Well, my Mom has heard me talk and talk about the Blackberry, and she doesn't like her current phone (a Razor) because it slips out of her hand to easily, and she complains it shows a volumn control when she opens it rather than being ready to dial (not sure what she means here).

Anyway, I've been telling her that she would love the PIM functions of a Blackberry, because she uses ToDo lists a lot etc. She's not very technical, so I'm a bit worried it might all be to much for her, but I told her to look at a Curve or maybe a Pearl.

I have the 8820, so I'm not sure which one to recommend, but I want to make sure it has GPS.
    04-07-08 10:23 AM
    Well, my Mom has heard me talk and talk about the Blackberry, and she doesn't like her current phone (a Razor) because it slips out of her hand to easily, and she complains it shows a volumn control when she opens it rather than being ready to dial (not sure what she means here).

Anyway, I've been telling her that she would love the PIM functions of a Blackberry, because she uses ToDo lists a lot etc. She's not very technical, so I'm a bit worried it might all be to much for her, but I told her to look at a Curve or maybe a Pearl.

I have the 8820, so I'm not sure which one to recommend, but I want to make sure it has GPS.
    Sound like you're already thinking about her Mother's day Present. About her being not too technical, don't worry about that too much. She is a whole lot smarter than you think, She Raised you right didn't she?
    If it was me, I would take her to the store and let her look at, and touch each phone. upon choosing the one she likes, she'll have 30 days to know how much she like or dislike it.
    Looking forward to seeing her make her first post here on the Crack.
    04-07-08 10:38 AM
    Yeah, I agree w/ CrackBlack - take her to the store & let her get a touch & feel of each phone. That way she can see how it feels when she'll be using it daily & whatnot.

My Mom had a Pearl at first then switched to the Curve because she liked the keyboard - now she's always texting me!
    04-07-08 12:30 PM
    I think one of the great things about blackberry is it's as technical as you make it. If you want all the gadgets and bells and whistles (like a lot of us on here), you can have it. If you want it set up simple, that's also easily doable. If she's not very technical, as you put it, I'm sure you'd have no problem setting it up for her the way she'd like it--give her what she wants and get rid of what she doesn't.
    04-07-08 12:41 PM
    I think she's better off with the Curve because the keyboard is straight forward. She might not like double tapping or using SureType a lot of people seem to not like SureType but I love it but it does take time to get used to using.
    04-07-08 12:45 PM
    would be a great gift
    04-07-08 04:29 PM
    I think she would need to try them both out to see which she is most comfortable with and providing you are there to help her get to know her new device she should be ok.
    She might surprise ya!!
    04-07-08 04:44 PM
    well ya never know until she has to use something everyday, but thats why they give ya 30 days so...
    take her down and let her play with the phones and when she chooses a new pearl or curve(of course) help her set it up!
    04-07-08 05:32 PM
    what a good son you are :]

i'm sure she'd love it.
    04-08-08 01:22 AM
    im gettin one for my mom 2 but i think the buttons on the curve are 2 small for her she doesnt like "small buttons" maybe a pearl
    04-08-08 02:18 AM
    I would agree with most of the folks on here. Take her in the store and let her pick out the one she likes. Just keep her away from the black jack and and the iphone, they may be temping but oh so wrong lol
    04-08-08 03:29 AM
    Try her with the 8310
    04-08-08 05:16 AM
    Yea keep her away from those gimmicks for sure. Get her the real deal!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-08 05:43 AM
    My mom always has a cheap phone and always asking me if I have any devices for her. Too bad she's on sprint, lol. I keep telling her NO SIM!

I may eventually get her the Curve from Sprint.
    04-08-08 09:07 AM
    Yeah, I agree w/ CrackBlack - take her to the store & let her get a touch & feel of each phone. That way she can see how it feels when she'll be using it daily & whatnot.

My Mom had a Pearl at first then switched to the Curve because she liked the keyboard - now she's always texting me!
    Haha. Amazingly, while I thought she'd likely prefer the Pearl, she did go to the store, and website, she likes the Curve better. Shey, I might just have to update my spam filter.
    04-08-08 10:00 AM
    Well, after she read this post, and I "introduced" her to crackberry.com, she is now a wanna-be addict, and is going to get a curve. =)
    04-08-08 05:42 PM
    nice!
    very very nice!
    hope she loves it
    04-08-08 06:26 PM
    so will her profile name be mom.waugh?
    04-08-08 06:59 PM
    lol, I sure hope not. =)
    04-08-08 07:02 PM
    Her screen name will be
    Mom-on-crack

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com