Great to here some positive news today when most people have been slagging off RIM. Glad you are happy and welcome to the family.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jpr7373; 06-30-11 at 05:28 PM.
    06-30-11 05:06 PM
    Hummmm....I'm sensing members of the show planted in the audience on this one. Call me suspicious, but I'm not buying this. Are we to believe that a two-day BB user is not only totally savvy with the BB OS, it's marketing short-falls and repution, he's found and become a member of CB, he's completely developed an opinion and is doing all of this in-between patients? I'd like to think that my thoughts on this are incorrect, but... If I am wrong, please accept my apology and allow me to welcome you to the BB world!
    Sent from my Verizon Wireless ShoePhone

Wow the conspiracy theories are starting to be abundant around here, maybe so and maybe not.
    06-30-11 05:09 PM
    Hi, I'm new too, both to Blackberry and this forum and I agree with almost everything in your post.

I've had a Blackberry Curve 8520 for just over a week. What I love about it most is that it does the basic things very well and, as far as I can tell, better than any other smartphone. It's intuitive and incredibly simple to use, I had an HTC previously which was frustatingly fiddly on the simple things to the point that it wasn't actually that good at being a basic telephone!

I especially love having the 5 important icons right in front of me - contacts, calander, sms messages, work email and personal email (I especially like having the latter two totally separate).

I think the bb is also great when it comes to managing data but if there's one thing I could change it would be to make this more flexible so that I could chose exactly what I keep on the phone and/or the memory card.

I seriously looked at Android and Windows 7 phones before deciding on the bb, I really don't get the appeal for cloud storage - no signal no data!?

Someone else was criticising RIM's marketing and I think they have a point. I found it very difficult and frustrating to understand exactly what I would get with a bb. There is a lot of jargon to sort through for the unitiated and virtually no help to understand it - BIS, BES, BMS, blackberry instant messsenger, blackberry mail, blackberry email, blackberry mail booster, unlimited internet, internet booster, blackberry internet services, data allowance, data cap etc etc were all meaningless to me two weeks ago in the context of blackberry. To make things even more confusing, different networks have there own bb terminology. It's all pretty straightforward with other smartphones but absolutely not with blackberrys.

Finally a question; if I'm overseas and send an email pin to pin, will this charged in the same way as data for sending standard emails? (I'm on t-mobile)
    Strider, PIN messages are standard data, not charged like a text. It works beautifully, and I message with people all over the world.

StriderUK likes this.
    06-30-11 05:12 PM
    @bobauckland, that was a nice cheek on the title! I was going, 'Oh, no, not another one!'

Your discovery, albeit later in the game, is refreshing to see. I'm a BlackBerry user because it works efficiently, and I use it in lieu of a laptop or PC. It is very capable, and looks to be more so in the future.

Wecome to the CrackBerry forums, and glad ya made it here!

06-30-11 05:20 PM

......In which time there will be 2 more iphones that look absolutely the same.....
    Unlike blackberry devices which are radically different and look nothing like each other.

anon(3733516) likes this.
    06-30-11 05:31 PM
    Unlike blackberry devices which are radically different and look nothing like each other.

Pearl, Bold, Style, Storm, Torch don't exactly look the same do they?
    06-30-11 05:38 PM
    Nice post, now you know how there are so many diehards. Welcome to the addiction
    06-30-11 05:40 PM

Thats my point. Iphones have barely changed, I dont see a massive difference in your average Android device appearance, and Blackberries look the same.
    If a design works for you why not.
    What I fail to understand is why its a lack of innovation when RIM do it, and building on strengths when the big 2 do it.
    Personally, and I know this is just personally, the BB form factor works far better for my needs than a glass brick.
    06-30-11 05:44 PM
    Thats my point. Iphones have barely changed, I dont see a massive difference in your average Android device appearance, and Blackberries look the same.
    If a design works for you why not.
    What I fail to understand is why its a lack of innovation when RIM do it, and building on strengths when the big 2 do it.
    Personally, and I know this is just personally, the BB form factor works far better for my needs than a glass brick.
    I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic lol, get used to it
    06-30-11 05:47 PM
    My opinion is the iphone and all the who knows how many android phones out there. Everyone loves the phone at first and are amazed at what the phone can do, but eventually the novelty wears off and they end up using thier phones same a bb user would, but with more annoyance and frustration than any bb user will ever see. a full touch screen android that if it touches your cheeck and the call is ended by your chubby cheeks, or the idropphone, that drops calls every 2nd try.

my curve was great, my torch has been even better, and they do just what i need from a phone, so why would i try the trendy phones?
    06-30-11 05:53 PM
    So well said! Welcome to Crackberry too! Another benefit for us BB owners. How true about functionality, and about the use of stats and how people fall over themselves following those stats. And I loved your later paragraph about the frustrated picture of yourself...how true.

Again welcome.
    Last edited by storm_fan2009; 06-30-11 at 08:56 PM.
    06-30-11 08:53 PM
    My opinion is the iphone and all the who knows how many android phones out there. Everyone loves the phone at first and are amazed at what the phone can do, but eventually the novelty wears off and they end up using thier phones same a bb user would, but with more annoyance and frustration than any bb user will ever see. a full touch screen android that if it touches your cheeck and the call is ended by your chubby cheeks, or the idropphone, that drops calls every 2nd try.

my curve was great, my torch has been even better, and they do just what i need from a phone, so why would i try the trendy phones?
    hmm, i'd think that if everyone was frustrated with android and iphone they'd stop buying them, what exactly is more frustrating about it? android seems to require a lot less interaction for set up situations and streamlined than blackberry is. obvious this all comes down to personal preference, but i won't be looking back unless QNX is mind blowing. though i do still have a lot of interest in what RIM is doing. why would a call end if it touches your cheek? all the phones have proximity sensors that turn the screen off if it's near your face during a call. granted the iphone is a pretty terrible device for phones, but most dropped call issues are network related. i personally can get around much faster on my htc than any blackberry i've had, but we'll see if QNX can turn heads like it's expected to.
    06-30-11 09:13 PM
    Hey welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Your thinking process is the same as all the other BB user. We rather have functionality over flashiness. What you describe is the main reason why we love BBs.checkout the app called show me the images.

You did not mention the form factors compared to android phones. What is your opinion on that? I think BB fits perfectly in our hand and I can actually type one handed which is hard to do on touch screen.

Oh, if you want to add more functionality I would consider Quick Launch. With that app, I can do a lot more things then I could possibly imagine. All of my useful apps,emails and contact is just one button push away! Bebuzz and Quicklaunch should've come with the phone out of the box IMO. I can't live without Opera either. A 3rd party browser with the speed almost as fast as androids and it display in desktop view.

The knock on BB at least for me is that large email gets truncated...then again I rarely get email over 2M or whatever the limit is. Hopefully RIM will get this straight on the newer QNX.

Need any other question feel free to ask. :-)

checkout the app called show me the images.

06-30-11 09:15 PM
    i'm surprised u didn't switch to bb earlier as well. from ur description, it sounds like ur lifestyle is perfectly complimented by a bb.

i'm on iphone 4 now, but if there's still no doubt in my mind that BB is the fastest and most efficient at going from point A to B in terms of communication and productivity.

on another note, overall how was the hero? how deep did u get into android? did u root urs, install custom firmwares, etc? i'm contemplating picking up an android phone just for fun.
    06-30-11 09:16 PM
    Welcome-welcome-and how refreshing to hear someone that is not whining! I have a Storm 2 and came from a Storm 1. I don't have any of the problems that most complain about with the Storm. No reboots here-no problems that I couldn't trace back to something that I did. That being said- I want a phone that calls and performs what I need it to do. My blackberry does that. I don't need thousands of games. I do like a little flash and bling so I have added some great quality themes and several (about 20) apps that make my blackberry everything I need it to be!
    06-30-11 09:33 PM
    I too am a convert. Welcome to Crackberry. This site alone makes owning a Blackberry that much better.

curvedthumb likes this.
    06-30-11 09:46 PM
    Welcome to BlackBerry! Best phone in the world!
    06-30-11 10:01 PM
    Any advice on good games anyone?
    For free games, I suggest:
    Pixelated
    FallDown
    Battles Unlimited (Battleship)
    Number Cruncher
    Memory
    Copter
    Ka-Glom

Paid:
    Pinball Deluxe
    BeeSweeper (Minesweeper)

I know there were several others but after upgrading my 9700 to OS 6.0 I deleted a ton of games.
    bobauckland likes this.
    06-30-11 10:44 PM
    Welcome! when I saw this post on front page of CB, i thought "oh great another ***** fest" but you pleasantly surprised me!
    like you, I tried an android for a couple of months but the novelty wore off and I had to come back to blackberry.
    06-30-11 10:45 PM
    Welcome aboard! I guess it has come to this, that a positive thread has to be teased as trolling (and picked up on the splash page as "Another disappointment). However it has to be for the time being. I am one of those long-time RIM customers who hasn't lost faith, mainly because my RIM products (and the much unfairly maligned apps that run on them) continue to serve my needs so well. It is more than passing strange that this tumultuous period for RIM may also turn out to be a time, within a few weeks or months, when RIM products have never been better. The new handsets look terrific and the Playbook continues to improve (and we are just starting to see the solid Blackberry apps appear). In the time since launch, for example, there were a number of posts about using a wireless bluetooth keyboard with the Playbook, but those early threads tended to degrade toward the usual griping about the new OS and potential compatibility issues, so I put off buying one.

But I believe there is an objective reality out there, beyond the disinformation and pettiness, and that is where the weight of the quality of RIM's products and the dependability of its software carriers real weight and gravitational force. With a sizable and growing user base (regardless of relation to financial analysts' projections) learning the new device I think we may be beginning to see a subtle shift in the tenor of the comments and in some cases the media coverage. A word of mouth sort of thing (some concepts never get old). SO the latest thread on the wireless keyboard goes up, and while there is some angst, there is also a few helpful, sober recommendations and helpful suggestions, so I take the plunge, get the keyboard and it works exactly as advertised and syncs up without a hitch.

Poynt had been another troublesome app, but it has been steadily upgraded and earlier today, running the latest version, I launched it and it picked up the GPS in less than 10 seconds. Score Mobile is a terrific Blackberry app that has just launched for Playbook, and while it is only a first try, it is also very good and promising. So some of us who have been irritated by the tenor and tone all the long are now seeing gripes repackaged and reposted as if fresh new RIM atrocities. Insulting to a RIM partisan on its own, but when the basis of the gripe is flatly and simply contradicted by actual, working, everyday experience, it becomes maddening. But it may be the tide is slowly turning. I don't mean that RIM will ascend to the heavens and stock-price glory, but that the core quality of the enterprise will win out in the long run.

Expect a heavy negative full-court press when the new handsets with 7.0 roll out. Virtually no one has given it a run through, but its already been the victim of long-range sniping. I expect that a lot of the launch criticism will be that 7.0 lacks that Chef of the Future appeal, and the reviews will skim past how well the devices and OS carry out the tasks they were designed for and that buyers will use them for. How many variants of "had this handset come out 18 months ago" or "nice enough, but not enough to right the listing ship" themes will be pasted into the reviews. They were practically written the day the devices were leaked. I can't near remember the number of my first RIM OS, but I do know that in all the years I've used RIM products the company has continued to work on their OS and have never failed, in my experience, to improve upon the previous. I like 6.0 a lot and am looking forward to 7.0 and am heartened to know that its QNX replacement is already on the board. RIM has taken to calling this steady progression "cadence" which I quite like. That methodology does not generate heavy buzz or produce launch event gasping, but its the stuff most successful businesses were built on.
    06-30-11 10:56 PM
    Welcome to BB!!!

Just like you, I honestly believe BB does what I need it to do far more efficiently than any other OS. It lacks "flash" and "pizazz" but it just works. That being said, BB is still far from perfect and has a lot of work to do with their new OSs.

I too work in a hospital, and a few apps that I find very helpful are:

Radio Saver - turns off the phone's radio when signal is low to prevent battery draining (especially useful if you work in Radiology like I do)
    QuickLaunch - an absolute must on any BB
    ShowMeTheImages - automatically downloads images in your emails for those email addresses you set
    WiFi Manager - automatically turns off your WiFi when you leave the signal area to help prevent battery drain

Outside of apps that help at work, as a personal preference I prefer Where over Poynt. More options and seems to be faster. i just need them to get off their asses and make an app for the PB!

Again, welcome! Just be prepared to find things over the next few weeks that will irritate you or for the novelty to wear off like it did with your Android. I just don't think those things will be as annoying as it was in your previous OS, and the novelty wearing off won't be as severe because you didn't have a high expectation to begin with.
    bobauckland likes this.
    06-30-11 11:48 PM
    Speaking of hospitals, have you ever noticed that many of the doctors on rounds have an odd-looking artifact hitched to their belts? Pagers! Just like we all used to have in the bad old days! The larger hospitals are such concrete fortresses packed with vital medical devices that getting cell or wifi service is nearly impossible, no matter what you have. But the old beepers still somehow get through, though I don't imagine anyone will be launching a CrackBeeper site anytime soon. It is an example of a device that meets a specific need so precisely that it is immune to the weathers.
    07-01-11 12:06 AM
    Speaking of hospitals, have you ever noticed that many of the doctors on rounds have an odd-looking artifact hitched to their belts? Pagers! Just like we all used to have in the bad old days! The larger hospitals are such concrete fortresses packed with vital medical devices that getting cell or wifi service is nearly impossible, no matter what you have. But the old beepers still somehow get through, though I don't imagine anyone will be launching a CrackBeeper site anytime soon. It is an example of a device that meets a specific need so precisely that it is immune to the weathers.
    I just spent a week in the hospital, in quite a bit of discomfort, with the courtesy of free Wi-Fi in the building. They are so cool about it that while I spent an hour in a scanner, I surfed my BlackBerry and got a lot done. I gave them a big thumbs up on that.

07-01-11 12:14 AM
    I had my 9700 since it came out and I just lost it two weeks ago . I had an upgrade so I figured I would try out the new Atrix 4G cause I thought hey let's give it a shot. BIG MISTAKE. Like you I thought it was neat at first with all its pizzazz - the fingerprint scanner and neat widgets and cool apps. But after about 4 days I was tired of it. The battery was almost dead by the time I got off work every single day and I absolutely HATED the keyboard, and don't even get me started on MotoBlur. The thing had a dual core processor and still hung up and was slower than my 9700... I reversed my upgrade and now I'm stuck with my friends old 3G till the Bold 9900 comes out.

Blackberry is the best messaging device period. And that's what phones are for - communication. Not having thousands of apps to tell you how to wipe your @$$ or rate a fart or any of that useless crap.

Welcome to BB
    Racehorse593 likes this.
    07-01-11 12:17 AM
    I just spent a week in the hospital, in quite a bit of discomfort, with the courtesy of free Wi-Fi in the building. They are so cool about it that while I spent an hour in a scanner, I surfed my BlackBerry and got a lot done. I gave them a big thumbs up on that.

A lot of the better hospitals do offer wifi in certain locations, which is no small kindness to visitors who often have to spend long hours on site under difficult circumstances. But that's not where the sawbones hang out and there isn't free wifi everywhere in hospitals. I'd imagine that would be a HIPPA nightmare if there were.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-01-11 12:21 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD