarrentee you devs would be coding for BB. Why? Because that's where the money is. Devs are in the business of making money and the greater pool of people to buy an app, the greater potential for them to make more money.
    Plus, when they do develop for BlackBerry, the people want the app for free.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:40 PM
    Plus, when they do develop for BlackBerry, the people want the app for free.

Posted via CB10
    That's funny, but sadly true (based on the many posts I have seen)!
    11-18-14 05:38 AM
    I have never had an app's price alter my decision to download an app. If the app is what I need, I have no problem handing over its cost.

I would far rather pay for an app than to download an app for free that then tries to sell me stuff within it.

It is the Android mind-set that wants everything for free, not the Blackberry experience.

To me a really good app is probably worth the price.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    Prem WatsApp and Playbook007 like this.
    11-18-14 07:00 AM
    Very well put and most folks don't understand thats it's about business and revenue flow, period. Developers don't work for free and most folks think they do. I have always supported the app community by buying the paid version of the app if its available, I have a nice library of paid apps for Blackberry, IOS and Android platforms.
    11-18-14 08:11 AM
    Lol I don't think the OP knows what they are talking about

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 10:17 AM