Lol, no dude, TCL, the company that is making the current BlackBerry models is quite literally a China state owned enterprise.

You are already using a Chinese government owned device. But you are using a device built by a Chinese state owned business, so I don't get what you are saying here.
    Right now, all the data on infiltration points to different OEMs and I own those as well and no longer use those brands. I also no longer purchase Lenovo hardware or Motorola hardware. If something is proven about TCL and USA agencies recommend not using, I will no longer support or use. As of last device event, BB stated they load BBAndroid and system check.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-01-19 01:14 PM
    Right now, all the data on infiltration points to different OEMs and I own those as well and no longer use those brands. I also no longer purchase Lenovo hardware or Motorola hardware. If something is proven about TCL and USA agencies recommend not using, I will no longer support or use. As of last device event, BB stated they load BBAndroid and system check.
    Lol, you are now completely contradicting yourself, you said the below earlier:
    "Foolish to support communist nation state through its state controlled corporations unless you’re ok with living under the control of that government one day."

Yet here you are literally buying devices made by a Chinese state owned enterprise, and now making the excuse that BB load and Android and System Check.

As you were...
    01-01-19 01:20 PM
    Lol, you are now completely contradicting yourself, you said the below earlier:
    "Foolish to support communist nation state through its state controlled corporations unless you’re ok with living under the control of that government one day."

Yet here you are literally buying devices made by a Chinese state owned enterprise, and now making the excuse that BB load and Android and System Check.

As you were...
    I don’t believe TCL is state owned. Link?
    01-01-19 02:33 PM
    I don’t believe TCL is state owned. Link?
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Companies/TCL-Corp
    01-01-19 02:39 PM
    Thanks, I’ve found this kind of information but was then understanding that companies were divested from government and publicly traded with restrictive ownership share classes for any foreign shareholders.

Looks as if there’s now one more brand to watch. Ultimately, I’ll do same as I did with last two and wait for breaking news story as with Lenovo and the others. Pretty sure NSA is doing it's job. This still means I’ll have to look out for other devices since my iHardware now has probably been manufactured by some other state owned entity. One more reason to support current push to move the manufacturing elsewhere I guess. Still feel more comfortable not supporting the companies my government warns me against...

Ultimately, I support what’s in my and my country’s best interests. Winners and losers will always exist. Not everyone can be #1 and #2 is first place loser. I expect other nations to attempt for #1 and that’s just how it goes.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-01-19 02:50 PM
    Get an iPhone if you’re security conscious and value a bit of privacy. Choose the iPhone model that fits your budget. Even the older ones still get timely security updates
    01-01-19 03:10 PM
    Get an iPhone if you’re security conscious and value a bit of privacy. Choose the iPhone model that fits your budget. Even the older ones still get timely security updates
    LOL . That’s funny.. I’m dual carrying the extremes... BBMo KEYone with Apple iPhone....
    01-01-19 03:15 PM
    LOL . That’s funny.. I’m dual carrying the extremes... BBMo KEYone with Apple iPhone....
    Haha I used to carry a BB10 and an iPhone... until a couple years ago when I moved everything to the iPhone.

BB10 had a lots of ressemble to Android on the interface side... but security and privacy side, iPhone is much closer to BB10.
    01-01-19 04:37 PM
    As I said in the OP I've never REALLY considered an iPhone but the more privacy and security conscious I'm becoming the more I'm considering it. And yes, In the modern world there's only so much one can do on that front but for me I need to do something. If I can take "some" of my privacy back I'm doing it.

Great discussion
    01-01-19 05:17 PM
    Thanks, I’ve found this kind of information but was then understanding that companies were divested from government and publicly traded with restrictive ownership share classes for any foreign shareholders.

Looks as if there’s now one more brand to watch. Ultimately, I’ll do same as I did with last two and wait for breaking news story as with Lenovo and the others. Pretty sure NSA is doing it's job. This still means I’ll have to look out for other devices since my iHardware now has probably been manufactured by some other state owned entity. One more reason to support current push to move the manufacturing elsewhere I guess. Still feel more comfortable not supporting the companies my government warns me against...

Ultimately, I support what’s in my and my country’s best interests. Winners and losers will always exist. Not everyone can be #1 and #2 is first place loser. I expect other nations to attempt for #1 and that’s just how it goes.
    I thought you were all about being Proactive and not Reactivate around here, as that's the whole point of all your supposed "security concerns".

As I said in the OP I've never REALLY considered an iPhone but the more privacy and security conscious I'm becoming the more I'm considering it. And yes, In the modern world there's only so much one can do on that front but for me I need to do something. If I can take "some" of my privacy back I'm doing it.

Great discussion
    Apple will always be an interesting one, they have had their own headaches with servers being Hacked and customer data being stolen etc...
    https://bgr.com/2018/08/16/apple-ser...ive-data-year/
    01-02-19 01:38 AM
    I thought you were all about being Proactive and not Reactivate around here, as that's the whole point of all your supposed "security concerns".

Apple will always be an interesting one, they have had their own headaches with servers being Hacked and customer data being stolen etc...
    https://bgr.com/2018/08/16/apple-ser...ive-data-year/
    I can’t live without smartphones. My security concerns are handled by our country’s defenses. What other suggestions do you offer?
    01-02-19 07:41 AM
    I can’t live without smartphones. My security concerns are handled by our country’s defenses. What other suggestions do you offer?
    For the OP:
    - Huawei Mate 20 Pro
    - OnePlus 6T

For you:
    - IDK

You contradicted yourself multiple times.

Maybe something straight for the US Gov?
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    01-02-19 04:59 PM
    For the OP:
    - Huawei Mate 20 Pro
    - OnePlus 6T

For you:
    - IDK

You contradicted yourself multiple times.

Maybe something straight for the US Gov?
    Seems like IOS for now. The others aren’t supported here anyways
    01-02-19 08:29 PM
    Just replaced dead PRIV with Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4Gb 64Gb. Same basic hardware specs as Motion with larger screen in smaller body, UK £150 cheaper and new so 3 years support. Android One so no bloatware. Just updated to Pie. Loaded up with Hub and BlackBerry Apps. All works great, just like my PRIV.
    Also have an iPhone SE, latest ios - simply terrible. No comma on qwerty screen - how dumb is that!! Word suggestions and predictions truly awful compared to BlackBerry keyboard. Tried typing "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" into both phones. BlackBerry keyboard suggestions great, iPhone 3 words rubbish. iPhone not for serious work.
    Last edited by colinstone; 01-10-19 at 01:52 AM.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-10-19 12:57 AM
    Xiaomi and hauwei are not usable for work. Lots of company don't allow them. Pixel 2 here... still great. Updates all the time and even function/ feature updates still like nightsight and top shots. New at stickers (Playground). I am happy.
    01-10-19 02:21 AM
    Just replaced dead PRIV with Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4Gb 64Gb. Same basic hardware specs as Motion with larger screen in smaller body, UK £150 cheaper and new so 3 years support. Android One so no bloatware. Just updated to Pie. Loaded up with Hub and BlackBerry Apps. All works great, just like my PRIV.
    Also have an iPhone SE, latest ios - simply terrible. No comma on qwerty screen - how dumb is that!! Word suggestions and predictions truly awful compared to BlackBerry keyboard. Tried typing "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" into both phones. BlackBerry keyboard suggestions great, iPhone 3 words rubbish. iPhone not for serious work.
    You can also try to find a Typo QWERTY case for that iPhone SE. I have one
    01-10-19 08:42 AM
    You can also try to find a Typo QWERTY case for that iPhone SE. I have one
    Don't seem to be around anymore and at pushing $100 in 2014, not sure it is VFM to correct Apple shortcomings. And wasn't BlackBerry successful with an injunction after a while? Recall Samsung S7 keyboard case was £35 in UK.
    01-10-19 10:40 AM
    Don't seem to be around anymore and at pushing $100 in 2014, not sure it is VFM to correct Apple shortcomings. And wasn't BlackBerry successful with an injunction after a while? Recall Samsung S7 keyboard case was £35 in UK.
    I bought mine for like $65 on eBay back in February, it's a must have if you like PKB's and you have an iPhone 5 / 5S / SE

And yes it still works with the most recent versions of iOS, and actually works with any iPhone since it's bluetooth, but the case is obviously made to fit the models above.
    01-10-19 11:02 AM
    I bought mine for like $65 on eBay back in February, it's a must have if you like PKB's and you have an iPhone 5 / 5S / SE

And yes it still works with the most recent versions of iOS, and actually works with any iPhone since it's bluetooth, but the case is obviously made to fit the models above.
    I only got a 2 year old SE, £40, a couple of months ago to run a specific ski kit app. Ended up using it when PRIV packed up and while waiting for mobile insurance to pay out. Using it for a few weeks revealed its severe shortcomings compared with BlackBerry keyboard. So not inclined to spend more than I paid for the wretched thing. With insurance payout Black Friday Nov 16 PRIV only cost me £40 over 2 years!!
    01-10-19 11:23 AM
    I think the iPhone VKB is the best VKB around, blowing the Blackberry VKB out of the water. At least for actual typing.
    01-10-19 11:40 AM
    I think the iPhone VKB is the best VKB around, blowing the Blackberry VKB out of the water. At least for actual typing.
    I guess it's what you're used to but my wife has had iPhones since the 3G and now has the 7. And I can't stand any of the iPhone's vkb. I had the Z10 for 3 years and had to get the BlackBerry vkb loaded on my S8 when I got it. Felt like home again.
    Last edited by joeldf; 01-10-19 at 01:31 PM.
    01-10-19 12:13 PM
    Really?? Only 3 word suggestions and most of them wrong/ inappropriate for context. Over Christmas I typed Merry Christmas into the iPhone VKB and even after 3 or 4 times, the iPhone AI still hadn't twigged that the next word after Merry would likely be Christmas. Came up with all sorts of rubbish. BlackBerry keyboard got it in one!! And the comma escapade is completely weird. BlackBerry keyboard multiple clipboard is also fantastic.
    iPhone has some good apps - the health is fine. But email handling is atrocious compared to Hub.
    01-10-19 12:42 PM
    The last BB VKB I have to compare is the DTEK, with the XR I have. Sizewise, either of my DTEK are reasonable comparison with the new iPhone and it matches the BB VKB, however, not better. I will say that level that was achieved in BB VKB is pretty much the peak, maxed out version, for any VKB to match. The iPhone does achieve, in my opinion, the same theoretical maximum level, on same constant and consistent basis.
    mralgi likes this.
    01-10-19 12:48 PM
    Really?? Only 3 word suggestions and most of them wrong/ inappropriate for context. Over Christmas I typed Merry Christmas into the iPhone VKB and even after 3 or 4 times, the iPhone AI still hadn't twigged that the next word after Merry would likely be Christmas. Came up with all sorts of rubbish. BlackBerry keyboard got it in one!! And the comma escapade is completely weird. BlackBerry keyboard multiple clipboard is also fantastic.
    iPhone has some good apps - the health is fine. But email handling is atrocious compared to Hub.
    Yea, for sure. I’ve used them all extensively and prefer the iPhone VKB. Love the Key series PKBs too. I disable all word suggestions on my VKBs as well.
    01-10-19 02:06 PM
    I guess it's what you're used to but my wife has had iPhones since the 3G and now has the 7. And I can't stand any of the iPhone's vkb. I had the Z10 for 3 years and had to get the BlackBerry vkb loaded on my S8 when I got it. Felt like home again.

I did like typing on the Z10 a bit, but still not nearly as good as the iPhone’s. Again, just one opinion out of many.
    01-10-19 02:07 PM
139 12345 ...