hello everybody, I am thinking of purchasing a blackberry 9000. Will the device be able To connect to a mobile broadband modem? As i live in Ireland the phone would have to be unlocked to operate under my current provider which is the three network. any Information and advice would be really welcome
    09-29-08 12:29 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Jenna.

You can use it as a tethered modem, but you will want to be sure you have an adaquate data plan. It will consume a lot that way.
    09-29-08 02:18 PM
    Welcome to CB Jenna!
    09-29-08 02:20 PM
    thank you, can you explain the adaquate data plan
    09-29-08 03:16 PM
    thank you bob
    09-29-08 03:17 PM
    09-29-08 03:44 PM
    thank you, can you explain the adaquate data plan
    100 Mb minimum, a couple of Gb would be even better.
    09-29-08 05:04 PM
    Good luck on your purchase and welcome to CrackBerry
    09-30-08 01:17 PM
    welcome to the forum the best place for BlackBerry info.
    09-30-08 08:40 PM
    Welcome to cb.
    09-30-08 10:02 PM
    The bold can act as a modem, so I'm not sure you would need to connect to a broadband modem unless you are trying to use it for WiFi. In that case, then yes this device has this capability as well.
    09-30-08 10:21 PM

Aww this was so nice of you!!
    Btw
    Welcome to Crackberry!! Enjoy your stay!!
    09-30-08 10:24 PM
    hello everybody, I am thinking of purchasing a blackberry 9000. Will the device be able To connect to a mobile broadband modem? As i live in Ireland the phone would have to be unlocked to operate under my current provider which is the three network. any Information and advice would be really welcome
    Jenna1, it looks like BlackBerry is only supported on O2 and Vodafone in Ireland. Three do not have any support for BB, not in UK and not in Ireland. This means you would have a very pretty smartphone on Three but it would only do voice and SMS, and some of the on-boared features like calculator and camera. You would not be able to get email and other data related on-air stuff.

Sorry to bring bad news, but if you want a Berry you need to think about changing carrier. Neither O2 nor Voda is offering Bold for Ireland yet so you are correct to be considering Unlocked.

I would not expect any problems running Bold on O2 and Voda networks, but you should also check 3G coverage in the areas where you expect to use the phone frequently. It is pointless buying Bold (which will probably cost you about �600 sim-free) only to find it is constrained by the available signal. If you don't have 3G you might want to think a little longer and also consider the other new models like Storm/Thunder and Javelin which may be released soon.
    10-01-08 05:23 AM
    Hi Jenna and welcome to CB.

Branta is correct about 3, they do not have Blackberry tariffs yet. They are due to Launch the Bold in the UK in November, not sure about Ireland though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-08 05:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD