I took the trackball apart from my wifes pearl just to see how hard or easy it was since we upgraded to 8310 curves awhile ago. I will never do that again i had a hard time getting it back together, If you decide to take it apart and clean it .....have tons of patience and read the tutorial
    10-11-08 11:45 AM
    Thanks for the advice!
    10-11-08 11:49 AM
    I had heard it aint the easiest thing to do yeah!
    10-11-08 12:01 PM
    First 2 times i did it, it was a breeze! The last time it took me over an hour with alot of cussing and swearing....lol Even lost one of the magnetized rollers when i dropped it. Looked for 10 minutes before i found it stuck to my belt buckle....lol If you bend any of the silver metal prongs just a little, its hard to get them back just right. I think ill order a few sets so i can just take them out and switch them before cleaning...After my last stressful trackball and roller cleaning, ive learnt my lesson... I can laugh now, but i think my neighbors on the next block heard me trying to put it back together...lol
    10-11-08 01:32 PM
    i took it out myself and broke the ring... had no trackball till i hit a warranty store from at&t and they were nice enough to changed it for free....
    10-11-08 07:18 PM
    whenever you are in your providers store, ask if they have any bbs in their returns, many will switch out your trackballs (if all the employees have already switched theirs out..)
    10-11-08 08:44 PM
    If you don't want to ruin your phone, get a can with compressed air. It costs around 2 dollars. It's easy. Just point and shoot. I use it for my lap top keyboard.
    10-11-08 08:53 PM
    Its actually the easiest thing in the world to do. Its just a pain sometimes getting it to snap back together, but overall anyone can do it.

Can air works as well, but that won't work once your ball gets dirty
    10-11-08 09:31 PM
    ended up breaking some of the pieces when i took the rollers out and spent over an hour on it, ended up not being able to scroll right for a few days waiting for a new trackball. form now on if i have a problem ill just order a new one since it's less than 10 shipped.
    10-11-08 10:36 PM
    I tried the same thing, totally messed it up. Went to the Sprint store: and boosted one from the demo phone. Not my proudest moment, but drastic times call for drastic measures!!!!!
    10-12-08 05:46 PM
    My trackball on one of my curves got stuck just after one month of use.

I tried taking it apart myself and failed miserably..I just ordered on off ebay for around $10. So much easier.

I found that the pearl I had for over a year and a half never had the stuck ball problem. Probably because I always have it in a sleeve when I put it in my pocket.

My curve on the other hand I just had a skin on it and kept it in my pocket. Must have been all the lint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-08 06:23 PM
    I broke a tiny clip on the silver ring when I did mine but other than having to be really careful it was fairly simple. Keep in mind I replaced the whole trackball & ring I didn't clean them.

10-12-08 11:08 PM
    I really just messed mine up!!! if and when I get mine fixed I'm never doing it again!!!

10-13-08 02:59 AM
    I am new here thanks for letting me in!
    10-13-08 03:02 AM
    I cant imagine trying to take the ball out of the holder. It was hard enough just swapping the trackball.

IMO I will just buy a replacement instead of trying to clean it.
    10-13-08 09:10 AM
    I'm going to be getting the curve or the pearl have not decided yet bit its nice to have this info in advance!!
    10-13-08 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD