07-16-08 02:59 PM
26 12
tools
    Not sure if people are aware. But, GMail has a new email applicaiton (same as before), but this one has email notification...

Once installed, go to your profiles, and edit how you want it to notify you. Also, in the applicaiton, go to menu / options / more / settings, and make sure the notification is set to ON

GMail Mobile applicaiton
    02-06-08 12:03 PM
    I downloaded the new version and I'm VERY excited to get notifications for my Gmail app! Thank you!!!
    02-13-08 06:48 PM
    oh wow! as soon as my BB is fixed, I'm SO downloading that! Thanks for the notice!!
    02-13-08 06:59 PM
    Why use this instead of having Gmail setup in BIS? Does it show HTML emails?
    02-13-08 08:54 PM
    it looks and feel like using your pc instead of Phone ( albeit a very small PC screen)
    02-14-08 01:06 AM
    A few of the benefits of using the app is that you can star, label, and archive new mail. as well as see all your old email.

One of the downsides is that you cannot highlight and copy text from an email.

For me I like it because I am more often at my computer and I don't always want email coming to my BB. With the app I can easily check email when I want without it always coming to my BB.
    Last edited by sunkast; 02-14-08 at 02:36 AM.
    02-14-08 02:19 AM
    so if i use this can i delete my gmail.com email from my phone and just use the app? Sorry newb warning lol
    02-14-08 02:26 AM
    Sure. You might not get new mail instantly though. I think the app only checks for new mail every 20 mins. Both the gmail app, and seeing up your gmail account under BIS have their own pros and cons.
    02-14-08 02:30 AM
    Can anyone confirm what the latest version number is? I have 1.5.1 on my phone (which has the notification feature). I'm just wondering if there is a new version than what I have.
    02-14-08 02:36 AM
    Why use this instead of having Gmail setup in BIS? Does it show HTML emails?
    • No, it doesn't do HTML. It tends to strip out all the HTML, including links, leaving you with just plain text.
    • You have access to every email on Gmail you've ever sent or received. They don't seem to take up any memory on the BlackBerry, depending on your settings. Depending how it's set, it may just keep the dates, subjects, and from lines in memory.
    • It does automatically thread your emails with replies into "conversations".
    • It serves attachments from Google Docs rather than routing them through BIS mail. Word files, PDFs, Excel files get changed into plain text.
    • You can use Gmail labels to filter.
    • You can report a message as spam, rather than just deleting it.

Sunkast, I have 1.5.1.1090 which I think is the latest build (as of a couple of days ago).
    02-14-08 07:20 PM
    Ahhh... I'm trying it out, but it seems that emails still come in faster on BIS. However, it is nice to be able to have access to the entire inbox.
    02-14-08 07:33 PM
    Ahhh... I'm trying it out, but it seems that emails still come in faster on BIS. However, it is nice to be able to have access to the entire inbox.
    Here is the only "down side" I have with it. I can't attach pictures to it. I want to delete my gmail off the bis and use this, but when I want to email what do I do?

Click
    02-14-08 07:40 PM
    Sunkast, 1.5.1 is the most recent version of gmail.
    02-14-08 07:47 PM
    Not sure if people are aware. But, GMail has a new email applicaiton (same as before), but this one has email notification...

Once installed, go to your profiles, and edit how you want it to notify you. Also, in the applicaiton, go to menu / options / more / settings, and make sure the notification is set to ON

GMail Mobile applicaiton
    Excellent post. It's keeping each other informed with great info like this that really makes CrackBerry a terrific resource to visit daily.
    02-15-08 01:01 AM
    I'm with KASPERAPD on this one. I have mine set up through BIS and it works fine for me. I just don't really want to download a lot of apps due to the fact your Berry will get bogged down before you know it. I've seen a few people with it downloaded on their Berries and asked the same question. I guess, to each's own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-08 02:31 AM
    If you need immediate email access. Gmail through BIS is the way to go. Delivery to the BB is darn near instantaneous.
    02-15-08 05:50 AM
    Are you still getting GMail in a sec or two? I have noticed a MAJOR delay over the past week or two. I have pulled the battery and resent service books no change. I was guessing it was something Google was doing to force you to use this.
    02-15-08 04:42 PM
    Here is the only "down side" I have with it. I can't attach pictures to it.
    That's true. It can't send attachments. Google's main aim is "search" so it's much better for reading than it is for writing. I use it for accessing my archive, which I find very useful. I haven't really used it to send messages.
    02-15-08 08:36 PM
    I may give that app a try. The way I have it setup now is to forward mail from gmail to my BB account. It gets to me instantly. It almost seems there's no wrong way to do it.
    02-15-08 09:37 PM
    Shortcuts for the application...

Using a NON-QWERTY device:
    * 1 - Search mail
    * 2 - Compose mail
    * * 3 - Mark as read / unread
    * * 4 - Reply
    * * 5 - Reply to all
    * * 6 - Forward
    * * 7 - Delete conversation
    * * 8 - Report Spam
    * * 9 - Archive conversation
    * * * - Star / Unstar a conversation
    * * 0 - Refresh Inbox
    * * # - View message details

Using a QWERTY device:
    # c - Compose mail
    # / - Search mail
    # k - Move to newer conversation
    # j - Move to older conversation
    # # - Delete conversion
    # s - Star / unstar conversation
    # y - Archive conversation
    # m - Mute conversation
    # ! - Report Spam
    # o/enter - Open conversation
    # n - Next conversation
    # p - Previous conversation
    # r - Reply
    # a - Reply All
    # f - Forward
    02-23-08 12:52 PM
    When I want "immediate" mail on my Gmail, I bring up the menu and hit "refresh" and it loads the pending emails right away rather than waiting the 20 minutes for the auto refresh.

Lis
    02-23-08 04:33 PM
    How is this new? I have had this for 2 months now. U always had notification.

02-24-08 01:07 PM
    I meant "I". Stupid SureType!

02-24-08 01:08 PM
    Hey guys,

I downloaded this app and I love it. However, is there a way to delete the body of an email when replying to an email? I hate replying to an email without being able to remove the text for the previous email.
    02-26-08 01:47 PM
    Newbie alert! Is there a way to NOT be notified of email on BIS that I have filtered in GMail to skip the inbox? I do that a lot with mail such as ads from Best Buy, Circuit City, Container Store, etc. and would prefer not to be interrupted when those hit GMail. Thanks!
    06-21-08 06:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD