Hey guys,

Glad to be a member of the community. I've read lots of good information on this site!

I do have a questions about E-mail sync with a service that does not support Blackberry (I'll explain... but feel free to tell me where to direct the question. I did search, but I was not able to locate it... again, sorry if this was posted already)

My college, Wake Forest University, email service is run by Google. The end of my email ends in @wfu.edu, but its the Gmail interface, along with Google Calendar, etc. There are things that the account is limited to, such as no iGoogle hompage, no Buzz, limited themes... etc.

My personal Gmail account sync's perfectly. When I sync'd my Wake account to my BB, it gave me the message of "Action Required: Leave messages on the server" blah blah blah tell Outlook / Thunderbird to do this. I do not use Outlook or Thunderbird, and I do not want to for that matter. (But I could... read on)

When I got that message, I clicked on "Settings" on my Wake account and did some research. It clearly says that WFU email will not work on Blackberry. Naturally I was disappointed, and installed the "Gmail for Blackberry" app. That does work.

I do want my mail pushed, and not have to use the app. Therefore, my question is, knowing that I cannot sync my WFU account per the settings, if I set up an Outlook account, will I be able to receive mail?

Hopefully I can stop using the Gmail app, and hopefully someone has an answer for this!

Thanks, and don't be too hard on a first time poster
    06-15-10 11:14 PM
    No, if you start using Outlook, your emails will still only come to your outlook and to the Gmail app. Using Outlook would have no affect on your phone settings.

Oh, and welcome to CB.
    06-15-10 11:58 PM
    I'm going to move this thread to BB Discussion so more people will see it and hopefully answer your question. You might also need to speak with the IT department or Computer Services (or whatever they call it) at your school. I'm sure they have dealt with blackberries before and they may have some custom setups you can try.
    06-16-10 08:30 AM
    One solution is to set up your WFU account to redirect email to another email account that is pushed to your BB. You could use your BB carrier account.
    06-16-10 09:52 AM
    If you can set up your school email in Outlook, you should be able to set it up in BIS. You would need the server name, your user name and password. That information should be the same for Outlook or BIS.
    06-16-10 11:35 AM
    Read the Help section of your email account. Even though you don't use Thunderbird,
    the set up for your email on your BIS page will use the same email server name
    and port number.

My email account didn't have instructions to sync with Blackberry, so I just followed
    the instructions for Thunderbird, and it works perfectly. You will not get true
    push though, since you don't want to use the Gmail app.
    06-16-10 12:42 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I did look into this a little more.

@wnm: I know I can do that, but when I send mail it does not come up with my signature and sometimes it doesn't send under the same address. Plus, it leaves messages in my Indox on my computer as Unread... which annoys me a little.

@cavingjan: I have been trying to set up the Outlook account. Apparently it should be easier than the school is making it sound...

@TequilaAddict: I did read the Help section. This is all I have:

"Note: Gmail IMAP access is not officially supported for BlackBerry devices at this time.

To integrate Gmail with the BlackBerry's email client, just follow these steps:

On your BlackBerry device, navigate to your home screen
    Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called BlackBerry Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up)
    Follow the setup instructions provided on your device
    If setup is successful, you should receive a confirmation message and a new mailbox icon should appear on your device's home screen labeled with your Gmail address.

If you encounter a problem during setup, please make sure you have enabled IMAP in your Gmail settings."
    It doesn't work that well.

I will try Thunderbird later, but the help I'm receiving from the school isn't the best.
    06-16-10 06:25 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I did look into this a little more.

@wnm: I know I can do that, but when I send mail it does not come up with my signature and sometimes it doesn't send under the same address. Plus, it leaves messages in my Indox on my computer as Unread... which annoys me a little.

@cavingjan: I have been trying to set up the Outlook account. Apparently it should be easier than the school is making it sound...

@TequilaAddict: I did read the Help section. This is all I have:

It doesn't work that well.

I will try Thunderbird later, but the help I'm receiving from the school isn't the best.
    All I was trying to explain to you is that you don't need to set up a Thunderbird
    account, but the set up instructions for Thunderbird will give you the correct
    information, ***email server and port number***, that you can use
    on your BIS page to add your WFU.edu email to your phone.

So look at the Thunderbird instructions... otherwise, some else will have to
    try to help you.
    06-16-10 07:54 PM
    All I was trying to explain to you is that you don't need to set up a Thunderbird
    account, but the set up instructions for Thunderbird will give you the correct
    information, ***email server and port number***, that you can use
    on your BIS page to add your WFU.edu email to your phone.

So look at the Thunderbird instructions... otherwise, some else will have to
    try to help you.
    No no I do understand what you are saying! And I am sorry if that came off harsh in the last post - I meant to say that the help provided by Google Settings was not that helpful.

Your comment before was very helpful, really! I have been trying the Thunderbird settings, but the ports do not seem to work well.

I will email the school later asking if they can set up Thunderbird for me, since the online tips-and-tricks for setting up the account isn't working

Anyway, sorry if that came off a little harsh - I didn't mean anything by it!
    06-16-10 11:13 PM
    If you have the standard gmail interface for your email, just add a filter that redirects all your emails to the blackberry mail address
    06-17-10 02:07 PM
    There is a way you can do it just like you do your regular gmail. you just have to play around with the setting/ ask IT at school. i had two school account on mine, one ending in genesee.edu and one ending in rit.gmail.com...i dont have the .edu on there anymore as i recently graduated and transfer, or i would look up my settings, but they obviously wouldnt be same
    06-17-10 02:28 PM
    I have an edu account that is run by gmail as well. In order to use Outlook I had to set up a separate google password for my email. It is this same password I used to set my email up on my BB with POP or IMAP. When you talk to your IT people ask them about this. Or you may try using your full email address as the user name, your current password, and gmail.imap.com as the mail server.
    06-17-10 03:31 PM
    When you are in your WFU.edu account, can you enable IMAP?
    06-17-10 08:16 PM
    Try setting it up manually with these settings:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - requires SSL: imap.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 993
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587
    Account Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com) Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com
    Email Address: your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com) Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com
    Password: your Gmail password

I tried that with my .edu address before and it had worked. If that does not work, hopefully someone else can chime in.
    06-17-10 10:20 PM
    That sounds like the right stuff, Moe!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 10:30 PM
    I can set up IMAP in my Wake mail, which is what it has been set at.

The main problem is that Wake Forest gives all of its students the same laptop that is always connected to the servers back at Wake. Therefore, whenever I request to change the outgoing server in Outlook, it tells me I do not have the rights to chance that server. Right now the outgoing mail server is "mail.wfu.edu" in Outlook.

Forwarding messages to another account would not be a problem, but I would like to be able to reply to the messages from the original account it was sent to. (For example, if it was sent to my wfu.edu account, I would want the message sent from my blackberry to say it came from that wfu.edu account, not the vzw.blackberry.edu account)

Thanks for all the help everyone - it really has helped!
    06-17-10 11:06 PM
    You don't need to change anything in Outlook. You need to go to VZW BIS page... Then, add your Wake account using the info Moe gave you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 11:49 PM
    Did your school just switch over to using gmail? I go to Temple and the fall of my freshman year they switched to gmail so the email wouldnt work with my blackberry for a while until the server migration was over.
    06-20-10 04:17 PM
    Are you able to add your Wake Forest e-mail account on a non-Wake Forest laptop running Outlook?

I work at a Help Desk at a University that moved over to Google Apps for Education for e-mail for all incoming students. The big trick with this is allowing your WFU account to be synced with Google. Our system currently forces the user to go through our school's shibboleth server to login and authenticate into Google Mail.

When you go into your WFU account for webmail, do you login through the WFU interface? If this is the case, setting up Outlook or using any IMAP device may be disabled as you cannot properly authenticate through the university.

We currently do not have a solution for this. The Blackberry App does work but from what I have heard it goes through the web browser to authenticate. All of our users in the Google Apps system are unable to add IMAP accounts.

Easy workaround:
    1. Forward all of your WFU e-mail to another PERSONAL gmail account.
    2. Through the settings in Gmail, go to settings in top right of window. Select 'Accounts' tab and select 'Add another e-mail address you own'. This will enable you to send e-mails from your WFU account when you login to Gmail. Since you would be forwarding all of your e-mails from WFU, you might also want a way to view your e-mails on the web (and respond to professors with your @wfu.edu address). This will allow you to do it in the web browser. Be sure to leave a copy on the WFU servers.
    3. Add your Gmail account through Blackberry E-Mail Setup.

When you get a new e-mail, it will get pushed since it is forwarded through your account. You can delete them from there and if you want to respond use the Blackberry E-mail App.

I am a little perplexed though as you said you were receiving e-mails but it kept sending from your BB e-mail account. Were you finally able to add the WFU account? If this is true and you have somehow setup your WFU account, hit 'Forward' instead of Reply. You can change the Fw to Re if you like and it will allow you to 'select an account'

Note:
    After a little research it looks like your IMAP access is disabled. The only possible way to send would be from a Windows or Apple device that Google Sync supports synchronization for mail, or accessing it through the browser. Since passwords are stored on WFU servers and not Google's (really for your protection), you can't simply 'login' to your account that uses Gmail servers when there is no way to truly authenticate through WFU servers.
    [Can't post links yet but there is a FAQ that explains this]

The best contact would be the Help Desk at your school. I'm 100% positive with more and more students using Smart phones that they have run into this problem and can provide a better workaround.

You can call the Help Desk at 336.758.HELP, email through an form or their walk-in support at The Bridge on the main floor of the Z. Smith Reynolds Library.

You can find almost all of these answers from your school's website...
    06-20-10 04:51 PM
    Are you able to add your Wake Forest e-mail account on a non-Wake Forest laptop running Outlook?

I work at a Help Desk at a University that moved over to Google Apps for Education for e-mail for all incoming students. The big trick with this is allowing your WFU account to be synced with Google. Our system currently forces the user to go through our school's shibboleth server to login and authenticate into Google Mail.

When you go into your WFU account for webmail, do you login through the WFU interface? If this is the case, setting up Outlook or using any IMAP device may be disabled as you cannot properly authenticate through the university.

We currently do not have a solution for this. The Blackberry App does work but from what I have heard it goes through the web browser to authenticate. All of our users in the Google Apps system are unable to add IMAP accounts.

Easy workaround:
    1. Forward all of your WFU e-mail to another PERSONAL gmail account.
    2. Through the settings in Gmail, go to settings in top right of window. Select 'Accounts' tab and select 'Add another e-mail address you own'. This will enable you to send e-mails from your WFU account when you login to Gmail. Since you would be forwarding all of your e-mails from WFU, you might also want a way to view your e-mails on the web (and respond to professors with your @wfu.edu address). This will allow you to do it in the web browser. Be sure to leave a copy on the WFU servers.
    3. Add your Gmail account through Blackberry E-Mail Setup.

When you get a new e-mail, it will get pushed since it is forwarded through your account. You can delete them from there and if you want to respond use the Blackberry E-mail App.

I am a little perplexed though as you said you were receiving e-mails but it kept sending from your BB e-mail account. Were you finally able to add the WFU account? If this is true and you have somehow setup your WFU account, hit 'Forward' instead of Reply. You can change the Fw to Re if you like and it will allow you to 'select an account'

Note:
    After a little research it looks like your IMAP access is disabled. The only possible way to send would be from a Windows or Apple device that Google Sync supports synchronization for mail, or accessing it through the browser. Since passwords are stored on WFU servers and not Google's (really for your protection), you can't simply 'login' to your account that uses Gmail servers when there is no way to truly authenticate through WFU servers.
    [Can't post links yet but there is a FAQ that explains this]

The best contact would be the Help Desk at your school. I'm 100% positive with more and more students using Smart phones that they have run into this problem and can provide a better workaround.

You can call the Help Desk at 336.758.HELP, email through an form or their walk-in support at The Bridge on the main floor of the Z. Smith Reynolds Library.

You can find almost all of these answers from your school's website...
    Wow, that's for all the information! Yes I have tried calling the schooling and seeing if there was any work around. Really, there isn't yet which is annoying. I was hoping by going on here that there would be a trick that someone knew. I do not mind the GMail for Blackberry App, but I do not like refreshing to get my email.

Thanks for all your help, really. In the mean time I'm just forwarding all my email to another address. At least this way I know I got it the second I got it!

What is weird that is that I am running Google Sync on my blackberry for the Calendar, and it works. I use a Google calendar on my laptop, and everything I put on there comes up on my blackberry calendar. I'm really happy with that, since I put things like my homework in there, etc. I just wish the email would sync better!
    06-25-10 08:37 PM
    hey, i was having the same problem with wfu.edu.
    what you do is go into your phone settings under the email setup wizard and click edit. then go to advanced settings and where it says email server replace the pop.wfu.edu with imap.gmail.com then click the box for ssL and it should work like a charm!
    07-25-10 02:12 PM
    I'm new. How do you manually set up an account. NYU just migrated to Google and I'm having the same problem. I can go to setup and create a new account. I am limited in that I cannot type the nyu.edu after my user name and I have imap.gmail.com as the server. They don't match.
    05-26-11 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD