hey all, im new to the blackberry world, just upgraded to the curve 3g yesterday actually lol, my carrier is at&t and i had a couple questions. okay here goes, i got their $15/month 200mb plan now im able to connect to my home wifi when im just laying around, if im connected to my wifi i could surf the web without using up the alotted data per month right? also does BB app world, messenger and all that other good stuff, will att use that against my 200mb data per month too? sorry for the newbie questions but this is the first time ive had a phone with internet access and i dont wanna get zapped madddd money for going over.
    05-26-11 03:41 PM
    also does it cost money/data to use apps like my local rock station has a BB app tht i downloaded, will this use up my data to listen to their broadcasts, an other apps offered for BB.
    05-26-11 03:45 PM
    Hey welcome to crackberry!

Good newbie q.
    To answer your q. If you are connected to your wifi connection you do not get billed for data. All apps that connect through the internet should connect via wifi (might have to tweak some settings on individual apps) but the bulk of apps should work through wifi.

I would recommend that you try using your wifi connection and call your carrier after a couple of days and see how much data you have used.

Also please keep in mind that when you click the "end" button on your phone, the app is not really closed. It simply moves to the background and keeps running. This can also incur data charges if your using an app that constantly connected to the web.

Feel free to ask anymore q.s
    Were very welcoming here
    05-26-11 04:55 PM
    Just to add to what movi3king said - normal browsing won't eat up too much data, especially with the way your BB plan compresses data. But streaming video and audio will chew it up in a hurry.

Enjoy the Curve, and welcome to BlackBerry!
    05-26-11 05:24 PM
    Hey welcome to crackberry!

Good newbie q.
    To answer your q. If you are connected to your wifi connection you do not get billed for data. All apps that connect through the internet should connect via wifi (might have to tweak some settings on individual apps) but the bulk of apps should work through wifi.

I would recommend that you try using your wifi connection and call your carrier after a couple of days and see how much data you have used.

Also please keep in mind that when you click the "end" button on your phone, the app is not really closed. It simply moves to the background and keeps running. This can also incur data charges if your using an app that constantly connected to the web.

Feel free to ask anymore q.s
    Were very welcoming here
    Actually this is very good advice and could not say it any better. Good advice and OP Welcome to the CB Nation.
    Just to add to what movi3king said - normal browsing won't eat up too much data, especially with the way your BB plan compresses data. But streaming video and audio will chew it up in a hurry.

Enjoy the Curve, and welcome to BlackBerry!
    This also is very good advice. If you stream video or music try and go thru a WIFI connection be it at home or otherwise and you should be fine. Good luck and we look forward to seeing you here.
    05-26-11 06:57 PM
    If you're streaming music it might use a lot of data. Do anyone know how much?

I mean if you're on wifi than it doesn't matter. But if you're on AT&T, how much data is user per song?
    Last edited by blue81to; 05-26-11 at 07:31 PM.
    05-26-11 07:28 PM
    If your streaming music say for one hour you can easily use about 50-70MB. WiFi is much better for streaming if you don't have unlimited data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 02:35 AM
    Welcome to crackberry
    05-27-11 05:39 AM
    Also, if you are loading anything onto your phone: apps, themes, music, ringtones, etc, some of them can eat up a decent amount of data as well. So I recommend downloading them to a computer and then transferring them to your phone via USB when possible. Especially if you're using the BB app store, which definitely downloads over the data connection on the phone, even if you are connected to wifi.
    05-27-11 09:03 AM
    As LONG as you stick to using wifi you should be ok, just make sure yor wifi connection stays connected.
    05-27-11 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD