Hi,

I am Canadian, currently I live in the US and soon will be relocating to Norway.

My wife currently uses a Bold 8800 from Sprint (locked) and I dont use a BB for work currently.

When we move to Norway, I want to buy myself an unlocked BB, probably a torch or similar, and then get my wife's Bold unlocked... that is to say IF I can use BB phones in Norway?

I don't know if BB is a supported model in Norway? I have briefly looked and I cant find a carrier that sells those units in Norway so I dont know if they will work over there?

Also I dont know enough about the torch or Bold to know if they have SIM card slots where I would be able to get a Norway SIM card to put in them?

Eventually I want to get a PB as well but dont know if they will be sold in Norway eventually or if it is worth me getting one here in US and taking with me?

Can ANYONE please help me out with these items?

Can the BB's be used in Norway? Can I get SIM cards for those models to work in Norway?

Thanks,

Chris
    05-26-11 10:19 AM
    You may have to get your wife a new phone as well. And you'll probably want to get a GSM model with a sim card for both phones. Other than that I don't see why you couldn't use it in Norway.
    05-26-11 11:11 AM
    As far as I could detaermine the carriers in Norway do NOT support BlackBerry. Strange as it may seem, they just don't, unless I'm not looking in the right place. I don't read Norwegian! BUT I did find the area where the phones were listed for the 3 major carriers, Telnor, NetCom, and Network Norway and, none of them have any BB models listed.
    05-26-11 11:53 AM
    Help! I need BlackBerry Internet Services in Norway - BlackBerry Forums Support Community

"Originally Posted by bebedidue View Post
    By the way, just got an email from TrigCom norway that they do provide no-contract Blackberry Internet Service for more flexible users."

"That's true, they do provide a no contract BIS alternative."
    05-26-11 11:59 AM
    I guess there is some prepaid **** going on.
    05-26-11 11:59 AM
    Thanks everyone for the answers.

Since I got these messages I checked TrigCom and they do have some models of BB, but not other Norway carriers. Also if you go to the Bb main site, you can use your country and choose Norway and they listed all the models with associated carriers for each model.

Oh, I was incorrect, my wife has a Curve, not a Bold. So I just need to find out if her model will work there and then if it is best for me to buy a BB model here in the US before I go over.

I will have to check that other thread out posted above to see if I can contact TrigCom to see if they can supply SIM cards for my wife's model and the model I want.
    05-26-11 12:44 PM
    Most likely TrigCom is a GSM carrier, although one of the other 3 carriers I found WAS a CDMA carrier, which is rare for Europe. Best to check directly with Trig first and find out what models they have.
    05-26-11 01:02 PM
    I can unlock blackberries and other gsm phones so they work with carriers world wide.
    Once your phone is unlocked you should be able to use it with any sim there.

As far as finding a service provider over there who supplies blackberry services I can't help you but sprint has a really good deal on overseas data. Its .002 cents per kb so thts like 1.8 cents per 100 bbms (were each bbm is 9kb) obviously txts calls and pictures would be a lot more, but if your just going to use it for bbm and data then I believe those are the rates.

Leme know if there's anyway I can help you.
    PM is best if interested in unlocking a bb or phone.

Best of Luck,
    Jack

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 08:10 PM
    Ok,

So I believe TrigCom has merged with another carrier and I think they still offer BB packages.

Here is my updated questions now.

My wife has a Curve 8530 and I want to get a Torch (current model on sale now).

I have looked at the back of my wife's phone and can not see a SIM card slot. Can the Curve 8530 be used in Europe and does it have a SIM card (the tiny or regular sized ones) so another carrier can supply a new SIM so we can use it (once it is unlocked).

If I buy the Torch currently, this can work in Europe, correct. I need to be 100% sure as if it does not work when I get there, I am out a lot of cash!

Thanks
    07-09-11 05:15 PM
    The Curve 8530 does not have a sim card slot so it can not be unlocked for world wide use. The only option you have with this phone is to contact your carrier and ask how much it would cost you per minute/kb/etc if you where to use it in europe. I would imagine it cant be to expensive on data usage but it may be costly on minutes. Sprints rate is usually .002 cents per kb but dont quote me on that.

As for the Torch you shouldnt have a problem using it in Europe with a sim card from a local carrier there. You will have to get your phone unlocked before you get to europe otherwise your phone will not recognize your sim card.

Please contact me via PM for details on unlocking. It is cheap and very easy.

Best of Luck.
    07-09-11 09:12 PM
    The Curve 8530 does not have a sim card slot so it can not be unlocked for world wide use. The only option you have with this phone is to contact your carrier and ask how much it would cost you per minute/kb/etc if you where to use it in europe. I would imagine it cant be to expensive on data usage but it may be costly on minutes. Sprints rate is usually .002 cents per kb but dont quote me on that.

As for the Torch you shouldnt have a problem using it in Europe with a sim card from a local carrier there. You will have to get your phone unlocked before you get to europe otherwise your phone will not recognize your sim card.

Please contact me via PM for details on unlocking. It is cheap and very easy.

Best of Luck.
    Well that kinda sucks wookie

Now I need to get 2 phones instead of just 1. My wife does not like the Torch so it will be another model. What other models of the RIM North American lineup can be unlocked and used in Europe?

Even buying 2 phones in North America is cheaper than 1 phone in Norway.

If you can let me know the options that would be the best.

Thanks
    07-09-11 10:31 PM
    Well any blackberry with a sim card will work for u so basically the blackberry Tour, torch, bold, 8830 (I believe double check on that.), 8820(att and tmobiles)

Those are the few I remember off the top of my head. Basically any phone from att and tmobile and a few from verizon and sprint such as the 9630 tour 9650 bold and 88xx series which where sprint and verizons first world phones. I may have missed 1 or 2...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD