Hi,

Im due for an upgrade and have always really liked the sound of BB's for what they can do emailing wise and for out put. I was wondering what the best type of BB is to suit my needs. I usually use a phone for internet/emailing but was also wondering if the BB range are capable of completing spreadsheets/playing games/music as I travel around quite abit. Have also spoken to other people I know who own BB's and say the user experience is 'slugish' on models such as the curve 8520. I would prefer a BB with both 3G and wifi if possible.

Any support and advice is greatly apreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 04:37 PM
    I would prefer a BB with both 3G and wifi if possible.
    Not only possible, but that feature set is available on both the touch screen Storm 2 and the touch pad Bold 9700. Your choice of carrier will determine which models are avaible to you.

Editing Microsoft Office documents requires third party software. DocsToGo offers a full suite of compatable tools.
    04-17-10 04:46 PM
    If you're on ATT or TMO, grab the 9700
    04-17-10 04:47 PM
    Hey, and welcome to Crackberry. I'm going to offer you some advice that may not be quite what you'll hear from others. Your post is very typical of new users, simply seeking input from others to assist them with their purchase decision. Unfortunately, so much of the advice is unreliable or completely biased. Nobody, and I do mean, NOBODY, can tell you what's best for you. Personally, I think the very best route is to take a look at the models your carrier offers, then do research on professional reviews of these devices to look at features, comparisons, performance results, etc. Once you've done that bit of homework, go to your local carrier's store and play around with each of the devices to see what feels comfortable for you to use. I'd make it mandatory that you leave and peruse the threads here and then return again to play with them. Until then, do not commit yourself to anything.

There are fans (I'll resist using the term "fanboi" of all devices, both BB, iPhone and Droid. Speaking of those other brands, you're sure to get some of them visiting here, saying "BB sucks, get a Droid/iPhone" or something similar. Keep in mind, that nobody offers the perfect device and what works for one person may not work for another.

Consider options such as screen size, touch screen or physical keyboard, age of phone (no point in buying a phone you know is going to be replaced soon), known issues, memory, etc. Also, do a little research to see what new devices are planned for your carrier (i.e., the Storm 3 is planned for the end of this year, there's huge rumors about iPhone coming to Verizon, the new Tour, etc.). There are some good threads that ask people to post lists of what features are most important for them. They're worth looking at as they may provoke a thought of something you had not considered previously.

Above all else, always be aware that opinions vary, some are valid some are totally off the wall and there are many inaccuracies posted here, so if something is brought up, research it a bit more before taking it at face value.

It would help if you stated your carrier as not all carriers offer the same phones. Do you need GSM or CDMA (or both)? Does your carrier have flat rate plans or tiered plans? You say you "travel around a bit" but is that within the same country or international?

Personally, I love the Storm 2. It does everything I want it to do, while realizing it's not perfect nor without its own set of flaws. Still, I'd buy it again if I was in the market for a new phone. It will give you the option to do spreadsheets (you can view them with standard, existing software but you'll probably have to upgrade the software to be able to edit spreadsheets). Speaking of that, personally, I'd hate to have to be editing spreadsheets on a small screen, but that's just me! It plays music, offers games (many of which won't play on older BBs or those with lower memory. The Storm 2 is, to the best of my knowledge, the only BB that supports Open GL for games. Again though, this may not float your boat, so check around and take what you hear here, with a huge grain of salt.
    04-17-10 04:55 PM
    The 8530 also has OpenGL. I don't know who told you that the 8520 was slugish, I haven't used one (I have the 8530) but 85XX is not slugish in my opinion.
    04-17-10 04:59 PM
    ... snip ... I would prefer a BB with both 3G and wifi if possible.
    You don't say what carriers you are with or are looking at.

The upcoming Essex/Tour2/Bold 9650 should have 3G and WiFi.
    04-17-10 05:08 PM
    Sorry, Im from England and with 02, not sure if they have this carrier over in the states, but from their website looks like they stock a good rangs of BB devices. Have looked around on youtube re: the Tour 2 which Im very interested in, so may hold out for that one.

Was also wondering how the BB pin works to talk to other BB users for free?
    04-17-10 05:34 PM
    02? Ahh..well, that makes a big difference. Some models you see recommended here may or may not be available to you. They are not in the US, and I know very little about them.

Regarding BBM, yes, you can add contacts to your BlackBerry Messenger that also have BBs and you can text them for free (at least, that's the way it works here and I suspect, everywhere else. Someone correct me if I'm wrong). BBM bypasses your carrier's servers and runs directly through BBs servers, so, no charge. It's a big selling feature for BBs.

Sorry, Im from England and with 02, not sure if they have this carrier over in the states, but from their website looks like they stock a good rangs of BB devices. Have looked around on youtube re: the Tour 2 which Im very interested in, so may hold out for that one.

Was also wondering how the BB pin works to talk to other BB users for free?
    04-17-10 05:38 PM
    If you want a Blackberry, get either the Storm 2 or 9700 as was said. It sounds like you are on a GSM network anyway. But what phone do you have now and what all do you want in a phone? Do you want battery life so you don't have to charge or will you be able to charge a lot? Do you wanna play with the phone and do games and still do a lot of productivity stuff too? Other platforms are just fine too, but it just depends on what you want to do.

04-17-10 06:57 PM
    What carrier are you currently with? It could help us give you better suggestions with which BB to get. No matter what BB you get you will love it. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on CB.com too because this place is packed full of use full information and how to get your BB set up perfectly for your use. Good luck!! Let us know which model you choose!

04-17-10 07:43 PM
    Hey, and welcome to Crackberry. I'm going to offer you some advice that may not be quite what you'll hear from others. Your post is very typical of new users, simply seeking input from others to assist them with their purchase decision. Unfortunately, so much of the advice is unreliable or completely biased. Nobody, and I do mean, NOBODY, can tell you what's best for you. Personally, I think the very best route is to take a look at the models your carrier offers, then do research on professional reviews of these devices to look at features, comparisons, performance results, etc. Once you've done that bit of homework, go to your local carrier's store and play around with each of the devices to see what feels comfortable for you to use. I'd make it mandatory that you leave and peruse the threads here and then return again to play with them. Until then, do not commit yourself to anything.

There are fans (I'll resist using the term "fanboi" of all devices, both BB, iPhone and Droid. Speaking of those other brands, you're sure to get some of them visiting here, saying "BB sucks, get a Droid/iPhone" or something similar. Keep in mind, that nobody offers the perfect device and what works for one person may not work for another.

Consider options such as screen size, touch screen or physical keyboard, age of phone (no point in buying a phone you know is going to be replaced soon), known issues, memory, etc. Also, do a little research to see what new devices are planned for your carrier (i.e., the Storm 3 is planned for the end of this year, there's huge rumors about iPhone coming to Verizon, the new Tour, etc.). There are some good threads that ask people to post lists of what features are most important for them. They're worth looking at as they may provoke a thought of something you had not considered previously.

Above all else, always be aware that opinions vary, some are valid some are totally off the wall and there are many inaccuracies posted here, so if something is brought up, research it a bit more before taking it at face value.

It would help if you stated your carrier as not all carriers offer the same phones. Do you need GSM or CDMA (or both)? Does your carrier have flat rate plans or tiered plans? You say you "travel around a bit" but is that within the same country or international?

Personally, I love the Storm 2. It does everything I want it to do, while realizing it's not perfect nor without its own set of flaws. Still, I'd buy it again if I was in the market for a new phone. It will give you the option to do spreadsheets (you can view them with standard, existing software but you'll probably have to upgrade the software to be able to edit spreadsheets). Speaking of that, personally, I'd hate to have to be editing spreadsheets on a small screen, but that's just me! It plays music, offers games (many of which won't play on older BBs or those with lower memory. The Storm 2 is, to the best of my knowledge, the only BB that supports Open GL for games. Again though, this may not float your boat, so check around and take what you hear here, with a huge grain of salt.

i think this is the best advice anyone has posted in any of these types of threads

What carrier are you currently with? It could help us give you better suggestions with which BB to get. No matter what BB you get you will love it. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on CB.com too because this place is packed full of use full information and how to get your BB set up perfectly for your use. Good luck!! Let us know which model you choose!

he/she said they have 02
    04-17-10 08:04 PM
    the 9700 is pretty nice
    04-23-10 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD