I've had a lot of problems with my blackberry bold, and I don't want to pay full value for a new phone. I'm not due for an upgrade for another year. I bought the phone from a private seller, so I can't get a replacement. Would it be possible/make sense to add another line, get the new phone for cheap, and then cancel the new line to keep the new phone? I'm not sure if I've ever seen this on one of these posts, I just wanted to see what you all think because of the problems I've been having with my BB. I'm currently on a family line, so it would be expensive for me to switch all devices on a new carrier.
    03-09-10 04:21 PM
    I think if you cancel the new line they'll charge you full price for the new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 04:23 PM
    Even if I did it after 30 days?
    03-09-10 04:26 PM
    I want to say yes.

Edit: if you plan to do that. Read the contract before you sign it. It'll have all the details regarding that I'm sure of it.

03-09-10 04:26 PM
    Plus the termination fee on that line would be more than what you can find that phone for on craigslist. Just keep searching craigslist and you'll find a clean one eventually.

03-09-10 04:28 PM
    If you have a dumb phone, see if you can add a line, get the new berry and move the dumb phone to the new line. Then transfer that line to replace the Bold. If that doesn't work, consider getting another Berry from a private seller to replace yours that is on the fritz. I would actually recommend that latter. If you can get a Curve for cheap, you can continue to use a Berry, but not sign a new contract.

Also, get the phone's serial number ahead of time to make sure the phone isn't stolen or something if you buy from Craig's List. I am thinking about a similar solution.
    03-09-10 04:30 PM
    Plus the termination fee on that line would be more than what you can find that phone for on craigslist. Just keep searching craigslist and you'll find a clean one eventually.

I don't think so. Say I want a Bold 9700, about $400 on craigslist, ebay. I can get it for free online (walmart) add it to my account, then cancel for $175. The cancellation fee starts at $175 for at&t and then goes down $5 every month.
    03-09-10 04:32 PM
    in the uk, the phone comes FREE with the contract.
    eg: �30 x 18 months = �540.
    if you cancel, you still have to pay the �540.
    Better buy unlocked from amazon.
    03-09-10 04:44 PM
    I've heard you can just suspend the line. Keeps it open but you aren't using it but I think you have to pay a monthly fee to suspend it.
    03-09-10 04:46 PM
    Buy any BB you want from private seller. There's your upgrade till next year.
    03-09-10 05:55 PM
    Buy any BB you want from private seller. There's your upgrade till next year.
    Yes, but I don't want to spend $400-$500 if I can get it free and pay the $175 cancellation fee.
    03-09-10 06:02 PM
    Don't forget to factor in two months of charges and Activation Fee, etc. in addition to the ETF...
    03-09-10 06:13 PM
    Or you can use these forums to figure out what's wrong with your Bold and hang tough until you are eligible for an upgrade. Or do you just really want the 9700? Can't blame you, it's an awesome device.

03-09-10 06:19 PM
    It isn't worth trying to beat the system. Is the device that bad?
    I would never get a phone from a private person unless you ask a lot of questions to make sure it isn't a lemon. People attempt to do this all the time and it is because of this prices increase and ETF get increased as well for BB
    03-09-10 06:20 PM
    Yeah, that is not a slick way to get a cheap phone otherwise people would be pulling that everyday. Fine print always say, if you cancel the line/plan that enabled you to get that cheap, subsidized price, you have to pay the remainder of the cost of the phone.

03-09-10 06:44 PM
    I don't think so. Say I want a Bold 9700, about $400 on craigslist, ebay. I can get it for free online (walmart) add it to my account, then cancel for $175. The cancellation fee starts at $175 for at&t and then goes down $5 every month.
    Read the fine print, it explicitly says they will charge you the balance of the cost of the phone, and possibly even their own cancellation fee in addition to ATT. Don't try to buck the system. You're better off finding a deal from a private seller.

03-09-10 06:50 PM
    I've heard you can just suspend the line. Keeps it open but you aren't using it but I think you have to pay a monthly fee to suspend it.
    And if you do this, you will be extending your contract into oblivion. Suspending doesn't mean you get to pay off your contract on a cheaper fee. It means adding another month to your contract each time you are suspended. And I believe there even may be a limit to how long you can suspend, depending on carrier.

Sorry for my multiple posts!

03-09-10 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD