I just got my brand new Blackberry 8830 World edition! Beauty!

I put in the battery and the little red light came on, but the phone didn't actually turn on. I assume it's way too low in battery power?

The red light just blinks on and off for about 10 seconds each...

I have the phone plugged in to charge and the red light is still doing the blinking thing - but occasionally (every few minutes) the screen turns white with the little hour glass rotating. Then the screen goes black again.

How long does it take for a new blackberry 8830 to charge up? Is what my phone is doing normal?
    08-01-08 05:30 PM
    From the Crackberry.com lectures series...

Battery
    With the SIM inserted, you can install your battery. You’ll find that BlackBerry batteries always come with some charge in them (enough to boot up, run through set-up, and maybe play a few games of BrickBreaker).
    Line up the pins between the battery and BlackBerry, drop the battery in, and replace the battery cover. You’ll find that the Lithium Ion batteries RIM uses in their BlackBerrys charge up quite quickly. Only a few hours of charging from a totally drained battery will do the trick, and very often when your BlackBerry is running low on juice, even a quick hour on the charger will zap them back to fully-charged life.
    I’ve always been one to charge my cell phones during the night (it’s a habit I developed dating back to my first Motorola StarTac flip phone in 1996 (or was it 97?) and I have never really changed it. We’ve had a lot of debate in the CrackBerry forums as to what’s the optimal method of charging. Because the BlackBerry batteries can be brought up to full-charge so quick yet have a long life, many feel that charging them all night, every night is overkill and may lead to the battery requiring replacement sooner than if it was charged more sparingly and only when it needs charging (which may be a couple of days or more depending on your usage). I’m not sure if there’s proof one way or the other, and I’m too stubborn to change my ways, so I’ll stick to my nightly charging ritual (I typically want to replace my BlackBerry with the latest and greatest anyways…so the battery always seems to outlive my use for the device!). If you’re looking for longevity though, watch the battery life, charge it only when it starts to get real low, and avoid the temptation to plug it in night after night.
    It’s Alive!
    With the Battery now inserted, your BlackBerry will boot up to life. It takes a while for a BlackBerry to boot up – don’t be alarmed. The waiting is a small price to pay for the stability of the BlackBerry OS. Once a BlackBerry boots up it rarely ever needs to be shutdown/rebooted, especially if you stick to ‘typical’ use (if you monkey around with it…which is often the case of hardcore CrackBerrys…you may need to do a battery pull every now and then).
    New BlackBerrys will launch the Setup Wizard upon first startup. Go through the process – it only takes a few minutes and you’ll take care of many necessities – like picking your language and setting the time. You’ll also get a quick tutorial on the device’s input controls (which comes in extremely handy if you picked up a Pearl with SureType). When it comes to setting up your email in the Wizard’s final steps, you can choose to Skip it and do it later. If you’re following along, Skip that Step, as next we’re going to look at setting up your BlackBerry’s email service using your carrier’s BIS site.
    08-01-08 05:37 PM
    From the Crackberry.com lectures series...

Battery
    With the SIM inserted, you can install your battery. You�ll find that BlackBerry batteries always come with some charge in them (enough to boot up, run through set-up, and maybe play a few games of BrickBreaker).
    Line up the pins between the battery and BlackBerry, drop the battery in, and replace the battery cover. You�ll find that the Lithium Ion batteries RIM uses in their BlackBerrys charge up quite quickly. Only a few hours of charging from a totally drained battery will do the trick, and very often when your BlackBerry is running low on juice, even a quick hour on the charger will zap them back to fully-charged life.
    I�ve always been one to charge my cell phones during the night (it�s a habit I developed dating back to my first Motorola StarTac flip phone in 1996 (or was it 97?) and I have never really changed it. We�ve had a lot of debate in the CrackBerry forums as to what�s the optimal method of charging. Because the BlackBerry batteries can be brought up to full-charge so quick yet have a long life, many feel that charging them all night, every night is overkill and may lead to the battery requiring replacement sooner than if it was charged more sparingly and only when it needs charging (which may be a couple of days or more depending on your usage). I�m not sure if there�s proof one way or the other, and I�m too stubborn to change my ways, so I�ll stick to my nightly charging ritual (I typically want to replace my BlackBerry with the latest and greatest anyways�so the battery always seems to outlive my use for the device!). If you�re looking for longevity though, watch the battery life, charge it only when it starts to get real low, and avoid the temptation to plug it in night after night.
    It�s Alive!
    With the Battery now inserted, your BlackBerry will boot up to life. It takes a while for a BlackBerry to boot up � don�t be alarmed. The waiting is a small price to pay for the stability of the BlackBerry OS. Once a BlackBerry boots up it rarely ever needs to be shutdown/rebooted, especially if you stick to �typical� use (if you monkey around with it�which is often the case of hardcore CrackBerrys�you may need to do a battery pull every now and then).
    New BlackBerrys will launch the Setup Wizard upon first startup. Go through the process � it only takes a few minutes and you�ll take care of many necessities � like picking your language and setting the time. You�ll also get a quick tutorial on the device�s input controls (which comes in extremely handy if you picked up a Pearl with SureType). When it comes to setting up your email in the Wizard�s final steps, you can choose to Skip it and do it later. If you�re following along, Skip that Step, as next we�re going to look at setting up your BlackBerry�s email service using your carrier�s BIS site.

Hm...Just a few hours? Is that how long it took your BB to charge?
    08-01-08 05:42 PM
    That blinking red light might become a problem. If after 30min or so of a charge if it doesn't come on you might need to wipe your device and reload the OS. Charge it up first as its possible your battery is completely dead. They usually have a charge but after sitting for months that charge will dissapate. If you still have issues post back and we can walk you through the wipe/reload, but its probably just a dead battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-08 05:44 PM
    That blinking red light might become a problem. If after 30min or so of a charge if it doesn't come on you might need to wipe your device and reload the OS. Charge it up first as its possible your battery is completely dead. They usually have a charge but after sitting for months that charge will dissapate. If you still have issues post back and we can walk you through the wipe/reload, but its probably just a dead battery.

Thanks but this is a brand new phone. I don't even know about the current OS and I don't think there's anything to wipe! How long should I wait for the VERY FIRST CHARGE?

Thanks!
    08-01-08 05:47 PM
    dude just return it
    its obviously defective
    08-01-08 06:12 PM
    30 minutes before it should be able to be turned on. After 30 min press the power button to turn it on.

08-01-08 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD