Just got a curve 8900
    Dont have a data plan but DO have WIFI and so can use the browser

buut it wont let me set up email as it says 'your email can not be configured atm cus ur device is not connected to the wireless netowrk'
    but it onbviously is cus i can use the browser??
    can somebody please help!

also i cant send an MMS it just says failed each time?

thanks for helping in advance!
    08-08-09 08:00 AM
    You can't use push email without a data plan, you can check it through the browser. Don't know about MMS on O2 sorry
    08-08-09 08:23 AM
    then how come it says 'BECASE you are not connected to wifi'....
    08-08-09 08:28 AM
    Hmmm, to set up email you have to enter your carrier's (o2) Blackberry portal, which is also the BIS service.
    08-08-09 08:36 AM
    To get email as the Blackberry was designed to do you Must have a BB Data Plan... there are some 3rd party apps that can get emails from some email systems, but only when you request it.
    08-08-09 10:09 AM
    another one without a data plan what is this world coming too...j/k but seriously get a data plan
    08-08-09 03:06 PM
    lol sorry i cant afford a 35 a month contract im a student!

thanks for your answers people. Also just wanted to know that i knnow that there are some apps that require WIFI only, so does that mean i can actually get on app world? cus at the moment it says 'upgrade my service plan to discover a world of possibliltys etc...'
    so obviously i should be able to actually get on it in order to get the WIFI only apps right?
    08-08-09 05:31 PM
    The App World requires a data plan and so do most apps.
    08-08-09 05:33 PM
    then why is there loooads of people saying thers apps where only wifi is required??
    08-08-09 05:46 PM
    There are apps available that work with WiFi but most apps require a data plan.
    08-08-09 05:48 PM
    then how come it says 'BECASE you are not connected to wifi'....
    When it says 'wireless network', it isn't referring to WiFi, it's talking about your provider's wireless network, and specifically it's data network. You can't set up your e-mail to go to your device because the push e-mail on the Blackberrys is set up to have the e-mail go straight through to your phone any time of the day, regardless of whether or not you're connected to a WiFi network, which is why you need a data plan for that.
    As for accessing your e-mail online, when connected to WiFi, use the browser to navigate to whichever website your e-mail runs through (hotmail.com, etc.) and try logging in; this should work for most sites, but not every phone will be able to do this.
    Also, based on what I've heard and seen, Blackberrys don't support MMS (assuming you're talking about picture/video messaging) - instead, you have to send pictures and videos as an e-mail attachment.
    08-08-09 05:50 PM
    then why is there loooads of people saying thers apps where only wifi is required??
    You can download apps using OTA links too, as provided by CB, for example - you can get an app at the CB app store and have an OTA link sent to your phone via text, and then assuming you're connected to WiFi, your phone should be able to go to the provided address and download the app no problem.
    08-08-09 05:51 PM
    k thanks so with wifi i should be able to at least get into app world itself and then should be able to use some apps?
    08-08-09 05:51 PM
    k thanks so with wifi i should be able to at least get into app world itself and then should be able to use some apps?
    Dood, APP WORLD REQUIRES A DATA PLAN FOR IT TO WORK.
    08-08-09 05:55 PM
    ryyyt ok then.... *confsued*
    so the only way to get an app that requires wifi only is to do what lieman said:
    'You can download apps using OTA links too, as provided by CB, for example - you can get an app at the CB app store and have an OTA link sent to your phone via text, and then assuming you're connected to WiFi, your phone should be able to go to the provided address and download the app no problem.'

sorry im quite confused cus ive bin told that i cant go on app world without a data plan yet i can use certain apps that reuiqre wifi only...thanks
    08-08-09 06:27 PM
    ryyyt ok then.... *confsued*
    so the only way to get an app that requires wifi only is to do what lieman said:
    'You can download apps using OTA links too, as provided by CB, for example - you can get an app at the CB app store and have an OTA link sent to your phone via text, and then assuming you're connected to WiFi, your phone should be able to go to the provided address and download the app no problem.'

sorry im quite confused cus ive bin told that i cant go on app world without a data plan yet i can use certain apps that reuiqre wifi only...thanks
    Someone told you the wrong information. Again, THE APP WORLD REQUIRES A DATA PLAN. If you want to go the cheap route and not have a data plan then you need to put in the required time to find out which apps work without a data plan and then configure them to work on your device. You will need to download them directly from the source. App World is out of the question for you so just forget that it exists until you do get a data plan. There are many many threads discussing which apps work without a data plan so you need to do some searching on your own to find the information you are looking for.
    08-08-09 06:32 PM
    Just get a data plan lol, it'll solve ALL your problems :P

How much are you paying per month if you don't mind me asking?
    08-08-09 06:32 PM
    Thanks alot thats much clearer now
    Im not paying anything mate, i have it on pay as you go but have 300 free txts each 10 pound i top up so this does me fine.
    08-09-09 01:27 PM
    Just got a curve 8900
    Dont have a data plan but DO have WIFI and so can use the browser

buut it wont let me set up email as it says 'your email can not be configured atm cus ur device is not connected to the wireless netowrk'
    but it onbviously is cus i can use the browser??
    can somebody please help!

also i cant send an MMS it just says failed each time?

thanks for helping in advance!
    i had the same problem with my bold on the day i got it. i have no data plan nd tried setting up the email acount. u do need a data plan for it. but for the mms u can go into ur settings then click mobile network, then go to where it says data services and make sure it says on. it wont charge u the 30$ a month but it will let u send mms messages. hope that helps.
    09-18-09 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD