Really?! Its hard to tell what's what now days but I've heard rebuttal tech ppl say it's not a big deal. Besides, whats huawei doing that different then Google?
    There is absolutely NO proof anywhere that Huawei is spying on anyone. But I guess the potential is there and America is pretty much demanding that everyone support Apple and their own tech, or Ericksson or Nokia. I've got an older Huawei (P9) with Oreo and I like EMUI also by the way (for android, that is). Protectionism and paranoia may be behind most of the hype or maybe not.
    12-28-18 06:18 PM
    Really?! Its hard to tell what's what now days but I've heard rebuttal tech ppl say it's not a big deal. Besides, whats huawei doing that different then Google?
    I'd rather trust an American corrupt spyware company more than a communist corrupt spyware company I suppose? There is more accountability here at least. As for me, I absolutely limit my Google stuff as much as I can and use other means to message, email, and surf.
    12-28-18 06:22 PM
    There is absolutely NO proof anywhere that Huawei is spying on anyone. But I guess the potential is there and America is pretty much demanding that everyone support Apple and their own tech, or Ericksson or Nokia. I've got an older Huawei (P9) with Oreo and I like EMUI also by the way (for android, that is). Protectionism and paranoia may be behind most of the hype or maybe not.
    There is actually much proof and more speculative proof. Just be careful.
    12-28-18 06:23 PM
    I'd rather trust an American corrupt spyware company more than a communist corrupt spyware company I suppose? There is more accountability here at least. As for me, I absolutely limit my Google stuff as much as I can and use other means to message, email, and surf.
    whatever makes you sleep at night.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-28-18 06:25 PM
    There is actually much proof and more speculative proof. Just be careful.
    Can you give me a link please?
    12-28-18 06:26 PM
    GSM Arena and punch in your requirements to their find a phone search engine. Works great to narrow down the choice.
    Thanks!! Great website that I bookmarked. I put in my wish list and hit GO!!
    Guess what I got......0. 😂 😂

Think I have to be less specific.
    Last edited by OTCHRussell; 12-28-18 at 06:49 PM.
    12-28-18 06:36 PM
    Look at the Battery Test list. There are phones out there with good batteries.
    12-28-18 07:00 PM
    Very interesting!! Thanks.
    12-28-18 07:04 PM
    Depending how long you want to wait in 2019, you could give it some time and see if there will be a successor to the Motion. That is if you can would stick with BlackBerry android devices.
    My first choice would be to stick with BB. I'm patient and happy with the Motion for now.
    12-28-18 07:09 PM
    Thanks for the interesting and helpful discussion. The reason I've been on CB for 8 years!! 😊
    jamesharmeling and BigBadWulf like this.
    12-28-18 07:11 PM
    Can you give me a link please?
    A quick Google search and you'll see and read things that might make you question your next purchase of electronic web based stuff. I'm not being abrasive or an arsehole, just passing on what what I have read, have seen, and what I question. Cheers
    herbersh likes this.
    12-28-18 07:22 PM
    A quick Google search and you'll see and read things that might make you question your next purchase of electronic web based stuff. I'm not being abrasive or an arsehole, just passing on what what I have read, have seen, and what I question. Cheers
    Yeah there is lots of speculation and conjecture and suspicion and even entire enterprises (one in Great Britain even) dedicated to unearthing spyware chips but still no cigar. I still like to see ACTUAL proof and I haven't seen it yet. If I do, I will definitely reconsider my phone choice.
    12-28-18 07:51 PM
    Yeah there is lots of speculation and conjecture and suspicion and even entire enterprises (one in Great Britain even) dedicated to unearthing spyware chips but still no cigar. I still like to see ACTUAL proof and I haven't seen it yet. If I do, I will definitely reconsider my phone choice.
    Right! Proof from a rebuttal source, with real research. The problem is we don't have that. All we have is conjecture at this point.
    12-28-18 07:59 PM
    Additional info... don’t get Essential Phone ...........
    Byrese likes this.
    12-28-18 08:43 PM
    Rumours of a Pixel Lite in Spring 2019. If it's for real it will be an interesting new option for those who value security updates in a midrange device.
    This is why I bought my Pixel 2. 3 years of updates. It doesn't mitigate the "Google knows everything about me" aspect, but there are some workarounds for that.
    12-30-18 12:54 PM
    Rumours of a Pixel Lite in Spring 2019. If it's for real it will be an interesting new option for those who value security updates in a midrange device.
    That’s sound interesting. A competitive answer to iPhone XR if carriers offer...
    12-30-18 01:06 PM
    This is why I bought my Pixel 2. 3 years of updates. It doesn't mitigate the "Google knows everything about me" aspect, but there are some workarounds for that.
    It's all mostly hype anyway. People should try going into their Google account settings, as well as all the items they can voluntarily disable in the Android OS, and take a hard look at their social media habits, before they spread such ridiculous paranoia about Google "spying".

Google already gives people a lot of options for managing their data. The problem is most people can't be bothered, and Google is happy to stay quite about it so they can continue to have access to as much data as possible.
    12-30-18 01:18 PM
    That’s sound interesting. A competitive answer to iPhone XR if carriers offer...
    In the US that would probably translate to Verizon, if memory serves. But yes, if successful it would prove not only there is a market for a mid-ranger with regular security updates, but that the camera is a more important consideration than most people on this site give credit (for a phone that really has no reason to exist other than the most up to date Android OS and security patches).

And by the way, your XR is no slouch in the camera department either. Even among the best of the flagships.
    12-30-18 01:54 PM
    Lol, worried about spying when your own cellphone network sells your Data. I once worked in Digital Marketing and the sort of data you get in that field makes you realize just how much of your data you give up just by getting a SIM card.

I am happily using a Huawei Mate 20 Pro and thoroughly enjoying this beast. I was a long time Samsung and Apple user, I still use Apple for my laptop and tablet, but I am thoroughly impressed with this Mate 20 Pro battery life, my Samsungs were good but never this good, also UI just continues to be ridiculously fast and smooth, I can leave Bluetooth, GPS on (I use Waze for my daily 2hour drive to and from work) and have my screen at +60% Brightness all day with heavy usage and still get about 1.5-2days despite using Gmail, Exchange, WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube (1440P), a few phone calls and a whole of web browsing throughout the day as well as playing around with the versatile camera. After all this it takes about 1hour to charge from 0-100%, but I barely if ever get it down lower than 10%.

Overall if I am going to give up my data at least I am getting a smartphone that can handle my usage without breaking a sweat and then some.

I would happily recommend a Huawei Mate 20 Pro, OnePlus 6T or a Xiaomi Pocophone. A close friend of mine has a OnePlus 3T and it's an absolute beast well over a year after purchasing it.

These Chinese devices are brilliant.

P. S.

You spoke about accountability, please explain exactly what accountability when Facebook continues to break the rules through all of their apps (FB, Instagram and WhatsApp) and barely gets a scratch on them after going to court. There's a huge difference between accountability and putting on a show.
    12-31-18 03:49 AM
    Lol, worried about spying when your own cellphone network sells your Data. I once worked in Digital Marketing and the sort of data you get in that field makes you realize just how much of your data you give up just by getting a SIM card.

I am happily using a Huawei Mate 20 Pro and thoroughly enjoying this beast. I was a long time Samsung and Apple user, I still use Apple for my laptop and tablet, but I am thoroughly impressed with this Mate 20 Pro battery life, my Samsungs were good but never this good, also UI just continues to be ridiculously fast and smooth, I can leave Bluetooth, GPS on (I use Waze for my daily 2hour drive to and from work) and have my screen at +60% Brightness all day with heavy usage and still get about 1.5-2days despite using Gmail, Exchange, WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube (1440P), a few phone calls and a whole of web browsing throughout the day as well as playing around with the versatile camera. After all this it takes about 1hour to charge from 0-100%, but I barely if ever get it down lower than 10%.

Overall if I am going to give up my data at least I am getting a smartphone that can handle my usage without breaking a sweat and then some.

I would happily recommend a Huawei Mate 20 Pro, OnePlus 6T or a Xiaomi Pocophone. A close friend of mine has a OnePlus 3T and it's an absolute beast well over a year after purchasing it.

P. S.

You spoke about accountability, please explain exactly what accountability when Facebook continues to break the rules through all of their apps (FB, Instagram and WhatsApp) and barely gets a scratch on them after going to court. There's a huge difference between accountability and putting on a show.
    Simple message is that it’s acceptable to support private corporations in free world. Foolish to support communist nation state through its state controlled corporations unless you’re ok with living under the control of that government one day. Hypothetically, people can debate here all day long. Realistically, at some point, there’s a difference between supporting corporate and governments.
    12-31-18 05:14 AM

P. S.

What chuck said. Plus, at least here there can be justice and companies held accountable for breaching public trust. In China, not so much.
    12-31-18 05:45 AM
    Simple message is that it’s acceptable to support private corporations in free world. Foolish to support communist nation state through its state controlled corporations unless you’re ok with living under the control of that government one day. Hypothetically, people can debate here all day long. Realistically, at some point, there’s a difference between supporting corporate and governments.
    What chuck said. Plus, at least here there can be justice and companies held accountable for breaching public trust. In China, not so much.
    Both these posts got me laughing a bit, because you guys have now fully accepted that your Data is compromised and are trying to justify why it's fine for it to be compromised with the USA vs. China.

Aren't BlackBerrys being made by a Chinese company now??? A bit late now to worry about Gov. vs. Corporate control.

Huawei in China is not too different to what RIM was to Canada and Samsung is to South Korea.
    01-01-19 12:29 PM
    For now, I'll trust Canada and the USA more than I'd trust Red China. Yes, parts are made in China because labor and manufacturing is quite a bit cheaper there. Are you saying that it doesn't matter?
    01-01-19 12:33 PM
    Both these posts got me laughing a bit, because you guys have now fully accepted that your Data is compromised and are trying to justify why it's fine for it to be compromised with the USA vs. China.

Aren't BlackBerrys being made by a Chinese company now??? A bit late now to worry about Gov. vs. Corporate control.

Huawei in China is not too different to what RIM was to Canada and Samsung is to South Korea.
    Yeah, but I’m American living in the USA. I’m not afraid of my government and have more faith in my government than government of the country it treats as primary military enemy. I’m ok with USA government using whatever powers it has to shutdown nationstate infiltration. Also, I’ve got no problems with data mining and never have. I’m ok with all of it, for whatever is necessary to remain at top of the food chain, economic wise. I don’t want to live in a communist society.

I’m not sure what country you live, but if you think communism is okay, that’s hilarious. Meanwhile, let’s keep on topic...
    01-01-19 12:36 PM
    For now, I'll trust Canada and the USA more than I'd trust Red China. Yes, parts are made in China because labor and manufacturing is quite a bit cheaper there. Are you saying that it doesn't matter?
    Lol, no dude, TCL, the company that is making the current BlackBerry models is quite literally a China state owned enterprise.

You are already using a Chinese government owned device.
    Yeah, but I’m American living in the USA. I’m not afraid of my government and have more faith in my government than government of the country it treats as primary military enemy. I’m ok with USA government using whatever powers it has to shutdown nationstate infiltration. Also, I’ve got no problems with data mining and never have. I’m ok with all of it, for whatever is necessary to remain at top of the food chain, economic wise. I don’t want to live in a communist society.
    But you are using a device built by a Chinese state owned business, so I don't get what you are saying here.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Companies/TCL-Corp
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 01-01-19 at 01:14 PM.
    01-01-19 12:44 PM
139 1234 ...