08-18-10 10:11 PM
41 12
tools
    Some people just aren't on the technological edge. I'm guessing 40-50 years of age? No offense to anyone in that age bracket.
    No, why would someone over 60 take offense

Computer programmer in a much former life
    08-06-10 12:06 AM
    I think the one thing I show people that causes the most ahhs is the app switcher. It is fun to show them how to multitask.
    That was a huge selling point for those lateral to me. They all were closing
    things, then opening things and ..... well you get the idea.
    08-06-10 12:10 AM
    ===== QUOTE lak611 ====

I've even spoken to CSRs in AT&T and VZW stores who suggested registering here.

===== /QUOTE ====

Excellent advice and I do agree about the training. I did that with my last job
    and can't see leaving this group going along the way they are. They really have
    no idea what they can get done with what they have right now.

Will work on lesson plan this weekend (in between moving.) The 101 will be in
    full effect.
    On a related, but somewhat off-topic note, I would suggest updating some of the 101 lectures. For instance, not many folks are still using such an old version of BBM. Much of what is mentioned in the BBM lecture does not apply to BBM 5.0.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-06-10 01:42 AM
    That might be something you could work on Laura. Get your name in lights.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 06:07 AM
    I think it's great that you helped your new coworkers learn what their devices can do!! I'm still learning and trying to understand everything about mine. I would even be nice to have bb workshops from the place of purchase. Ya know like how Lowe's has those do it yourself workshops...lol. I know when I'm learning something new on mine, not only do I want to know how to do it but I want to know why!
    08-06-10 07:06 AM
    Look at it as a teaching opportunity. I'm in the 40-50 group....44 to be exact, but I grew up on tech (pong, Atari, DOS, computer science major, etc). So it's second nature for me. But folks my parents age....you need to tread carefully or you risk alienating them, or making them feel dumb.

For instance, my Dad is not a huge fan of tech....or better yet....not a fan of tech that I suggest and recommend. He' always had a dumb phone. I have never suggested phones to him. But after seeing my Berry and other things his friends have....now he has a Droid. And my in-laws have iPhones.

Call it Technology Natural Selection. Only the smart phone wielding survive.......
    08-06-10 09:05 AM
    That might be something you could work on Laura. Get your name in lights.

I think somebody already did a blog post explaining BBM 5. That blog post needs to replace or supplement the BBM tutorial.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-06-10 11:13 AM
    So Amazingly, when will any REAL work get done with your group?
    08-06-10 12:10 PM
    Wow AG!

Some people just aren't on the technological edge. I'm guessing 40-50 years of age? No offense to anyone in that age bracket.
    I am in that age category. I am the tech person for all my friends & family - most younger than me. Because of us type writers became word processors which led to computers and such. We were the technological leaders.

08-06-10 12:29 PM
    lol how many of them were women?

They couldn't care less about that kinda stuff, no matter how beneficial or cool they think it is once they know about it, they just don't bother with it.

No offense to women.
    08-06-10 12:32 PM
    I had a similar experience at my work as various people had Blackberries yet didn't know a third of what could be done with them. I was constantly having people come in my office with "How do I.............?" As suggested in previous posts, one of the first things I told them was to check out this website. As for work, we don't have a BES and our IT department doesn't seem to be interested. Still, those of us with BB's march on.
    08-06-10 12:38 PM
    lol how many of them were women?

They couldn't care less about that kinda stuff, no matter how beneficial or cool they think it is once they know about it, they just don't bother with it.

No offense to women.
    WHAT? I guess I am a young boy in a woman's body. Are ya'll gonna make a comnment about my skin color - and then add "no offense"?

08-06-10 12:41 PM
    WHAT? I guess I am a young boy in a woman's body. Are ya'll gonna make a comnment about my skin color - and then add "no offense"?

Maybe, what color is it?

Besides I was being facetious relax.
    08-06-10 02:31 PM
    Lol, my previous partner actually once said the following:
    I want my phone to be a phone, like my gas station to be a gas station, when I need groceries I go to the market, when I want magazines and books I go to the bookstore. I don't need stinking email, texts, addresses, GPS,
    talk about being stuck in your ways! lol.

He did like to complain about always having too much stuff in his briefcase and pockets though.

What a schmuck.
    08-06-10 03:28 PM
    Well Done AG!

Your work place is EXACTLY why I don't think Apps are as important as the people on this forum think they are, sooo many people don't even know the most basic elements of their smartphones, let alone apps.

My company are still in the dark about how much we can use our BB's I'm the only one with exception of the VP of global sales that has Doc2Go installed and using it, even though we are heavy excel file passers.

we have an internal mandate to start using BBM, I got an email from our office admin asking me how to find peoples PIN's ( 2 years we've had BB's and I've shown everyone this multiple times)

STILL people can't figure out BBM, and have never sent a txt message, and yet like me they are pumping out 10-50 emails per day on these babies,
    All the Talk about 3rd Party chat clients as an alternate to BBM, really if we have people who can't get BBM strait HOW will you convert them to gtalk,

MY hope is that with BB6 out, once they have a New Candybar phone I'm going to write up a proposal for why we all been to leave the 8830, 8330, 9630's we use and move to a BBOS6 device and what apps will work for us all, and what themes are,

Wow AG!

I am in that age category. I am the tech person for all my friends & family - most younger than me. Because of us type writers became word processors which led to computers and such. We were the technological leaders.

WOW now, back up my 85 year old grandfather would say you followed in his foot steps

in the 70's while you where in school, he was building what would later be known as PC's
    08-06-10 03:34 PM
    On a related note, I helped somebody today with her BlackBerry.

I had a doctor's appointment, and I called the receptionist and said I would be late, since I had a package arriving.

After my visit was completed, when I went to pay my co-pay, the receptionist asked me if I would mind telling her what my package was. I said it was a new BlackBerry battery. She asked me if I knew anything about BlackBerrys. I asked her what she needed help with. She said she could not read the small font.

I asked to see the BlackBerry. It was a 9000 like mine. I showed her how to change the font size. She wrote down what I told her.

Then she asked to see my BlackBerry. She loved the ReverieD theme and asked me where I got it. I mentioned CrackBerry.com and also told her I am lak611 here. I also told her there are loads of free themes available.

I will not visit that doctor until next year, so I will not know if she joined, unless she sends me a PM.
    08-18-10 10:11 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD