Has anybody thought about how a blackberry device would sell if it ran android out of the box?

What I mean is it would NOT run BB10. Personally I prefer BB10 over Android but there is clearly a larger market for Android devices, and I think a lot of people would like a slider style phone, I think they would sell a lot more devices running Android out of the box than it would BB10, there would be 2 versions of the same device, one running android out of the box and the other would run BB10 out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    nademon and Donvald like this.
    03-07-15 11:49 PM
    i highly doubt it would sell any better. as long as its called blackberry ppl will think its a phone like this:

http://www.areamobile.de/assets/hand...berry-6200.jpg

at this point i fear the name 'blackberry' frightens away more buyers itself than the os
    03-07-15 11:53 PM
    The android market is saturated... BlackBerry would not do any better and I think it would actually have the opposite effect. BlackBerry users will not use it.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:22 AM
    i highly doubt it would sell any better. as long as its called blackberry ppl will think its a phone like this:

http://www.areamobile.de/assets/hand...berry-6200.jpg

at this point i fear the name 'blackberry' frightens away more buyers itself than the os
    Yeah I've been thinking that they should have changed their name but I think the effect could be negative as well since they have a reputation...

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:25 AM
    I bought a BlackBerry because I wanted a BlackBerry. Case closed.

BLΛCKBΣЯЯY ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    03-08-15 12:27 AM
    What they brand it under is their call, I'm just saying there is a market for an android phone that has a physical keyboard, and I believe its bigger than the market for a blackberry 10 os device that has a physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    bbry89 likes this.
    03-08-15 12:29 AM
    is it any good among consumers? they could go with blackberry for security conscious enterprises and something else for consumers
    03-08-15 12:39 AM
    Yeah, should run an os and rely on apps that don't support pkb phones anymore.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:49 AM
    What they brand it under is their call, I'm just saying there is a market for an android phone that has a physical keyboard, and I believe its bigger than the market for a blackberry 10 os device that has a physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I believe it's all about marketing and not the OS itself that would increase sells. How many people know about BlackBerry 10 and the built in android runtime?

Posted via CB10
    EchoesFX, web99 and KOOLWATER like this.
    03-08-15 12:51 AM
    Im all in it for BB10. But just for arguments sake.. I personally think if BlackBerry would come out with an Android phone.. then this time be ahead of the spec race.. be ahead in aestethics. (curve phone edge screen) high battery life. Less bloatware. More apps with hub.. then people might just take a look at it. Dont you think?

I think if BlackBerry comes up with a new phone.. even if its android but has something new and looks great then people will look at it.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald and KOOLWATER like this.
    03-08-15 12:54 AM
    Yeah I've been thinking that they should have changed their name but I think the effect could be negative as well since they have a reputation...

Posted via CB10
    They can change their name from 'BlackBerry' to '#BlackBerry' to appeal to the new generation. The "pound sign" seems to be quite appealing to the young folks.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    divyan likes this.
    03-08-15 01:07 AM
    Ok.. if you insist on running Android, make it special and unique. Such as Android with no Google services. Comes with Blackberry Hub and one consumer email services with an email extension of @blackberry.com... that would be nice!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 01:11 AM
    I believe it's all about marketing and not the OS itself that would increase sells. How many people know about BlackBerry 10 and the built in android runtime?

Posted via CB10
    Not many... but it doesn't matter because people think, "I want a physical keyboard" so they are in the cell phone store and all the phones they look at with physical keyboards say "blackberry" and then they say, "I don't want blackberry, I want android, where are the phones with android and keyboards", then the sales person says, "those don't exist", and the customer scratches their head and buys a touch screen android.

Posted via CB10
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    03-08-15 01:25 AM
    I think if BlackBerry comes up with a new phone.. even if its android but has something new and looks great then people will look at it.

Posted via CB10
    Most consumers dismiss blackerry because it runs blackberry os, I agree fully with what you said but I would remove he word "even", ie: if its android and has something new and looks great then people would look at it.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 01:29 AM
    Mods, can we please lock this thread?. We already have multiple threads discussing this very same topic. Either the OP is a failure with the search button or they are trolling us.
    03-08-15 03:25 AM
    People have gradually started trusting the BlackBerry name, if BlackBerry goes android then its BlackBerry coffin.

It can open a backdoor to install android OS provided the user assumes responsibility and security warranty void.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 03:43 AM
    Dont think it would help BlackBerry with their name on an android device but if I pretend for minute that it would work, they would have to register a new company called Droidberry or something so it doesnt tarnish the BlackBerry name. Had enough with that the past few years!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2480
    03-08-15 03:55 AM
    Dont think it would help BlackBerry with their name on an android device but if I pretend for minute that it would work, they would have to register a new company called Droidberry or something so it doesnt tarnish the BlackBerry name. Had enough with that the past few years!

How about BlackDroid? :P

And to the OP: No, BlackBerry should be BlackBerry, screw android!

Posted via CB10
    DonTonyB and extisis like this.
    03-08-15 04:03 AM
    Seems like nobody mentioned the obvious: Android is a bit of the exact opposite of BlackBerry. No security or respect for basic privacy.

I'd rather see BB vanish than surrender to Google.
    "Death before dishonor!"

Q10/CB10
    03-08-15 04:09 AM

Yeah, this definitely is how they would do it, same physical phone just different branding.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 04:28 AM
    Seems like nobody mentioned the obvious: Android is a bit of the exact opposite of BlackBerry. No security or respect for basic privacy.

I'd rather see BB vanish than surrender to Google.
    "Death before dishonor!"

Q10/CB10
    When I think of a blackberry, its the OS that I resonate with and the patented physical keyboard.

I think this would not be surrendering to google, instead it would get the masses using blackberry phones again, so USING google to blackberries advantage... just like what they did with BBM... if they would have released it on android and ios 3 years earlier it would still be the most popular IM platform.

If they release a phone with android os it will get blackberry phones back in consumers hands and it won't be such an odd thing to see someone with a blackberry. Then the stigma that blackberry is dead will fade and people will switch to BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    kazza295 likes this.
    03-08-15 04:33 AM
    The android market is saturated... BlackBerry would not do any better and I think it would actually have the opposite effect. BlackBerry users will not use it.

Posted via CB10
    Precisely, I would drop BlackBerry if it switches over to android OR adds anything more than the current runtime. BlackBerry must stay BlackBerry and stick to its guns. It has a great OS and once the android market falls, people will give BlackBerry a chance again. Nothing lasts forever. Android will be beaten eventually.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2243
    BionicKris and David Tyler like this.
    03-08-15 05:06 AM
    The only possibly profitable Android-only phone BlackBerry could make is one with their keyboard. There are too many high spec'ed Android's from the likes of Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. and there are too many cheap ones from China to compete with for full touch.
    03-08-15 05:16 AM
    STFU with 'BlackBerry should run Android' BS already. Seriously.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 05:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is far superior than Android. Android is a de-volving OS, though better than iOS, still cannot match BB10. That's a common fact that cannot be disputed. BB10 runs Android Apps, and with each update they end up running better. People into physical keys should buy a BB10 smart phone with physical keys. No other company can make a physical QWERTY better than BlackBerry. Just not possible, not with all the patents BlackBerry has.

The only possibly profitable Android-only phone BlackBerry could make is one with their keyboard. There are too many high spec'ed Android's from the likes of Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. and there are too many cheap ones from China to compete with for full touch.
    No offence to those that like Android (For Some Reason?) but it's incapable of competing with BB10. Let's drop this BlackBerry should run Android nonsense.
    Sure they have a larger market share, and a lot of that has to do with BlackBerry messing up how they executed BB10. Delays & Delays, allowed Android to rise, despite how un-intuitive the OS really is.

I've read this once, and I will post it once again, BB10 is far superior, and its a evolutionary OS. Intelligent, intuitive, productive, secure and consistently fast. Everything flows with it. It's quite catchy. A little more Marketing Effort, and all it takes is for people to try BB10, to actually be impressed.
    D3C0D3R, Steelsheen and BionicKris like this.
    03-08-15 05:47 AM
369 123 ...