Ok...this topic may, and probably has, been beat to death. But I feel the need to post it. I'm new to blackberry because my work made me switch over. I previously had a Palm Pre (and although a couple years old, it was great). Now I have a Bold 9650.

I don't understand how people can be so excited about this device. It's horrible. The internals seems like they are from 1995. The device is slow, unsophisticated and other than email, I cannot find any useful purpose for this machine. Internet speed is horrible, the phone constantly freezes up, the screen is small, the interface is antiquated and the design looks the same as it did in 2000.

Is this it? Really? Does RIM not see all of the innovations going on in the market place? My Pre was fun to use, and I enjoyed it. Now on my way to work, if I want to check the weather, I can expect a 5 minute process of the weather app loading its map/radar, etc.

The apps suck....actually, there are no apps. Even with the Pre's limited app store, at least they were easy to use.

I spend more time watching that silly little clock on the screen while the phone is "thinking" than I do using it. Yes, I know RIM is coming out with some new phones this fall, they are supposed to be better performers and more up to date. But seriously guys!!!! How can you brag about these phones???? They are horrible!!! I would give an arm and a leg to be able to get an iphone or even an android, by my work doesn't support it. How in the world can you think this is the best thing out there?

Please school me if you want because maybe there is something I am missing. But I hate this phone. Have none of you used other phones in the market?
    07-02-11 03:01 PM
    I'd have a Tour (Bold replaced it but they are very similar) and find it quite easy to use and do all the things you mentioned. It's pretty fast and it is older than the Bold you have. Weird huh.
    Last edited by southlander; 07-02-11 at 03:08 PM.
    07-02-11 03:05 PM
    I have lots of good apps so I don't know why you're complaining. What apps do you want exactly?

If it takes you 5 minutes to get the weather then maybe you have a faulty phone or your network is poor.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-02-11 03:23 PM
    You liked the Palm Pre better?

I smell something fishy...
    07-02-11 03:29 PM
    9650 is def behind. It works great for messaging and pretty good for email but everything else is behind. The 9930 sounds like it will fix most of the things lacking on the 9650 except for the apps.....
    07-02-11 03:29 PM
  6. T
    My new 9650 doesn't even have a camera. Oh, wait a minute ... I ordered it that way!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-11 03:50 PM
    Well blame your company for not getting you a better one or for their IT policies that are hindering it.
    07-02-11 04:04 PM
    Please as a new Blackberry user. Review the Blackberry 101 knowledge base on this site.

As for apps. Don't get any from JaredCo, but there are some fantastic apps out there, what are your needs, we'd be glad to help.

As for why I love my Blackberry and I have tried other platforms.

*Keyboard short cuts
    *THE Keyboard it's self
    *Custom Autotext
    *BBM when doing traveling outside the country
    *SheetstoGo on blackberry has the least checkboarding on large files
    *Ability to read the screen in All lighting conditions.
    * with Berrybuzz the LED is an amazing tool

07-02-11 04:14 PM
    My 9650 works almost the exact opposite of what you describe. My internet is reasonalby fast. I'm sure there is faster out there but I really can't complain when I compare it to my previous two "dumb" phones. I rarely see the spinning clock and when I do it's usually because I have too many apps running at once. Speaking of apps I have no complaints there either. I have yet to go looking for an app to do something and not been able to find one that fits my needs. That's not saying it won't happen. Just hasn't happened yet.
    As far as the the form factor and interface I find it to be functional, refined and efficient.

07-02-11 04:18 PM
    deRusett is right, other than the native browser and apps, there is much to love about the Berry. As a pure messaging device, which is what I have come to believe RIM sees the handset as, all other devices are behind. But the browser experience is horrid and the apps are not as plentiful as the apps on Android or iOS.

If you like your apps, you may want to consider getting an iTouch. I used to carry a Palm for apps, then last year, I moved over to an iTouch for apps. Now, I have a Berry and a Droid 2 (I never use a work phone for personal communications.) For the money, I wish Blackberry were my work phone and my personal phone the Droid 2. I could use the wifi hotspot feature then.... and not have to tether... but... anyway... Also, while Touchdown is good, BES is still better. Just not cheaper.

Here is the link to Crackberry help. There are lots of threads on crackberry discussing features and solutions to problems. Before you post, if you search with google on the site, you can usually find an answer. The Blackberry 101 articles can be found here: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-help

Good for RIM that some companies are converted either to or back to Berries!
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 07-02-11 at 04:40 PM.
    07-02-11 04:31 PM
    I have an 9630 which is older then your 9650 and its does everything perfectly and is quick. Please ask to get it exchange...sounds like there's something wrong with it.

07-02-11 04:35 PM
    kzb probably hit the nail on the head. Your IT dept has the BES cranked down so tight you probably couldn't download any apps if you wanted too. I am running an ancient 8330 and have no complaints. But I am not on BES. Be aware that your company can literally see what your up to on (their company issued device). Sorry for your pain.

07-02-11 04:39 PM
    Some tips:

1. Ditch the native browser and use Opera Mini 6. Very fast browser even on my old Tour.

2. Clear all log data by holding the Alt key, typing LGLG, then select the BlackBerry menu key and "Clear Log".

3. Assign speed dials, learn all the keyboard shortcuts, etc.
    07-02-11 04:40 PM
    I spend more time watching that silly little clock on the screen while the phone is "thinking" than I do using it. ...
    That is usually an indication that you are running out of available memory. That model has 512Mb of memory.

Check Options / Status. If the amount of free memory is less then 5Mb, pull the battery to force a restart and check it again. Most likley it will be in excess of 50 Mb and the spinning hour glass will no longer appear.

the interface is antiquated and the design looks the same as it did in 2000.
    Really? Does your Bold look like this?

07-02-11 04:45 PM
  15. T
    Some tips:

1. Ditch the native browser and use Opera Mini 6. Very fast browser even on my old Tour.
    Is Opera mini as secure? Does it have the option to turn javasript off?

07-02-11 04:49 PM
    To me it sounds more like the issues you are expirencing are due to your network provider more than the phone itself and if your work gave you the phone they are probably hindering it as well. It also wouldn't hurt to read up on blackberries to understand how they work. Maybe you are trying to use it like your old phone and it isn't. I love the keyboard and battery life of my phone. I find more useful apps than my friends who use droid and iphones. I can find all the apps I need easily and actually use them. If you really can't stand the phone then leave it for work and get your own private phone that suits you.
    07-02-11 04:58 PM
    One of the things I liked most about the Bold (in addition to the things people have already listed) is its music player. The sound quality is great, you can create playlists on the fly, and all the basic controls are accessed via hard buttons on the side (which is great when jogging). Here's a hint: holding the volume up or down button for a couple seconds will change tracks. It's little things like this that make the phone a real joy to use.

07-02-11 06:38 PM
    Companies that issue Blackberries often gimp them, so many don't get the full experience the phone is capable of.

Browsing will never be as fast as newer smartphones though, so thats a fair criticism, but I can tell you depending on the model and browser used, it can can be reasonably fast. Not an instant type fast, but maybe a very short lag compared to other top media phones.
    07-02-11 07:11 PM
    You liked the Palm Pre better?

I smell something fishy...
    Yes try the pre 3 when its out I can ssure you, you would not look back
    Pre uses webos if it isn't that good why did rim copy it ?

07-02-11 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD