I received an email from RIM about Blackberry asking me to complete a survey about Blackberry products. After questions about family working for a phone company/government/etc. and one about my age, the third one was about whether I was currently using a BB or a was a former user. Since I switched from a Storm to an Incredible and then iPhone, I hit the third option and then the survey was over. I guess they really didn't want my opinion.

I wonder what the aim of the survey was. It obviously wasn't to ask why I left or what I think it would take to bring me back to RIM. I was just curious what other people got since it obviously wasn't what I thought it would be.
    03-04-11 05:21 PM
    maybe they just wanted your information so they can beter track you lol
    03-04-11 05:43 PM
    They just wanted your address. RIM is hunting down and eliminating users of other platforms in order to increase market share
    03-04-11 06:33 PM
    I got it too, I still have a blackberry but it still stopped the survey at the same question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 06:40 PM
    Could very well be that all they want to know is demographic info of current and former BB users. Sometimes it's as simple as that ... just a measurement, not a satisfaction survey. Satisfaction surveys and other touchy-feely stuff like focus groups are used much earlier in the development process, more to figure out what products to develop. Measurement-type surveys, like what sounds like you guys received, help them to figure out who's the prime group using their stuff, which they'll use to better market what they've already developed.

But better be careful answering the door or starting your car, just in case Jake Storm is right.

03-04-11 11:08 PM
    They just wanted your address. RIM is hunting down and eliminating users of other platforms in order to increase market share
    lol too funny
    03-05-11 09:19 AM
    That seems like a completely pointless survey. What good is knowing people left the platform without trying to understand why?
    03-05-11 09:23 AM
    It goes in the circular file.
    03-05-11 09:59 AM
    That seems like a completely pointless survey. What good is knowing people left the platform without trying to understand why?

They are just trying to get a damage report. So right now, this is the most pertinent information.
    03-05-11 10:39 AM
    They are just trying to get a damage report. So right now, this is the most pertinent information.
    You guys reading all the posts here? Coles-Torch still has a BB and got the same survey. It's about acquiring demographics, which is for an entirely different purpose than who left and why.
    03-05-11 10:43 AM
    You guys reading all the posts here? Coles-Torch still has a BB and got the same survey. It's about acquiring demographics, which is for an entirely different purpose than who left and why.
    I understand that part, just still don't understand why they didn't ask even one or two other questions, which would add significantly to their understanding of how the demographics play out with the current/former user thing. I can't imagine that boosting the cost too much.
    03-05-11 10:54 AM
    I understand that part, just still don't understand why they didn't ask even one or two other questions, which would add significantly to their understanding of how the demographics play out with the current/former user thing. I can't imagine that boosting the cost too much.
    Oh, I completely agree with the value a few more questions would add. But in most cases, it's two entirely different exercises -- maybe even different departments -- that will evaluate the results of a numbers vs. opinion survey. The former is simply categorizing basic measurable facts like age, sex, marital status, annual income, and BB ownership/non-ownership. These all have finite domain values that can be put into a neat, concise picture. The latter has a potentially infinite number of opinion responses that takes a huge effort to pour through and weed out trends and patterns ... that's the part that would boost the cost significantly.

A lot of companies just assume there's going to be some degree of churn -- especially with customers as fickle as smart phone buyers -- and have an acceptable level of it before they'll resort to an opinion survey. And really, once a company reaches that point, they're probably way out of touch with their customer base and it's already too late. I don't even know if Nokia ever did one, and it's a pretty safe bet that MS never did.
    03-05-11 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD