I'm pulling my hair out. Carrying two devices (under the circumstances) has gotten old fast. I keep hitting roadblocks when trying to transfer my 9810 contents to my BB Android device.
    -Content transfer: can't get it onto the old device. The 9810 browser can't, I guess, navigate the website to get to the download link. When I try to download it on my pc and transfer it to the 9810, that doesn't seem to work either. Does anyone have a alternate place to download it? (wait, isn't Content Transfer the one that says it does not transfer text messages from BBos to Android??)
    -Google Sync: can't find it anymore. Again, does anyone know of a place where it can still be downloaded? I've tried file hippo -type sites and no luck there, either.
    -Some software says it can take a OS7 backup and import it to android. ...for, like, $40. I'm not in a hurry to fork out $$ I don't have available for a 'maybe might work' thing.
    -If I can get my hands on an OS10 device for a day or two, can I help my plight by restoring the OS7 backup to the OS10 device, then using Link?

I want to transfer SMS (more than 3500...), MMS, calendar, contacts. I have never felt inclined before to use outlook or google for contacts or calendar, so they're not already there.

There. That's my story. What have I missed? Blackberry has been a solid platform for me for the last 7-8 years. But I have to move on now. So far, I'm not so impressed with BB Android. But that's what I bought, so I'll give it the college try.
    Thanks, all.
    Last edited by nas2; 06-02-18 at 10:16 PM.
    06-02-18 08:38 PM
    I remember the problems with transitioning from BBOS and BB10... it just wasn't that easy to do, and it was the same company. What worked best was to handle each "need" separately.

There was an app out there (PC based) that would pull the info from your Backups (weren't encrypted on BBOS). But it was around $20, which today seems cheap... but I didn't use it.
    Are u able to download Ultimate Backup from BBW? It can pretty much backup everything. But I'm not sure how it will transfer to BB Android.
    06-03-18 02:06 AM
    Are u able to download Ultimate Backup from BBW? It can pretty much backup everything. But I'm not sure how it will transfer to BB Android.
    Good question! I have the BB Desktop software up and running (found a place to download that since I haven't used it in so long... new computer). So I have the backup it provides.
    What is the file extension used by Ultimate Backup? The regular Desktop software uses .bbb, I think. That software I came across only reads a .bak file...
    Also, I guess I thought BBW was pretty dead for OS7. I just now pulled it up on a web browser and it seems to work. huh. cool.
    So I just got it to email me links to several apps. Here goes. btw, I found one called Contact Backup Ultimate. Is that the one you are referring to?
    Thanks, DWonder, for the heads up. I'll let you know how this goes.

edit: OK, how do I reinstall BBW on my 9810? It got deleted at some point... I suppose I could do a factory wipe of the device then use the restore file. But I hope there's another, less-risky way.

edit: Huh. I figured out how to reinstall bbw via the desktop software. But after the required phone restart, it says it won't run until I update it to the latest version. Not a problem, except it won't do it and it won't let me do anything else with bbw, either. The url provided in the error message (blackberry.com/appworld/support) leads me to a page that says it can give me bbw, but it actually just takes me to bbw where apps are selected and downloaded. I haven't found a place, yet, where it can actually be updated / downloaded again. *sigh*, another seeming dead-end.
    Last edited by nas2; 06-04-18 at 01:03 AM. Reason: update info
    06-03-18 03:20 AM
    Good question! I have the BB Desktop software up and running (found a place to download that since I haven't used it in so long... new computer). So I have the backup it provides.
    What is the file extension used by Ultimate Backup? The regular Desktop software uses .bbb, I think. That software I came across only reads a .bak file...
    Also, I guess I thought BBW was pretty dead for OS7. I just now pulled it up on a web browser and it seems to work. huh. cool.
    So I just got it to email me links to several apps. Here goes. btw, I found one called Contact Backup Ultimate. Is that the one you are referring to?
    Thanks, DWonder, for the heads up. I'll let you know how this goes.

edit: OK, how do I reinstall BBW on my 9810? It got deleted at some point... I suppose I could do a factory wipe of the device then use the restore file. But I hope there's another, less-risky way.
    No problem. My bad...i copied the link but forgot to paste it to my post, lol. Just curious, wut are u mainly try to transfer over? Like, wuts ur main focus?

Ultimate Backup converts to HTML and Excel. Another work around would be "if" u got Ultimate Backup on ur BB7 phone then could backup it up and put it on a BB10 device. Then from there use the Content Transfer app to get everything to ur Android phone. I personally didn't transfer texts messages from my Classic to my KEYone but they should transfer over ok

There's probably a better way to do it.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...me-984001/?amp
    06-03-18 03:41 AM
    If I remember correctly (it's been 6 or 7 years since I last used it), but doesn't BB Desktop allow exporting of contacts to "comma delimited" or "tab delimited" or some similar variation? That's probably the most important.

As far as text messages, I don't think that's likely to be transferable. While there were probably tools at one time that could move them from BBOS to BB10, they may well not exist any longer (or may not be accessible, which is essentially the same thing), and even then, I don't think you can transfer them to Android (from BBOS).

I'm presuming emails, pictures, videos, music, documents, and other such things are not an issue, right?

Going forward, if saving text messages are important, you'll want to use a third-party SMS app (maybe Textra?) that allows exporting and/or cloud storage. As you can see, a backup alone isn't necessarily enough to MOVE data through significant version changes and/or across platforms - the data either needs to be saved into an open format or needs to be used in an app that has support on all involved platforms.
    06-03-18 07:43 PM
    I remember the problems with transitioning from BBOS and BB10... it just wasn't that easy to do, and it was the same company. What worked best was to handle each "need" separately.

There was an app out there (PC based) that would pull the info from your Backups (weren't encrypted on BBOS). But it was around $20, which today seems cheap... but I didn't use it.

BlackBerry Content Transfer ought to work, but it has it's limits and it doesn't like a bunch of SMS messages.
    06-04-18 03:29 PM