I bought an unlocked curve 8320 from PureMobile. I inserted my Rogers pay-as-you-go sim card. I have no data plan. What I wanted was to phone and text and access the internet at Starbucks--(maybe send and recieve the odd email) that's all. Got a few problems! Phone works great-text works great-camera works great. I downloaded the desktop software directly from Rim. The CD didn't work and an old post on this site gave the link. So the program is in my computer(PC w Vista)-- don't know how to get it into the phone! Also has anyone figured out how to use the wifi and not get charged by Rogers. Spent about $30 last night accessing my own internet! Haven't tried Starbucks yet! Last question(for now!) do I need a data plan to get Blackberry apps ie games into my new phone?
    06-19-09 07:41 PM
    um if you spend $30 accessing your "own" internet, then you werent on wifi. while connected to your home router, shouldnt cost you anything. sounds like you need to check your settings again. as youre browsing, "WiFi" should appear on top of your screen, not EDGE.
    06-19-09 08:12 PM
    Try Setting your WiFi to hotspot browser and turn off the mobile network in manage connections. That way you will only be on WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 03:18 AM
    So the program is in my computer(PC w Vista)-- don't know how to get it into the phone! ...
    The software on the CD is BlackBerry Desktop Manager, I assume that is the software you downloaded from BlackBerry support.

This software is not intended to be installed on your device. I suspect you are looking for the actual device software to upgrade.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Once this has been installed on your computer, with the Desktop software, you can upgrade your device to the new version OS software.

has anyone figured out how to use the wifi and not get charged by Rogers. ...
    Ouch... at $10 Mb, it would be very expensive to make that error.

Options / Advanced Options / Browser. Set the Default Browser Config too: Hotspot Browser.

This one does not use Rogers data, it uses Wifi Only.

do I need a data plan to get Blackberry apps ie games into my new phone? ...
    No, you do not need BIS to download and install most simple games. However, many of the useful programs you might consider will require the data connection, shop careful.
    06-20-09 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD