After stating that there's no plans to bring their app to the BlackBerry marketplace. There no doubt how upset a majority of us Netflix supporters were. My account has been on hol for about 7-8 months prior to that news, after finding that out I went ahead and canceled my account. Karma tho, can indeed be a B%$!#. Check out some of the biggest movies being pulled from their service. The 20 Best Movies Getting Pulled From Netflix Streaming Tomorrow (Updating)
    Looks like someone could have used the extra cash.
    02-27-12 12:31 PM
    Karma Its been known for quite a while that Starz would be pulling their content from Netflix as they couldn't agree on new terms for their contract renewal.
    02-27-12 01:07 PM
    Time for a Party Down marathon. Very funny show, I highly recommend it.
    02-27-12 01:27 PM
    Karma Its been known for quite a while that Starz would be pulling their content from Netflix as they couldn't agree on new terms for their contract renewal.
    That's the point, Starz wanted Netflix to pay more for it's content. Netflix declined what Starz was askin for. So this is the result, a big player in Netflix sucess being removed from their service.
    02-27-12 02:23 PM
    That's the point, Starz wanted Netflix to pay more for it's content. Netflix declined what Starz was askin for. So this is the result, a big player in Netflix sucess being removed from their service.
    So this is karma? lmao

This sounds like something that normally happens when two companies can't come to an agreement...
    02-27-12 02:37 PM
    Looks like someone could have used the extra cash.
    "Extra cash" was the reason they made the initial price hike.
    02-27-12 02:43 PM
    So this is karma? lmao

This sounds like something that normally happens when two companies can't come to an agreement...
    Karma from the stand point that they have struggled in the past. They started to recoup after the price hike debacle. Now this, they will surely lose subscribers. Don't know how much they will lose, but supporting blackberry would have surely helped. Karma.....
    02-27-12 02:53 PM
    "Extra cash" was the reason they made the initial price hike.
    We knew that
    02-27-12 02:55 PM
    We knew that
    We also knew they could use the extra cash.
    02-27-12 03:02 PM
    By all accounts, Starz only accounted for a very minor portion (8%) of the streamed content via Netflix over the year prior to the decision 5 months ago, and was estimated to drop even lower. Even if Netflix was at the top of its game and raking in record revenue, they would probably have still chosen not to accept the value Starz is now claiming for their content.

What happens now, is Netflix now has more money to throw at a Starz competitor.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-27-12 03:12 PM
    Karma from the stand point that they have struggled in the past. They started to recoup after the price hike debacle. Now this, they will surely lose subscribers. Don't know how much they will lose, but supporting blackberry would have surely helped. Karma.....
    So you are trying to relate this to them not supporting BB? There are BB users who still use Nextflix that do not have a PB. The majority of BB users don't have a PB, and I would think it is safe to say that the number one tablet BB users own is the iPad (which has netflix). The only BB users complaining about Netflix seem to be PB owners.

I still see no karma involved in this. It was a simple business decision.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-27-12 03:39 PM
    So you are trying to relate this to them not supporting BB? There are BB users who still use Nextflix that do not have a PB. The majority of BB users don't have a PB, and I would think it is safe to say that the number one tablet BB users own is the iPad (which has netflix). The only BB users complaining about Netflix seem to be PB owners.

I still see no karma involved in this. It was a simple business decision.
    That is exactly how I see it. I posted this in another thread:

What I am really wondering is what percentage of PB owners are currently Netflix customers already. That further reduces the potential revenue from new subscribers as a result of a PB app. This might be a reason why Netflix won't even bother to develop such an app as it is not commercially viable.

New Netflix subscribers don't signup to the service due to an app being available on a platform, especially on secondary devices such as tablets, smartphones, portable game consoles. Netflix users usually consume their content on a primary device ie a TV. Netflix apps help them to continue to consume their media in yet another "environment". I don't think its the other way around. Netflix subscribers that happen to be BB fans where well aware that Netflix support was not available on this platform before they chose to pick up their hardware (specially the case with PB users).

I fail to see the logic with canceling their subscription because an app for Netflix was never created for the PB or BB phones when they already knew that and where happy to get their content via other means until the infamous tweet. I see very little incentive for Netflix to develop an app for a platform that they have never supported and has very little potential to generate new subscribers.

PS Vita support is there because there is Netflix support for the PS3 as well as other Sony devices. Same goes for 3DS support and Nintendo.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-27-12 04:34 PM
    Not supporting BlackBerry is completely irrelevant to this. They chose not to because Android and iOS are the profitable markets right now for media apps. Who would want to watch a movie on a tiny 9900 screen? I'm sure they'll rethink this when the BB10 phones come out, but as of now they don't see a point.
    02-27-12 04:37 PM
    By all accounts, Starz only accounted for a very minor portion (8%) of the streamed content via Netflix over the year prior to the decision
    8% means that every 2 out of 25 videos streamed was a Starz video. (That's 1 out of every 12.5 videos)

8% is a bigger number than you realize.

Unless Netflix fills this void, I'll be canceling my subscription. (I would cancel anyway for not supporting the PlayBook, but I doubt I'd use their service on a tablet anyway.)
    02-27-12 04:50 PM
    This was known a long time back, the Starz negotiations broke a long time ago.

That said, even if Starz is not a large portion of their content, it is a decent amount of the easily-recognized, good movie content and will definitely be noticed... This has nothing to do with BB at all though.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-27-12 04:59 PM

What I am really wondering is what percentage of PB owners are currently Netflix customers already. That further reduces the potential revenue from new subscribers as a result of a PB app. This might be a reason why Netflix won't even bother to develop such an app as it is not commercially viable.

New Netflix subscribers don't signup to the service due to an app being available on a platform, especially on secondary devices such as tablets, smartphones, portable game consoles. Netflix users usually consume their content on a primary device ie a TV. Netflix apps help them to continue to consume their media in yet another "environment". I don't think its the other way around. Netflix subscribers that happen to be BB fans where well aware that Netflix support was not available on this platform before they chose to pick up their hardware (specially the case with PB users).

I fail to see the logic with canceling their subscription because an app for Netflix was never created for the PB or BB phones when they already knew that and where happy to get their content via other means until the infamous tweet. I see very little incentive for Netflix to develop an app for a platform that they have never supported and has very little potential to generate new subscribers.

PS Vita support is there because there is Netflix support for the PS3 as well as other Sony devices. Same goes for 3DS support and Nintendo.
    Good post. It's easier to believe in a conspiracy paid for by Apple against RIM. It gives people focus.
    02-27-12 05:14 PM
    By all accounts, Starz only accounted for a very minor portion (8%) of the streamed content via Netflix
    so im guessing netflix gonna be giving you an 8% credit every month till they get new content then right...........lol
    02-27-12 05:22 PM
    8% means that every 2 out of 25 videos streamed was a Starz video. (That's 1 out of every 12.5 videos)

8% is a bigger number than you realize.

Unless Netflix fills this void, I'll be canceling my subscription. (I would cancel anyway for not supporting the PlayBook, but I doubt I'd use their service on a tablet anyway.)
    I don't think you understood the point. The point was that Starz's marketshare of viewed content on Netflix was a minority compared to other content providers, and was shrinking. Netflix was paying $30 million for their content, offered nearly 10x that amount to renew (around $300 million if I recall correctly), and Starz still determined that was not enough. In a nutshell, they wanted a lion's share when their marketshare of viewed content was in the minority.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-27-12 05:26 PM

Very good post.
    02-27-12 05:44 PM
    What are Netflix's plans now that Microsoft is dropping Silverlight?
    02-27-12 05:49 PM
    Is Stars the the first or not the last provider to ask for more money. If they are not the last or only one who will ask for money when their contract is up, and it may be to much then netflix will be in trouble.
    02-27-12 05:59 PM
    By all accounts, Starz only accounted for a very minor portion (8%) of the streamed content via Netflix over the year prior to the decision 5 months ago, and was estimated to drop even lower. Even if Netflix was at the top of its game and raking in record revenue, they would probably have still chosen not to accept the value Starz is now claiming for their content.

What happens now, is Netflix now has more money to throw at a Starz competitor.
    I completely agree rmjones101 and I am sure they have already decided on a competitor if not very close. Although it�s a weak attempt Comcast is trying to compete with Netflix with their Streampix but the content and distribution is not allowing for enough expansion right now for their to be any real competition. Netflix is losing it�s game with the unfortunate decisions that are already in effect as you mentioned plus they have competition when it comes to live streaming on a large growth scale. I�ve worked for Dish for quite a few years and seen the �Starz Scenario� many times, if the company losing the channels has the money to bargain then the channels will be taken away for awhile and then return once a negotiation is met. Unfortunately, Netflix is playing for bad decisions from months ago and most likely will not have the finances to move forward with a new contract with Starz. I have Starz and a better live streaming service through dishonline due to the amount of content and lack of restrictions. With my service TV, movies, On Demand, Live TV with my favorite invention the sling adapter, which connects to my DVR and internet, gives me so much more than what the competition can come close to. It�s a low cost investment for the amount of quality and content versus the frustration and limitation of other services.
    03-05-12 05:16 PM
    I use NetFlix for the old-school TV shows. At any rate,....you're "karma" comment is a little skewed. NetFlix not renewing their contract doesn't mean people are going to suddenly decide they'd rather have a BlackBerry phone. They can't play NetFlix anyway. (or hulu,....or Amazon content,.....or Skype,.....or ad nauseum....)
    03-05-12 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD