Hey guys, I'm getting a new BB soon, and I have no idea what to get/what's available. I know that I do not want a touch screen phone though. I have been using the 8330, and it's slow and painfully annoying to say the least. I'm located in the U.S. and my carrier is Verizon. What phone would you recommend?
    01-08-11 08:13 PM
    Hey guys, I'm getting a new BB soon, and I have no idea what to get/what's available. I know that I do not want a touch screen phone though. I have been using the 8330, and it's slow and painfully annoying to say the least. I'm located in the U.S. and my carrier is Verizon. What phone would you recommend?
    I think you'll find that you will get a wide range of answers to your question. I think the best thing you can do is go into a Verizon store and see what they have available. Try them all and see what works best to fit your needs and wants in a BB.
    01-08-11 08:30 PM
    Well the current two non touch devices on Verizon are the 9330 Curve and the 9650 Bold. Bold has a better camera, flash, higher resolution screen, etc.

Best bet like the other poster says is to go to a corporate owned Verizon store (because they should have an example of all their phones activated for you to try) and play with any device you think you may be interested in.
    01-08-11 08:43 PM
    I agree with Dawg & Sandman also I just wanted to add that I upgraded in Dec from an 8330 to the Bold 9650 and I loooove it! I honestly wouldve went with the Curve 3G-9330 but the camera didn't have a flash & I use my bb A LOT for taking pictures, and the Bold has a 3.2mp w/flash camera. Good luck with your decision!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 08:58 PM
    You're kinda SOL with Verizon - you can choose between the 9650 and the 9330 if you want to stick with VZW and BlackBerry. 9650 is pretty good tho, I love mine.
    01-08-11 09:37 PM
    If you don't like what Verizon has to offer, don't be afraid to look at other carriers. I think you should find the phone that you like best, then worry about the carrier issue. All of this is assuming that you're not under contract to Verizon.
    01-08-11 10:11 PM
    If you don't like what Verizon has to offer, don't be afraid to look at other carriers. I think you should find the phone that you like best, then worry about the carrier issue. All of this is assuming that you're not under contract to Verizon.
    No offense to the poster but I disagree with that advice, at least to a degree.

For example, around here, ATT coverage stinks compared to VZW, hence switching carriers wouldn't be such a good idea for me since I would get worse coverage.

I would suggest always picking coverage/carrier first and going with whoever offers the best coverage where you're at, and then pick from their selection of phones. You may not always get the best choice of devices, but the better device is useless if you don't get good coverage where you want to be...
    01-08-11 10:30 PM
    Verizon bold is a great phone....

01-08-11 10:40 PM
    No offense to the poster but I disagree with that advice, at least to a degree.

For example, around here, ATT coverage stinks compared to VZW, hence switching carriers wouldn't be such a good idea for me since I would get worse coverage.

I would suggest always picking coverage/carrier first and going with whoever offers the best coverage where you're at, and then pick from their selection of phones. You may not always get the best choice of devices, but the better device is useless if you don't get good coverage where you want to be...
    No offense taken, and I don't disagree with your point. I should have added that when you find the phone you like, if it's not with the carrier you want, you can always unlock it. Yes, you'll pay more, but you'll have the phone that works best for you.

Edit: All of this is assuming that the coverage is equivalent for all carriers in a given area.
    Last edited by oldtimeBBaddict; 01-08-11 at 10:45 PM.
    01-08-11 10:42 PM
    No offense taken, and I don't disagree with your point. I should have added that when you find the phone you like, if it's not with the carrier you want, you can always unlock it. Yes, you'll pay more, but you'll have the phone that works best for you.

Edit: All of this is assuming that the coverage is equivalent for all carriers in a given area.
    This cannot be done if the carrier is CDMA, such as VZW. Unlocking only applies to GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, or small regional carriers like Cincinnati Bell). Unlocking allows one to use SIM cards from other GSM carriers, but CDMA does not use SIM cards, and cannot be unlocked.

If one has a CDMA carrier (VZW, Sprint, US Cellular), the device must be branded to that carrier. Major CDMA carriers use a database of ESNs, and they will not add any device to their network that does not have their branding. Flashed phones from other CDMA carriers will not be added. So, for example, if one wants to use a Style on VZW, it will not work, since VZW will not allow Sprint phones on VZW.
    Last edited by lak611; 01-08-11 at 11:45 PM.
    01-08-11 11:42 PM
    This cannot be done if the carrier is CDMA, such as VZW. Unlocking only applies to GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, or small regional carriers like Cincinnati Bell). Unlocking allows one to use SIM cards from other GSM carriers, but CDMA does not use SIM cards, and cannot be unlocked.

If one has a CDMA carrier (VZW, Sprint, US Cellular), the device must be branded to that carrier. Major CDMA carriers use a database of ESNs, and they will not add any device to their network that does not have their branding. Flashed phones from other CDMA carriers will not be added. So, for example, if one wants to use a Style on VZW, it will not work, since VZW will not allow Sprint phones on VZW.
    DOH! The worst part is, I knew that.
    01-09-11 12:12 AM
    wait for tuesday and get an iphone
    Yeah, even though the OP stated they want a new BB
    01-09-11 02:17 AM
    Either 9780 or 9800
    @swathe LOL true
    01-09-11 02:25 AM
    If you are looking for a BB on Verizon definitely go for the Bold 9650. It will be getting OS6 sometime very soon too (officially).
    01-09-11 03:19 AM
    Good info from Sandman. 9650 is a solid phone.

Also if interested in the 9300, grab it. Also a good phone, just can't remember if it has the same amount of memory or not.

Also wouldn't really worry about flash. The flash sucks on these cameras IMO. I tend to take pics in decent lighting knowing this. I have a Bold 9700, which takes okay pics...just the flash don't work all that great. Maybe it is stronger on the 9650?

Good luck!

01-09-11 08:07 AM
    Either 9780 or 9800
    @swathe LOL true
    VZW does not offer either of those devices.
    01-09-11 11:24 AM
    Good info from Sandman. 9650 is a solid phone.

Also if interested in the 9300, grab it. Also a good phone, just can't remember if it has the same amount of memory or not.

Also wouldn't really worry about flash. The flash sucks on these cameras IMO. I tend to take pics in decent lighting knowing this. I have a Bold 9700, which takes okay pics...just the flash don't work all that great. Maybe it is stronger on the 9650?

Good luck!

The new Curve on VZW is the 9330. The specifications are available here.
    01-09-11 11:26 AM
    Definitely go with the Bold 9650. You will love it! I have it on Sprint I best of all the official OS 6 has an amazing battery life! You wont regret it. Its a rock solid device.
    01-09-11 11:29 AM
    Open up your mind and don't limit yourself to a BB. There are some great phones out there that you may like much better. Do yourself a favor and look at all of them.
    01-09-11 11:31 AM
    Go with the 9780 if you want the best battery life and good physical keyboard, otherwise if you fany touch screens and dont mind the flat keyboard with lower battery life then the Torch is your best bet as it has an amazing screen
    01-09-11 12:29 PM
    Definitely no iPhone for me. I'll go to a Verizon store and check out the Curve and Bold. How is the Tour? Does anyone use that?
    01-09-11 12:53 PM
    Go with the 9780 if you want the best battery life and good physical keyboard, otherwise if you fany touch screens and dont mind the flat keyboard with lower battery life then the Torch is your best bet as it has an amazing screen
    VZW does not have the 9780 or the Torch (besides the OP said no touch screens).

I would say go with the Bold if you are wanting another BB. Think if your 8330 on steroids.

The 9330 is a very good device if you do decide to go that route. The biggest drawback is no flash for the camera. It is a very solid device.
    01-09-11 12:56 PM
    Other than the lack of flash for camera and the different keyboard, what functional differences are there between the Curve vs. Bold?
    01-09-11 05:39 PM
    No charging points on the back, lower resolution, imo the trackpad is a little crappier, smaller battery (but about the same battery life ime), weaker LED, much lighter weight. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
    01-09-11 06:24 PM
    No charging points on the back, lower resolution, imo the trackpad is a little crappier, smaller battery (but about the same battery life ime), weaker LED, much lighter weight. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
    It does not exhibit the build quality of the Bold either. Feels cheap in my opinion.
    01-09-11 11:13 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD