This has been on my mind for ages and with all these new announcements of all these collaborations, and security threats(hacks etc) and the recent news with cbsa arresting someone for not opening his phone. When you think of it most of us do travel with our laptops and it has a plethora of personal data on it plus as well the back up of our phones and it doesn't have the best security on it.

Wouldn't it be amazing if BlackBerry would make a secure mini laptop not something to huge but sleek and compact like say 9-11 inches with touch screen and could fold to double as a tablet. Should have like a BlackBerry secure email client service (@BlackBerry.com) for a fee, I wouldn't mind paying. With secusmart chip inside for data. BlackBerry is also know for the best keyboard and is patent for it would be amazing to incorporate it with the new touch sensitive keyboard and with a dvd burner. I for one would buy it as there is a need for it and I'm sure I'm not the only one, anyone else would like to see this or have any other ideas to add to it?

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    03-11-15 01:49 PM
    Yeah, ummm, no. They can't get their Mobile OS working correctly and you want them to make a laptop OS? With the lack of apps for the Mobile, do you think they would all of a suddent have over whelming desktop support?

Not meani8ng to be a negative nelly, just using common sense.
    senel, Rello, howarmat and 25 others like this.
    03-11-15 02:10 PM
    Lol it would be amazing if BlackBerry made anything besides a smartphone....but it's not gonna happen. They can't even meet their goal of 10 million phones sold a year and yet these threads keep popping up lol

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and TGR1 like this.
    03-11-15 02:16 PM
    Yeah, ummm, no. They can't get their Mobile OS working correctly and you want them to make a laptop OS? With the lack of apps for the Mobile, do you think they would all of a suddent have over whelming desktop support?

Not meani8ng to be a negative nelly, just using common sense.

Ammm bb10 would work perfectly on a laptop and my phone work perfectly amazing don't know what you talking about as a huge problem as all os have issues some way worst than others with way more revenue than BlackBerry. And as for the app gap really?
    03-11-15 02:20 PM
    Yeah I'm not sure what the previous posters mean by "can't get their mobile os working" - mine works just fine.

Also does someone have "insider information" about how many handsets have been sold? I don't recall any official sales figures coming from BlackBerry.

I don't have an opinion on the proposed laptop though.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    eduzojordan and twirlyboy like this.
    03-11-15 02:27 PM
    Yeah I'm not sure what the previous posters mean by "can't get their mobile os working" - mine works just fine.

Also does someone have "insider information" about how many handsets have been sold? I don't recall any official sales figures coming from BlackBerry.

I don't have an opinion on the proposed laptop though.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    you know those reports they file every 3 months....might want to look at one once and awhile.
    03-11-15 02:31 PM
    Good idea. Just be sure to price it significantly under the $250 price point for inexpensive Windows notebooks and Chromebooks.
    Originalloverman and TGR1 like this.
    03-11-15 02:34 PM
    Their mobile OS updates have been pulled multiple times. The issues with battery calibration has been seen extensively. If BB were to even contemplate a Laptop, it would be 1 size fits all and that never works in the first place anyways. How many people claim to have issues with the Address book as it is now. With doubles and triples and such. How many people claim that their ability to enter their passwords has stopped and now need to wipe their devices. I am just saying that if BB wants to get into the Laptop market, they best have a 99.9% working OS for 99.9% of the users. They cannot afford to have a single issue crop up, whether it be hardware based, OS based, and needs to be dummied down to a point that mom and pop can use it without needing to sideload apps for their normal everyday usage.

So to me, my comment of "no" still stands.
    03-11-15 02:35 PM
    Making Blend better and more feature rich is the way to go not get into another hardware sinkhole.
    03-11-15 02:36 PM
    you know those reports they file every 3 months....might want to look at one once and awhile.
    Oh I do but you seem to have more insider info than was released at the last ER -

It's my understanding that we didn't expect the turnaround to happen overnight. Am I wrong? Was anyone expecting them to have sales of 10 m in the last quarter? Are there any concrete numbers of units sold?

Since the next ER isn't due until the end of the month, unless one has some inside sources, I'm not sure how one could possibly know the handset sales in that quarter. Do you?
    Originalloverman likes this.
    03-11-15 02:43 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook with Bluetooth keyboard anyone?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 02:51 PM
    Oh I do but you seem to have more insider info than was released at the last ER -

It's my understanding that we didn't expect the turnaround to happen overnight. Am I wrong? Was anyone expecting them to have sales of 10 m in the last quarter? Are there any concrete numbers of units sold?

Since the next ER isn't due until the end of the month, unless one has some inside sources, I'm not sure how one could possibly know the handset sales in that quarter. Do you?
    You can make some inferences on the fact that the Passport was never going to sell huge numbers due to price and size/form factor and the Classic just made it into retail. Coupled with the fact the last ER stated they almost emptied the warehouses of older models and you can guess that units will be significantly lower than last ER how much lower we don't know.
    03-11-15 02:54 PM
    Secusmart ,IBM,Samsung latest partnership might be a candidate for one,lol
    03-11-15 03:04 PM
    Their mobile OS updates have been pulled multiple times. The issues with battery calibration has been seen extensively. If BB were to even contemplate a Laptop, it would be 1 size fits all and that never works in the first place anyways. How many people claim to have issues with the Address book as it is now. With doubles and triples and such. How many people claim that their ability to enter their passwords has stopped and now need to wipe their devices. I am just saying that if BB wants to get into the Laptop market, they best have a 99.9% working OS for 99.9% of the users. They cannot afford to have a single issue crop up, whether it be hardware based, OS based, and needs to be dummied down to a point that mom and pop can use it without needing to sideload apps for their normal everyday usage.

So to me, my comment of "no" still stands.
    Lol buddy you crack me up, when was the last time have you seen a blackberry? Dummied down and side load lol. I have 5 BlackBerry 10 devices and experienced none of those issues you listed, the only issue I had was the delay in releasing 10.3.1 but got it a week after it was released, so where every you saw that I would ask them did they load a leak os or official and I have a iPhone 5s and a Samsung on lollypop and do you know how many issues I've encountered?
    With the laptops I did specify maybe you missed that bit the size of the laptop and the title "mini" wasn't specific enough for you? And speaking of i have 2 desktops 3 laptops and all runs varied versions of Windows with the exception of my MacBook pro and do you know the plethora of issues I had with them? All of these way exceed the issues I have with my BlackBerry by leaps and bounds. So again I don't know what your talking about and as I said no os work perfectly so why should that mantle be on BlackBerry head -_-
    pogly2, chrisk_5, gokulesh and 4 others like this.
    03-11-15 03:14 PM

total up until this quarter they have recognized revenue on 5.7 million devices for the fiscal year. They didn't magically get 4.3 million more this quarter to get to 10 million.
    03-11-15 03:16 PM
    Good idea. Just be sure to price it significantly under the $250 price point for inexpensive Windows notebooks and Chromebooks.
    Precisely that's would be the ideal price point max 300
    03-11-15 03:19 PM
    Why not. They have thrown everything else against the wall to see if it sticks. Uh, second thought. It would just be for enterprise customers not regular folks like me so no.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-11-15 03:29 PM
    Darn it, thought this was news. Anyway, I would buy a PlayBook turned laptop. I would expect to have full bridge functionality instead of blend as both are BlackBerry products. And, I would expect the laptop to be as secured as previous products. I'm a lite user, so lite products like Docs2Go are good enough for me. I would even be willing to fork up Passport value for it. However, this time around I won't be quite the first one to get it like the PlayBook.
    03-11-15 05:07 PM
    Doing something like this makes absolutely zero sense for Blackberry.
    03-11-15 05:28 PM
    Only way Chen will even consider a laptop of any kind is if there is a real interest in Enterprise sphere for one... at this point I do not see why they would... any security minded company will have souped up firewalls and vpn in place... do not really see what an Mobile OS on a laptop would bring the table.. just a consumer oriented idea... seeing BB is not focusing their energies in the consumer market... would not hold my breath....
    PantherBlitz and Blacklatino like this.
    03-11-15 05:42 PM
    Ammm bb10 would work perfectly on a laptop and my phone work perfectly amazing don't know what you talking about as a huge problem as all os have issues some way worst than others with way more revenue than BlackBerry. And as for the app gap really?
    Yes. Really.
    03-11-15 05:49 PM
    Why would enterprise want this over a Windows laptop that can be used with their existing infrastructure so easily since most enterprise computers are on an Active domain. Then there are the programs they need to have to be productive on the Laptop, it would need to have Lync, Microsoft Office, their own proprietary company apps and industry specific apps. What would this BlackBerry laptop bring to the table, its USP.
    Sent from my Luminous Lime Green Lumia 930
    dolco likes this.
    03-11-15 06:17 PM
    Only way Chen will even consider a laptop of any kind is if there is a real interest in Enterprise sphere for one... at this point I do not see why they would... any security minded company will have souped up firewalls and vpn in place... do not really see what an Mobile OS on a laptop would bring the table.. just a consumer oriented idea... seeing BB is not focusing their energies in the consumer market... would not hold my breath....
    Who said they're not focusing on consumer ? the slider is all consumer focused in fact Chen said from an interview last year it was design for the Selfies generation as well, how much enterprise types you know love Selfies?

I could see a need for it do you know how easy it it to remove a password from a laptop or computer with all the firewall and security features you might add in a minute max all can be accessed very easily. Even having a BlackBerry we all do back up on our computer you know those back ups could be accessed right. All it takes it one usb key and one minutes and it's a buffet of personal information at the tip of your fingers.

03-11-15 09:34 PM
    Why would enterprise want this over a Windows laptop that can be used with their existing infrastructure so easily since most enterprise computers are on an Active domain. Then there are the programs they need to have to be productive on the Laptop, it would need to have Lync, Microsoft Office, their own proprietary company apps and industry specific apps. What would this BlackBerry laptop bring to the table, its USP.
    Sent from my Luminous Lime Green Lumia 930
    For one the main reason security as the is no secure laptop and the same way you get it on a mac I'm sure they could work something out. Have you ever heard of a secure laptop? No so there is a need for it be use that gap is wide open, the same way there was a need for a secure phone when no one was doing it and the same way when BlackBerry was dominant and apple decides to make a touch screen phone everyone said they was wakko and was against it, your always going to have those negative neh sayers to everything, not until the it's made and they see what it's about than everyone want to jump on the gravy train. Same can be said for the tablet I personally hate tablets and with all the desktops,laptops and phones I have I still use it, it's convenient I wouldn't go all out as some would say it takes away the need of a laptop persay but I fill a gap.

I believe bb is very much capable of this and if done well would be amazing and sell esp of its reasonable priced. It's for a convenient and practical use.

03-11-15 09:47 PM
    Lol buddy you crack me up, when was the last time have you seen a blackberry? Dummied down and side load lol. I have 5 BlackBerry 10 devices and experienced none of those issues you listed, the only issue I had was the delay in releasing 10.3.1 but got it a week after it was released, so where every you saw that I would ask them did they load a leak os or official and I have a iPhone 5s and a Samsung on lollypop and do you know how many issues I've encountered?
    With the laptops I did specify maybe you missed that bit the size of the laptop and the title "mini" wasn't specific enough for you? And speaking of i have 2 desktops 3 laptops and all runs varied versions of Windows with the exception of my MacBook pro and do you know the plethora of issues I had with them? All of these way exceed the issues I have with my BlackBerry by leaps and bounds. So again I don't know what your talking about and as I said no os work perfectly so why should that mantle be on BlackBerry head -_-
    Not trying to be negative in your thread but MobileMadness002 did bring up some things that need to be ironed out with bb10. Just because you don't have issue doesn't mean other don't. I have no idea when my Z10 is going to shut off. It rarely has my battery percentage correct. Just last week it shut off at 22%. I don't have a lot of issues but I do have them.

A the app gap certain does exist too. For the less tech savy crowd, if the app isn't in BlackBerry World or the Amazon app store, then they certain believe that it simply isn't available to BlackBerry.

I would love to see BlackBerry branch out but it's asking a lot of a company who many don't believe can even keep their smartphone business afloat.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 10:04 PM
136 123 ...