With a release date of Oct/Nov for the first BB10 RIM needs
    something released this Summer to stop the bleeding.
    how about a new bold similar to what they did with the 9700
    they release the 9780 with better camera more Ram and
    black chrome housing along with OS6.
    How bout a 9990 with the Torch's 5mp camera with auto focus
    and in front use the Playbooks 3mp front facing camera with the
    addition of a little more Ram and a better battery.
    Maybe even make the sides black chrome to make it stand out.
    With a release date of July.
    I know their busy with BB10, but making this model wont take much
    as they already have all the hardware in house. Plus it will
    only take a small team to produce these as they will be using the same
    OS7.

Edit: opps 9990
    Last edited by llllBULLSEYE; 03-04-12 at 10:26 PM.
    Morty2264 and bobauckland like this.
    03-04-12 10:19 PM
    Giddy up cowboys/girls, get that done good idea.
    03-04-12 10:44 PM
    Well unless they are already working on it it is too late to get it out that soon. Right?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    03-04-12 10:57 PM
    i like the idea, kind of like a stop gap but i agree with southlander (#3). even with all the tech in house i still think it would take to long to put out there.
    03-04-12 11:01 PM
    True, I kinda hope they have something brewing. Although PB2.0 could sell a few more phones over the low period if marketed right/at all.
    03-04-12 11:01 PM
    I think at this point, people that don't already have BB7 devices(or who aren't getting one soon) are waiting for BB10 to drop....

I believe the hype and anticipation of BB10 has taken a hit to BlackBerry sells.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-05-12 12:38 AM
    I agree MACKSnare519 I know I'm waiting for BB10 ... Just not sure on which form factor I'll decide on this time around (assuming they have 3 or 4 form factors).
    03-05-12 12:42 AM
    Yeah they should release 1 final high end bb7 phone. bump the ram to 1gb, maybe increase screen resolution too.
    03-05-12 12:57 AM
    Ive said before that i would more likely switch to the iPhone but here i am still stuck with my Bold 9780 while waiting for new phone releases this year just so i will not regret anything. if I'm patient enough, im even considering waiting until the BB10 devices are released! Saw some leaks before and the form factor was brilliant!
    03-05-12 03:46 AM
    This is where RIM need to wise up.
    What about making one with better hardware running OS7 that will be upgradable to BB10 later?
    When BB10 lands that will become the low end device?
    Because what BlackBerry devices need now is a bump in specs, badly.
    03-05-12 07:14 AM
    Oh geesh not another device. I'll feel compelled to buy it, given my BB addiction.
    I'm already saving for a 9900 form factor BB10 device. If something else is released I'll buy that and then have to start all over again!!!!
    03-05-12 07:32 AM
    The Only way I'd agree with a Bold 9980 or 9990 would be if they put the PlayBook Internals into the BB 9980, with an HSPA+ Radio, I'm sure they already had prototypes with that before the push back to wanting a global LTE launch.

The device would launch with OS7 but be upgradable to BB10 within 3 months of BB10 launch,

it would truly be a stop gap phone,
    fanatical and llllBULLSEYE like this.
    03-05-12 07:36 AM
    I think this is a very GOOD idea, one last "FLAGSHIP" using the BlackBerry OS before the QNX OS takes over. Their are still consumers that like Keypads, and to wait until 2013 for the release of a QNX with a keypad would be a long time to wait. Improve upon the 99xx and release it sometime in June would be monumental.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:43 AM
    That sounds like a high end phone. I'm not sure it sends the right message releasing a high end phone and then in 2 months it won't be upgradeable to the new OS. Not the kind of message you want to send your customers.

just my 2 cents..
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:44 AM
    The Only way I'd agree with a Bold 9980 or 9990 would be if they put the PlayBook Internals into the BB 9980, with an HSPA+ Radio, I'm sure they already had prototypes with that before the push back to wanting a global LTE launch.

The device would launch with OS7 but be upgradable to BB10 within 3 months of BB10 launch,

But I thought they were waiting on chips for their BB10 devices?

I don't want to see a BB10 device without lte. Not in the US anyways.
    03-05-12 07:46 AM
    But I thought they were waiting on chips for their BB10 devices?

I don't want to see a BB10 device without lte. Not in the US anyways.
    They are waiting for LTE Chips yes,

because you can't do an all carirer in North America Launch without LTE on the BB10 device

that doesn't mean they couldn't use a HSPA+ device for just GSM people, which would be good for the UK market as well, as they have no near term plans for LTE deployment.

and YOU don't have to buy the device, that is what is wonderful, I agree the first BB10 launched devices NEED to have LTE, but to make a stop gap device upgradable that doesn't have LTE doesn't hurt.

you don't advertise that it will be BB10 upgradable, but you have the components and let the rumor market run with it.
    03-05-12 07:51 AM
    They are waiting for LTE Chips yes,

because you can't do an all carirer in North America Launch without LTE on the BB10 device

that doesn't mean they couldn't use a HSPA+ device for just GSM people, which would be good for the UK market as well, as they have no near term plans for LTE deployment.

and YOU don't have to buy the device, that is what is wonderful, I agree the first BB10 launched devices NEED to have LTE, but to make a stop gap device upgradable that doesn't have LTE doesn't hurt.

you don't advertise that it will be BB10 upgradable, but you have the components and let the rumor market run with it.
    My question is do they even have a keyboard prototype BB10 phone out there?

The screen may be too small for gestures, that it what I'm worried about. If I come back to Black, it will because of the keyboard on a BB10 device. A small part of me thinks either the gestures are troublesome on a keyboard phone with a smaller screen or the keyboard is not in RIM's plans. Knowing RIM, if a BB10 keyboard phone was planned for a launch with BB10, we would have seen it by now.
    03-05-12 07:59 AM
    My question is do they even have a keyboard prototype BB10 phone out there?

The screen may be too small for gestures, that it what I'm worried about. If I come back to Black, it will because of the keyboard on a BB10 device. A small part of me thinks either the gestures are troublesome on a keyboard phone with a smaller screen or the keyboard is not in RIM's plans. Knowing RIM, if a BB10 keyboard phone was planned for a launch with BB10, we would have seen it by now.
    This is NOT the RIM we know

RIM would not have scrapped plans for devices in the past to create a global launch, RIM never would have been trying to be on the cutting edge of a hardware tech they always lagged behind because they have very extensive testing requirements.

I really can't see how the PlayBook gestures wouldn't work on a keyboard BlackBerry, all of the gestures are pretty simple and strait forward from end to middle or end to end, there are no odd gestures like a double J for move things so screen size doesn't matter, it is far more icon support, and size of grabable icons and menu's

I am sure the Keyboard BB10 phone is not planned for launch, but there is most likely prototyps for it, as there were prototypes for a slider device, and a few other devices that got scrapped in favor of a carrier wide launch.

RIM can't abandon the Keyboard, the Keyboard is a big part of what has kept them relevant at all in North America, Few users in North America are worried about their data usage, and SMS usage, it is the Keyboard that kept a good many on BB, or the fact that the Keyboard kept a good many of their friends, they stayed with BB with an All touch unit.

BUT the HOT form factor is the slab touchscreen, they need to be seens as sexy before they go back to business
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-05-12 08:08 AM
    That sounds like a high end phone. I'm not sure it sends the right message releasing a high end phone and then in 2 months it won't be upgradeable to the new OS. Not the kind of message you want to send your customers.

just my 2 cents..
    I disagree....a QNX phone with a keypad is...IMO...at least a year away. BlackBerry trademark is their keypad and to develop that type phone takes time and a enhanced 99xx would satisfy the customers who want keypads.
    03-05-12 08:20 AM
    Yeah that's another thing we won't see a keyboard BB10 phone until early 2013 that's too far away for most. A 9990 that will be able to use some of the funtions of BB10 once its release. Also once they release this phone they can do a price drop on the reg Bold maybe free on contract $449 off contract.
    03-05-12 09:21 AM

I was about to jump all over the OP, as I believe the last thing RIM needs right now is another OS7 device. The focus right now really needs to be getting BB10 out. However, after reading yet another very wise post by Stephen, yes..... I could see this helping RIM if the device was upgradeable to BB10. I for one would certainly purchase such a device. My 9000 is still working great, but I need something NEW

As for the gestures on a 9900 form factor. I think they would work "OK" I've briefly played with my daughters 9900 with the bridge remote, and the gesture support really isn't all that bad, at least compared to the keyboard shortcuts I need to use on my 9000. So if implemented natively, I'm sure they work work just fine.... Maybe not as nice as on a full touch device, but well enough that those who demand a keyboard wouldn't be disappointed.
    03-05-12 09:45 AM
    I just fail to see how they can upgrade from OS7 to BB10 on the same device. Would require a complete OS swap. . . and with that there are WAAAAAAY too many things that could go wrong. RIM Doesn't need the bad press or the potential po'd customers. Right now they need to Keep It Simple. Also, another OS7 device to further dilute the company and the customers ? No. Anyone who buys OS7 now is NOT going to be in a position to upgrade to BB10 within next year or two (except the die hards who pay full price) so it would not be a smart move to lock more customers into a contract this close to the BB10 release.

My 2 cents .
    03-05-12 12:58 PM
    I just fail to see how they can upgrade from OS7 to BB10 on the same device. Would require a complete OS swap. . . and with that there are WAAAAAAY too many things that could go wrong. RIM Doesn't need the bad press or the potential po'd customers. Right now they need to Keep It Simple. Also, another OS7 device to further dilute the company and the customers ? No. Anyone who buys OS7 now is NOT going to be in a position to upgrade to BB10 within next year or two (except the die hards who pay full price) so it would not be a smart move to lock more customers into a contract this close to the BB10 release.

My 2 cents .
    I agree, they don't need the bad press of a failed upgrade but I really don't think it'd be that difficult..... no different then flashing any other device, I do them all the time and have never run into any major issues (although I've heard some horror stories).

On the point of diluting customers further, I don't think it would. Many have jumped ship or are considering it, because they just can't wait for BB10. If they could get a 99xx with the promise of BB10 upgrade in 6 months or so, I'm sure many would opt to stick around. Additionally, it would help RIMs revenues in the short term. I'm sure there'll be no lack of sales once the BB10's are released.

I think we agree in principal, like I said last thing we need is another OS7 device, however if it was an upgradeable device, and could be released with out taking up too many of RIMs resources which I'm sure are needed elsewhere, then yes go for it.
    03-05-12 01:35 PM
    This is what 9900 should have been.
    9900 is RIM's flagship (!) device before BB10...
    03-05-12 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD