The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The idea here is a proactive way to help RIM with their advertising.

CrackBerry Nation, do we have any aspiring marketers, and intelligent observant people here who can constructively criticize and suggest improvements or new ideas to RIM? I think its time we open up a whole new forum heading under the title, "BlackBerry Marketing Strategy."

With the following subcategories:
    • Advertisements with Impact
    • Advertisements Failures
    • Advertisement Ideas
    • Advertising on Social Media
    • Advertising Events
    • Advertising Online

After the debacle of the fun New Years graphic that was the BeBold Team, I contacted RIM through the BETA Zone and suggested a public BETA for people who would like to give feedback on upcoming marketing campaigns to ensure nothing as embarrassing ever happened again.

To this I received a reply ensuring me outside testing was done before any ad campaign was released. Well, between the BeBold with cupcakes ad, and today's 10,000 'likes' on fb to reveal this awesome picture post, which was immensely disappointing. I no longer wish to stand on the side lines.

What say you CrackBerry Nation? We know they're watching our Forums, and if you guys like this idea, and the CrackBerry leaders like this idea, then in one concentrated place we can tell RIM advertising needs to be taken seriously, what has worked for them in the past, what didn't, and that it needs to improve across the board.

In social media, on television, across the internet, on the radio, and at sponsored events. RIM needs to hit us hard come BB10. The preparations need to start, RIM needs to ramp things up and let people know they're here, they're growing, and they're going to change everything!
    04-10-12 11:48 PM
    Why not go for collective design of the devices?.. lets pick the subcontractors RIM should use in manufacturing..? or lets have CB vote on the organisational structure?.. hiring of VPs?..

See how absurd those statements are?.. well, same applies to marketing and PR..

RIM has professional experienced folks responsible for all of those jobs and despite what 99.9% of CB folks think, marketing and PR is and area where you need knowledge, skill and experience in order to be able to constructively help.

In addition to those requirements, you also need products that the customer wants.. and sorry, my friend, but that is the fundamental problem with RIM today... It is being addressed and while yup, a good marketing & PR campaign can put lipstick on a pig, if you want a puppy then you wont buy it regardless.

I have every confidence that there is in place a solid PR & marketing plan to introduce and roll out the BB10 devices .
    04-11-12 07:09 AM
    Why not go for collective design of the devices?.. lets pick the subcontractors RIM should use in manufacturing..? or lets have CB vote on the organisational structure?.. hiring of VPs?..

See how absurd those statements are?.. well, same applies to marketing and PR..

RIM has professional experienced folks responsible for all of those jobs and despite what 99.9% of CB folks think, marketing and PR is and area where you need knowledge, skill and experience in order to be able to constructively help.

In addition to those requirements, you also need products that the customer wants.. and sorry, my friend, but that is the fundamental problem with RIM today... It is being addressed and while yup, a good marketing & PR campaign can put lipstick on a pig, if you want a puppy then you wont buy it regardless.

I have every confidence that there is in place a solid PR & marketing plan to introduce and roll out the BB10 devices .

The 'I dream of BlackBerry10' designs would be equivalent to sourcing out design to a collective. Several of the members here have submitted their designs as to what they would like to see in a Blackberry and the community has given plenty of feedback on those designs.

Subcontractors, organizational structure, and the hiring of vps, however, are not consumer oriented.
    When I said aspiring marketers, I actually meant people who are educated in the field. Either current students, grads, or those working in the field is what I was getting at, as well as other intelligent people around the forum.

One thing that is important in marketing is knowing your audience. Here at CrackBerry we have the single largest BlackBerry fan base localized to a single place. We could easily provide a massive group of people for market research. Perhaps we would be better suited to advertising used to maintain current users and push upgrades, but there are new users here as well that have been more recently influenced to join the BlackBerry nation.

I don't suggest RIM solely rely on us for their marketing decisions, but I think the community does have benefits to offer.

Also I do hope you are right that RIM will have solid marketing in place for the launch of BlackBerry 10, I'm excited for it and want to see it succeed. I'll be getting my hands on one as soon as possible, but I think to get everyone else feeling the same strong marketing has to be done across the board in all forms of media they use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-11-12 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD