Hello all, new to the Berry scene and have a question regarding home/roaming signal and choosing one over the other. Just a little background...

At home, I am on the "fringe" of my provider's signal (US Cellular). Recently, Verizon has moved into the area, and when they turned on their system, I noticed the phone is switching often between US Cellular signal (one bar or less) and Verizon's signal (a solid three bars in my house). Now the question...

I know there is an option to set "home only" so it won't roam, or "automatic" so it selects the stronger signal, but is there any way for me to select to roam only when I am home? The phone is constantly switching back and forth, which must be tough on the battery.

Please help and thanks,
    Rob
    02-24-09 05:37 PM
    Not sure as to the answer, but watch out, many carriers will drop you for roaming too much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 05:52 PM
    Not sure as to the answer, but watch out, many carriers will drop you for roaming too much.

Excellent point! I have spoken to USCC regarding the roaming from home and they assured me there would be no problem.

02-24-09 06:13 PM
    Any ideas? Anyone?

02-25-09 02:40 PM
    I have US Cellular, and no charge roaming is part of their national plan. Since USCC doesn't have as many towers as say Verizon or AT&T, they partner with other wireless providers to use their towers so to speak. I have read on here that USCC has an agreement with Verizon to use their towers, so as long as you have signal with USCC, and a national calling plan, you won't see a roaming charge, and you will not be dropped from USCC as a customer. As for the option to set the phone to only roam, I don't think that's possible.

02-25-09 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD