Hi guys i am a new BB owner and currently have a 9700, I was looking for ways to disable the loud noise BB makes while making an emergency call because I know the potential danger(most of the times when you dial emergency number you don't want anyone else to know) with such a stupid noise if the situation actually calls for one.

So i looked through official BB site Contact Us page, most of the help pages are for Business/Enterprises and some options require you to pay. So i came across the term BES and BIS, i know what they standfor but
    1. what really is BES and BIS? what does it do? advantages and disadvantages?
    2. why BB only offers their support to their partners and enterprises who owns at least 30 BBs.
    3. so I assume there are some companies which has all their employees required to use BBs I can't imagine a company that would "make" their employees use a certain type of cellphones, any enlightenment why and what kind companies do this?(i am trying to understand the full potential of BB so this came thru my mind, maybe my next employer will give me one for free too )

sorry these are noob questions
    but this is the best forum around as i felt by reading your other slides

Thx a lot guys
    03-15-10 02:51 AM
    Hi guys i am a new BB owner and currently have a 9700, I was looking for ways to disable the loud noise BB makes while making an emergency call because I know the potential danger(most of the times when you dial emergency number you don't want anyone else to know) with such a stupid noise if the situation actually calls for one.

So i looked through official BB site Contact Us page, most of the help pages are for Business/Enterprises and some options require you to pay. So i came across the term BES and BIS, i know what they standfor but
    1. what really is BES and BIS? what does it do? advantages and disadvantages?
    2. why BB only offers their support to their partners and enterprises who owns at least 30 BBs.
    3. so I assume there are some companies which has all their employees required to use BBs I can't imagine a company that would "make" their employees use a certain type of cellphones, any enlightenment why and what kind companies do this?(i am trying to understand the full potential of BB so this came thru my mind, maybe my next employer will give me one for free too )

sorry these are noob questions
    but this is the best forum around as i felt by reading your other slides

Thx a lot guys
    Just check this link out http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series
    03-15-10 05:06 AM
    1. BES stands for BlackBerry Enterprise Server and is primarily for businesses. BIS stands for BlackBerry Internet Service and is what consumers use.

2. The phone carriers provide customer support for RIM. That's why if you as a consumer want to talk to RIM without going through your carrier, you need to pay them. Otherwise, call your phone carrier for support.

3. Yes, many companies who provide phones for their employees choose BlackBerry devices (for a variety of reasons). If they are paying, they get to choose.
    03-15-10 06:05 AM
    The link bushako posted is good but here is the quick answers to your questions too.

BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) is a service offered by RIM to help provide companys to provide mobile services to employees. This service requirements additional hardware and software to be installed by the company. A BES allows a company to control the devices attached. BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) is the standard service provided by RIM and your carrier that allows you to get your non-work emails on your BlackBerry. When using a BES, the BES Admin can control every function of any device on the server. It also provides security tools to help protect company information that may be stored on the devices in the case of the device being stolen, lost or damaged. Because of this added control companies like to use a BES enviroment and it is because of these reasons that some companies will only allow their employees to use BlackBerrys.
    03-15-10 06:05 AM
    The link bushako posted is good but here is the quick answers to your questions too.

BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) is a service offered by RIM to help provide companys to provide mobile services to employees. This service requirements additional hardware and software to be installed by the company. A BES allows a company to control the devices attached. BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) is the standard service provided by RIM and your carrier that allows you to get your non-work emails on your BlackBerry. When using a BES, the BES Admin can control every function of any device on the server. It also provides security tools to help protect company information that may be stored on the devices in the case of the device being stolen, lost or damaged. Because of this added control companies like to use a BES enviroment and it is because of these reasons that some companies will only allow their employees to use BlackBerrys.

thanks a lot guys, and ben, I came across a post(on another site) when I was searching for unlocking blackberry on google yesterday, it was not about carrier unlock but rather some other kinda unlock, and it mentioned if you are under BES and doing something like that could get you fired?
    can a company admin lock the wifi on your BB too make it unusable(since they can control every function)?
    my plan only comes with unlimited email and IM that counts as BIS right?
    Last edited by new_to_BB; 03-15-10 at 01:10 PM.
    03-15-10 01:02 PM
    On BES, they can control everything.
    03-15-10 04:46 PM
    I'm not familiar with any "unlock" that does anything but allow you to use another carrier, not relieve the phone of BIS vs. BES. If you have a BES phone, supplied by your company, and you're looking to remove yourself from their tether, you really ought to rethink that, they'll find out soon enough and yes, the company could decide to terminate you if they so choose (other companies may just slap you on the wrist, but my guess is, you'll certainly tick off the IT person in your office! And, I also remember that the IT person was the very last person in your office you wanted ticked off at you, lol.)

Regarding the Unlimited Email and IMs, that is the plan for your device and has nothing to do with the BIS/BES issue. That plan is available to anyone.

thanks a lot guys, and ben, I came across a post(on another site) when I was searching for unlocking blackberry on google yesterday, it was not about carrier unlock but rather some other kinda unlock, and it mentioned if you are under BES and doing something like that could get you fired?
    can a company admin lock the wifi on your BB too make it unusable(since they can control every function)?
    my plan only comes with unlimited email and IM that counts as BIS right?
    03-15-10 05:14 PM
    I'm not familiar with any "unlock" that does anything but allow you to use another carrier, not relieve the phone of BIS vs. BES. If you have a BES phone, supplied by your company, and you're looking to remove yourself from their tether, you really ought to rethink that, they'll find out soon enough and yes, the company could decide to terminate you if they so choose (other companies may just slap you on the wrist, but my guess is, you'll certainly tick off the IT person in your office! And, I also remember that the IT person was the very last person in your office you wanted ticked off at you, lol.)

Regarding the Unlimited Email and IMs, that is the plan for your device and has nothing to do with the BIS/BES issue. That plan is available to anyone.
    I have to pay like 15 dolalrs a month for unlimited email/IM, my carrier (rogers), calls it the most basic data plan(without browsing bandwidth/browsing plan), and i HAVE to have a data plan included in my contract in order to get my Blackberry.

So i concluded i am neither on a BIS or BES, but people at Rogers booth tell me that my wifi is locked without a browsing plan, and i've been to phoneshops and reading posts on this forum, i think the booth people are lying to me in order to make commission?
    03-15-10 07:32 PM
    Ok, you are confusing a bunch of things.

If your device is not connected to your employers network, then you are not on a BES.

The plan on Rogers is a limited BlackBerry data plan allowing you access to email and IM as you have indicated. It does not give you access to internet browsing via their network.

No one is "locking" your WiFi if you are not on a BES.

You cannot access BlackBerry specific data features without a BlackBerry data plan which is why you cannot access the internet on an email/IM only plan.

You should be able to access a WiFi access point, however. Go to the "How to" forum section and read up on the complete WiFi Guide for instructions on how to set it up.

It seems that you just need to learn a little bit more about the device and what you can do on your limited plan.
    03-15-10 07:45 PM
    I don't really know how Rogers has their plans set up, but I would be very doubtful that a rep would simply "lie" to you in order to make some commission. Have you tried calling them (rather than talking to some local guy in a booth)? I know that with VZW, it's the same in that you "have to have a data plan" with the BB, but the data plan INCLUDES WiFi. Then again, it's $30.00 a month, so perhaps that's why we get internet access and you don't with your plan. You are though, either on BIS or BES, you have to be on one of the two. I'd give Rogers a call and get the straight scoop.
    03-15-10 07:45 PM
    I don't really know how Rogers has their plans set up, but I would be very doubtful that a rep would simply "lie" to you in order to make some commission. Have you tried calling them (rather than talking to some local guy in a booth)? I know that with VZW, it's the same in that you "have to have a data plan" with the BB, but the data plan INCLUDES WiFi. Then again, it's $30.00 a month, so perhaps that's why we get internet access and you don't with your plan. You are though, either on BIS or BES, you have to be on one of the two. I'd give Rogers a call and get the straight scoop.
    "data plan INCLudes wifi", Isn't Wifi suppose to be free(stand alone from your wireless network, since i am already paying home internet bill and tuition fees at school), i mean how can any plan EXclude wifi? (i'll give a call tmr)
    if i am not on BES, but have the basic data plan (email and IM only), i COULD be on BIS, but also could not?
    but regardless according to motorcycle mama, my wifi should work, the tech at the booth said without browsing plan, it will be locked, i am gettin more and more certain that this tech is BS me.
    Last edited by new_to_BB; 03-15-10 at 11:10 PM.
    03-15-10 08:18 PM
    Yes, WiFi should work. BUT YOU NEED TO SET IT UP CORRECTLY!
    03-15-10 09:05 PM
    03-15-10 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD