I work in many courthouses that forbid cameras. I have an 8820 that I want to replace (too many problems to describe). I have AT&T plan but AT&T has no phones without cameras. Can I buy an unlocked phone and just switch the SIM card? Are there any unforeseen compications? I also have a memory card with dictionaries and glossaries. Will I be able to put it in the new phone and have it work?
    08-14-10 09:21 AM
    I work in many courthouses that forbid cameras. I have an 8820 that I want to replace (too many problems to describe). I have AT&T plan but AT&T has no phones without cameras. Can I buy an unlocked phone and just switch the SIM card? Are there any unforeseen compications? I also have a memory card with dictionaries and glossaries. Will I be able to put it in the new phone and have it work?
    you can buy and unlock almost any GSM phone that allows you to use a Sim card. Usually if the unlocking is done right, there shouldnt be complications. I have tmobile and before i switched to BB, when a new iPhone was out i would always unlock and use them, n they would work perfectly. it jus depends on who does it and how well they know what they're doing.
    And as long as the phone youre unlocking has media card slot i dont see why you wouldnt be able to use memory card. Just make sure the phone you're getting supports your type of memory card.

Hope that helps
    08-14-10 09:39 AM
    I can't speak to the dictionaries question, but you should not have any problems just putting the SIM in the newer phone, unless you intend to use features that were not provisioned on your plan before.
    08-14-10 09:39 AM
    i couldve sworn AT&T offered a Bold without a camera. i know Verizon offers Tours and Bolds without cameras.
    08-14-10 01:42 PM
    People do use the Verizon phones, once unlocked, on the AT&T network but I think there may be limitations on data speed? The 8830 comes without a camera as does the Tour (used, now) and the Bold 9650.
    08-14-10 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD