I just bought my first Blackberry and I have a few questions. If you'll can help me out it'd be greatly appreciated! First off, it's a Curve 8530 and I am going to use it on Boost Mobile. I've done some research and some people say that's a mistake and some people say it's a great thing. I also read that some people are putting hybrid OS's on their devices. What is the advantage to doing this? Is this something I should do with my device being on Boost Mobile? I'm assuming this would cause warranty issues though I'm sure I could wipe the device and put an original OS back on it. I'm very technically inclined and have no problem "experimenting" with my device if it's advised. I'm just kind of lost on where to start. Is there a guide to what newbies should do with their BB's? I'd greatly appreciate it if you'll could advise me! Thanks! Chad
    01-31-11 07:39 PM
    A hybrid is just a mix of OS components from different releases. I don't think it wouild void a warranty any more than installing a leaked OS.

You can probably find more info in the hybrid forum here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    wemis likes this.
    01-31-11 08:41 PM
    Thanks for your input. So it's not something people really "edited" or "hacked"? It's just a mix of different OS's? Do you see the benefit of it or use one yourself?
    01-31-11 08:58 PM
    Yes, almost all hybrids are 100% made from pieces of various official OS's from RIM.

The advantage could be seen in a "this-OS-is-perfect-except-for-that" situation.

I would try the highest 8530 available, whether leaked or official, and get used to it first.
    If you're noticing deficiencies, start checking out the hybrids.

Find the most current OS's here:
    CrackBerry │ OS Superpage

And welcome to CB!
    wemis likes this.
    01-31-11 09:06 PM
    I just bought my first Blackberry and I have a few questions. If you'll can help me out it'd be greatly appreciated! First off, it's a Curve 8530 and I am going to use it on Boost Mobile. I've done some research and some people say that's a mistake and some people say it's a great thing. I also read that some people are putting hybrid OS's on their devices. What is the advantage to doing this? Is this something I should do with my device being on Boost Mobile? I'm assuming this would cause warranty issues though I'm sure I could wipe the device and put an original OS back on it. I'm very technically inclined and have no problem "experimenting" with my device if it's advised. I'm just kind of lost on where to start. Is there a guide to what newbies should do with their BB's? I'd greatly appreciate it if you'll could advise me! Thanks! Chad
    I normally recommend not changing the OS until the 30-day return warranty period is up, because most new users would find it difficult to restore the original OS, especially if something broke on their phone. You could end up voiding your warranty. The BlackBerry 101 lecture series under the Help tab is a great getting started resource.
    wemis likes this.
    01-31-11 09:15 PM
    I understand! Thanks again for the input. I am a research NUT and OCD about stuff like this. It consumes me. So, in your experience, do you see a use for having these on your personal BB? Also, on the link to the official and unofficial releases, I see for the Curve 8530 that the official release is 5.0.0.1030 and the unofficial is 5.0.0.886. I would think that there would be a "newer" unofficial version out. Does BB come out with new versions often? I know OS6 is out so I'm sure they are concentrating on that.
    01-31-11 09:22 PM
    Thanks JeffH! I'll check that out for sure. As for backing up/restoring an OS, is there a centralized location where people have those stored? I'd like to know how to back mine up if not. I'm sure there is a tutorial on here somewhere explaining it.
    01-31-11 09:25 PM
    I understand! Thanks again for the input. I am a research NUT and OCD about stuff like this. It consumes me. So, in your experience, do you see a use for having these on your personal BB? Also, on the link to the official and unofficial releases, I see for the Curve 8530 that the official release is 5.0.0.1030 and the unofficial is 5.0.0.886. I would think that there would be a "newer" unofficial version out. Does BB come out with new versions often? I know OS6 is out so I'm sure they are concentrating on that.
    I'm the same, no need to explain.

Personally I've never used a hybrid OS, but numerous members here whom I know and respect have successfully used them or even made them. I don't know why I haven't, but I just haven't!
    I would look at hybrids if all the current OS's had somewhat major deficiencies. I'm thinking about for the first time now with my Torch because of less than enviable battery life.

I expect we'll see a gradual winding down of OS 5 releases, as they steer towards (and want their customers to as well!) OS 6, OS 6.1, QNX, etc.
    The 8530 is a decent device. Two of my people have them at my business. I keep finding new & inventive ways for Telus to keep giving me new contract pricing on the latest & greatest BBs before the last contract is anywhere close to expired.

For most devices, the highest leaked versions are ahead of the official carrier releases. Again, indicative of the OS 5 development slowdown. But OS5 is plenty solid!
    01-31-11 09:47 PM
    You don't actually back up an OS. You back up the personal data on your device. When you install a new OS, it wipes all the data off your device as part of the OS loading process. Then the auto-loader reloads your personal data. It is critically important that you download your device OS executable from either your carrier or from RIM and save the OS exe on your PC, so that you can reload it on your device if necessary. The BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series I referenced above covers all these topics. Don't discount it because of the 101 title. It covers deep topics.

You can download officially released OS versions from here: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites.

I personally don't use or recommend hybrids or leaked OS versions that the carrier has not released.
    wemis likes this.
    01-31-11 09:50 PM
    Thanks JeffH! I'll check that out for sure. As for backing up/restoring an OS, is there a centralized location where people have those stored? I'd like to know how to back mine up if not. I'm sure there is a tutorial on here somewhere explaining it.
    For backing up & restoring, this is referring to your personal data & settings. You'll back it up with the BB Desktop Manager software that you can put on your PC. (You'll see many references to DM.)

So before you change the OS, you make a just-in-case backup of your info. I've had to use my backup 3 times, I believe.

Do check the the 101 Tutorials that JeffH mentioned. They were a godsend to me when I was a newbie, especially those on upgrading the OS and also the one on keyboard shortcuts.
    wemis likes this.
    01-31-11 09:52 PM
    I would recommend not using hybrid os's until you fully understand the blackberry
    01-31-11 10:27 PM
    I never use hybrids, I just don't see a reason to. I know alot of people who use hybrids and have had success. I prefer to use leaks or the official OS, some leaks are better than others. The VZW BB6 official is a very solid OS and runs real smooth.
    wemis likes this.
    01-31-11 10:28 PM
    Thank you all for your input! I'm learning a lot already. I am going to use the device as is at first and see how it goes. From what I've been reading, there is a LOT to learn as far as Blackberry's. I've already checked out some of the keyboard shortcuts that seem like they will save some time for sure as well as the AutoText feature. I can understand using a hybrid for increased battery life for sure. I totally understand why people create and use hybrids. I'm going to keep them in mind for sure! I like to troubleshoot and mess around with stuff so I will probably dangle in it at some point. Thanks again! I'll definitely be on the forums and do more research!
    01-31-11 11:07 PM
    I agree with sticking with the device as it is for awhile. There is no rush to change anything. You'll learn alot by searching the forums here on Crackberry. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck and enjoy your new addiction!!
    wemis likes this.
    01-31-11 11:16 PM
    Thanks! I can already see I'm going to get addicted to the flashing LED! Haha
    01-31-11 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD