Hi there I'v just purchased a Torch 9810 and I'm quite impressed but a little confused still. I'v had a HTC Sensation but I fancied a change so here I am. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered.

- Can I use WiFi without being charged/having service data on and being charged because I'v heard mixed things some say even when WiFi is on it still takes mb your data service allowance and some say WiFi doesn't take anything off. I must say this is a let down for me as on my Sensation I could just connect to my home WiFi without having to worry about my phone internet being used.

To use things like twitter/facebook/bbm I have to be connected to the Data service internet not WiFi? Wont this use my allowance up after like a week if I'm using the internet all the time on my phone?

- Can I change the theme? if so how? Can I change the icon pictures, the size of the icons ect?

- Is it worth rooting the blackberry (If possible?) or not?

- Any tips or anything I should know? I'v never had a blackberry before always had android so it's pretty weird to me at the moment.

- Is there anyway to keep the full versions of websites instead of them always changing back to the mobile versions? (Youtube ect)

Thanks
    Last edited by Josh-Shepherd; 01-10-12 at 07:26 PM.
    01-10-12 07:16 PM
    1) If you are on Wi-Fi, absolutely no data (from the service provider) will be use. However you have to make sure that your Wi-Fi icon on the top left is lit up.

2) (correct me if I'm wrong) the difference between Blackberry devices and other brand devices is that BB's require both normal data AND BIS or BES connection. thus meaning that you can put your sim (with BIS/BES connection) back into your HTC and it will work normally, but not vice versa. Without BIS/BES you cannot connect to BBM.

3) Themes for the 9810 can be found in the crackberry themes section for your device (sorry cant post link)

4)Blackberry smartphones cannot be rooted (yet)

this is all the time I have for now as I'm at work. Good luck on your new BB! hope you enjoy it!

Congrats on your new BB!
    01-10-12 07:48 PM
    Your phone will use wifi.

You should check-out newbie threads for the 9810
    01-10-12 08:09 PM
    Cheers, how do I know if my WiFi is on, It says connected but knowing my luck it's not and I'v been using my phone internet :\
    01-10-12 08:11 PM
    your wi-fi icon will light up, it should be white instead of grey
    01-10-12 08:14 PM
    I have the same phone. Heres my advice.

1) get slide lock. Its great, slide lock like iPhone. Plus it works with keyboard slider, does lots. Very cool.

2) xweather widget. puts live weather on the home screen.

3) buzz me basic. Lets you customize the led notifications. different colour for different things and so on.

4) Blackberry protect. backs up your info, lets you do the find my phone. remote lock and wipe. very cool.

5) blackberry news. rss news. must have.

6) dropbox. must have. cloud sync files. 2 gigs free.

7) evernote. Cloud sync docs. Must have

Then go get a BlackBerry PlayBook. I mean it!

8) SMS bridge, send and receive sms on playbook (will be able to do this natively with OS 2 in Feb)

9) enjoy a very cool phone.

10) once you are better with the phone OS 7.1 will be available. then it will get even better.

EDIT: since its an OS 7 device, there isn't really themes for it, not like OS 6. There are backgrounds and so on but no real themes.
    01-10-12 08:24 PM
    your berry is under wifi when you see the berry logo AND wifi signal beneath "3G" or "EDGE"

if your torch is from tmobile you may even see the berry logo and wifi signal beneath "UMA"

most important indicator is the berry logo appearing beneath 3G/EDGE.
    01-10-12 09:58 PM
    When you are connected to the Wi-Fi it will also show your WiFi network name above the time, next to where it says T-Mobile. You want to make sure that the little BlackBerry logo is next to the WHITE WiFi symbol underneath your signal bar. This will signify that your BIS connection is through WiFi.

Take into consideration that BlackBerry does compress data, so even if you use it off of WiFi, you're not going to use that much unless you're watching a YouTube video, or listening to streaming radio or something.

With regard to the mobile websites, the browser will automatically default to the mobile version if one is available. Usually at the bottom of the page there is a link to take you to the full website.
    01-11-12 02:53 PM
    Blackberry smartphones cannot be rooted. If you are on Wi-Fi, absolutely no data (from the service provider) will be use. However you have to make sure that your Wi-Fi icon on the top left is lit up.
    01-11-12 10:08 PM
    Cheers, how do I know if my WiFi is on, It says connected but knowing my luck it's not and I'v been using my phone internet :\
    Just turning on your wifi it doesn't mean that you're actually connected to your network wether you're at home or work. Go to options-network/connection settings and then set up wifi network. Once you set it up and save it, your BB will automatically will connect to this network by just turning on your wifi. Like someone said the name of your network will show up on top when you're connected.
    01-12-12 01:59 PM
    You don't really need a flashlight app

In Options for the video recorder set the light to stay on...there you go, a flashlight when you start the video recorder
    01-12-12 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD