Are there any GPS applications that do not require Cell signal or data connection of any type? For example, if I am driving on a desert road in Arizona, and I make a wrong turn, is there a program which could get me directions back to civilization, or at least have searchable maps to help me get out? Even basic hand held GPS recievers seem to be able to do this, but is there a product which could do this on a blackberry or other phone?
    02-18-09 07:46 AM
    I don't specifically know the answer but without data, it will be hard for anything that does not store the info on the device (large database of roads/routes) to calculate.

BUT, there are at least two programs Trekbuddy and MobileGmaps (NOT google) that allow you to download maps in advance and place them on the sd card. But, IN ADVANCE means you need to plan ahead. Also, I don't believe either calculates routes but they could show you the road system and allow you to plot a, hopefully, useful route.

I have read that one of the earlier garmin products did come on a card so data would not be necessary but I don't read about it anymore and think it may be gone.
    02-18-09 10:05 AM
    Thanks, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. Now, do they work on Verizon? I had heard that Verizon had made it difficult to use third party programs for GPS on the blackberry.
    02-18-09 01:06 PM
    They do NOT work with older Verizon units such as my 8830 UNLESS you get a separate bluetooth gps puck. Only BBmaps and Verizon's own Navigator work depending on the OS.

There is mixed information on whether the gps is fully available on the newest BB's that verizon offers so I cannot answer the question fully.
    02-18-09 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD