Hey guys. I have been a lurker for a while now, but just recently got an 8330. I am on verizon and wonder if they have a fee for using the google maps/gps app on my phone. I know they offer vz navigator, but I don't want to have to pay an additional fee if possible. I thank you in advance for all your help.

Ben

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 01:37 AM
    Hey guys. I have been a lurker for a while now, but just recently got an 8330. I am on verizon and wonder if they have a fee for using the google maps/gps app on my phone. I know they offer vz navigator, but I don't want to have to pay an additional fee if possible. I thank you in advance for all your help.

Ben

Your Good Ben google maps is a free service since you have verizon you have a data plan that gives you unlimited usage. So go ahead and d/l.
    07-17-09 02:45 AM
    Thanks a bunch guys.... I really appreciate it.

Ben

07-17-09 12:39 PM
    Thanks a bunch guys.... I really appreciate it.

Ben

You can download and use google maps no problem but it won't be able to access your exact gps location as verizon blocks access to that (it triangulates your position based on cell phone towers).

You can get an external bluetooth receiver and link it to your new phone and then google maps will be able to get your exact gps location from the external unit.
    07-17-09 03:39 PM
    Even with only using triangulation from cell towers I found it an excellent app

07-23-09 02:30 PM
    Google does NOT triangulate...it estimates your location based on the tower you are accessing and the range of that tower. You might be 5ft or 5000 meters from that tower. If you are in town where the towers are closer together it is more accurate than in rural areas where the towers are spread out. Also the ability to use the gps on an 8330 with google is spotty at best(vzw or not) if its an 8330m it won't work regardless of carrier. The gps chip in these phones(I use an 8330)is weak. If a person is really in need of a nav system a dedicated unit like garmin or tom tom is a much better investment.

07-23-09 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD