I am able to connect using the remote desktop application while I'm in the house and on the same router as my computer but have not been able to get it to work once I'm on a WiFi connection somewhere else.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    06-04-12 11:43 AM
    Do you have port forwarding setup on your Router at home?
    06-04-12 01:02 PM
    I have the same issue. Can someone help please. I would appreciate it.
    06-04-12 01:21 PM
    I have the same issue. Can someone help please. I would appreciate it.
    To be able to access "Internal" features on your LAN/Wifi at home from outside, you need to forward the specific ports for those features to be accessable from outside.

RDP uses port TCP 3389. So you'd put that in the "Internal Port" and "External Port" fields. Setup a static IP on the machine you want to RDP to. When you want to RDP to that machine, you use your Public IP address thats from your ISP. you can use What Is My IP - Shows Your IP Address to find that out. keep in mind that sometimes it may change, sometimes it'll stay the same.

Here's a link to the Linksys E4200 Emulator online to show you the "Port Forwarding" sample.

Single Port Forwarding

NOTE: please keep in mind that opening ports to "public" access could and will expose your LAN to possible attacks. Do/setup with caution and use password protection. Perform at your own risk

Hope that helps.
    Superfly_FR and ThePulseCheck like this.
    06-04-12 01:35 PM
    Thank you for responding. I haven't had chance to try it out yet but wanted you to know that I appreciate the time you took to respond!
    06-04-12 03:19 PM
    Thank you for responding. I haven't had chance to try it out yet but wanted you to know that I appreciate the time you took to respond!
    Anytime
    06-04-12 09:33 PM
    RDP uses port TCP 3389. So you'd put that in the "Internal Port" and "External Port" fields. Setup a static IP on the machine you want to RDP to. When you want to RDP to that machine, you use your Public IP address thats from your ISP. you can use What Is My IP - Shows Your IP Address to find that out. keep in mind that sometimes it may change, sometimes it'll stay the same.

NOTE: please keep in mind that opening ports to "public" access could and will expose your LAN to possible attacks. Do/setup with caution and use password protection. Perform at your own risk
    [once you've performed the very good tips given by bash_man]
    You can use a dynamic IP/URL provider like DynDns.com that will avoid that tou have to check what's your IP. Most modern routers includes this feature ; my Netgear router stores the parameter under network/DYNDNS entries. You must create a (free) account before setting this up on your router (but check first in your router what provider / type of URL are granted).
    Once you've done this, you will be able to access remotely your machine with an url like "mycompany.dyndns.org".

Also, please do not underestimate the Bash_man "Note" above.
    06-05-12 01:13 AM
    [once you've performed the very good tips given by bash_man]
    You can use a dynamic IP/URL provider like DynDns.com that will avoid that tou have to check what's your IP. Most modern routers includes this feature ; my Netgear router stores the parameter under network/DYNDNS entries. You must create a (free) account before setting this up on your router (but check first in your router what provider / type of URL are granted).
    Once you've done this, you will be able to access remotely your machine with an url like "mycompany.dyndns.org".

Also, please do not underestimate the Bash_man "Note" above.
    As I understand more and more ISPs are starting to block DynDns.com type access. reason is because it pretty much emulates a static IP. ISPs usually charge extra for a static IP, so dont be surprised if it doesnt work. but give it a try none the less.

Cheers
    06-05-12 08:46 AM
    Thanks to all for the help. I previosly tried the points mentioned above but still could not connect. I think i now know why. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Aguilucho; 06-05-12 at 11:18 PM.
    06-05-12 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD