lugman, I love how the original subject took a left turn and the argument goes on! I find it extremely entertaining. Thanks for the support. You too genomos!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 11:26 AM
    then try to tether without BIS/BES and see what happens. Obviously you can't because you won't have service. So tether may not be dependent on your BIS/BES but your data plan is. On a bb it will still effect your ability to Tether.
    Tether uses APN, not BIS/BES. Just because my Blackberry has a Blackberry data plan doesn't mean everything goes through RIM's BIS. Tether uses APN, I've got BeWeather setup to use Direct/TCP which uses *gasp* APN. I've also got Scoreboard Mobile setup to use Direct/TCP as well. None of that traffic hits the BIS, ever.

All a "BlackBerry Data Plan" means is your carrier pays some of that fee and pays it to RIM for support/connectivity to RIM's services. It has nothing to do with how traffic is routed.

Wow, someone didn't research how 3g works. Look it up, and while you're at it drop by Tether's website and look on the home page where it says specifically "your BlackBerry smartphone data plan".
    Go reread my post, and find out where that information came from. I'll give you a hint, Tether is in it somewhere.

10-30-10 11:41 AM
    lugman, I love how the original subject took a left turn and the argument goes on! I find it extremely entertaining. Thanks for the support. You too genomos!

No problem. Well I tried to stop it from going on but couldn't lol so I figured since my problem has been solved I might as well jump in :P

Tether uses APN, not BIS/BES. Just because my Blackberry has a Blackberry data plan doesn't mean everything goes through RIM's BIS. Tether uses APN, I've got BeWeather setup to use Direct/TCP which uses *gasp* APN. I've also got Scoreboard Mobile setup to use Direct/TCP as well. None of that traffic hits the BIS, ever.
    Try turning off your data services and see what happens with the Direct/TCP connection. i'll give u a hint, you'll notice the scores won't update on theScore Mobile (if that's what u were referring to).

10-30-10 12:41 PM

I do what I can, entertainment is a by-product. I prefer not to let anyone read misinformation and get the wrong idea, if this makes anyone's day then it's a bonus.

All a "BlackBerry Data Plan" means is your carrier pays some of that fee and pays it to RIM for support/connectivity to RIM's services. It has nothing to do with how traffic is routed.

Go reread my post, and find out where that information came from. I'll give you a hint, Tether is in it somewhere.

I did read your post. I also noticed you mentioned Tether. Apparently you didn't research anything before posting. Let me Google that for you. If you still think Tether works without a data plan from a carrier, then you know something the rest of us don't. Since Tether is currently a BlackBerry-specific app with an Android version in the works, that would pretty much spell out "BlackBerry smartphone data plan". Have I made sense yet?
    10-30-10 03:07 PM
    I love how the two of you have changed your arguements to data plan instead of BIS/BES.

10-30-10 03:48 PM
    I love how the two of you have changed your arguements to data plan instead of BIS/BES.

Didn't change anything. A BlackBerry data plan is either BIS or BES, depending on whether you have a personal (BIS) or corporate (BES) plan. Do you read at all?
    10-30-10 03:50 PM
    Any data plan on a " blackberry" would be one or the other. Give it a rest Haji.
    Go help Johnny find Bandit. Sorry, couldn't resist! and Dr. Quest wants his Blackberry back!

Last edited by albee 1; 10-30-10 at 05:35 PM.
    10-30-10 05:10 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD