I can't seem to fix this tether issue I seem to be having!! i'm currently using DM6 and whenever I try to connect I get an error message saying "Failed to initialize mobile connection" or something like that. And i'm sure its because of the setting which seems to be completely empty including the dropbox where you select your carrier. I've also attempted to enter the info manually but all the fields were greyed out. I've called my carrier Fido too and they told me to contact RIM since they don't troubleshoot non fido phone which is bogus, but of cause I didn't want to spend $50 for help which should've been getting forfree since i'm their customer!!!. Oh yeah I've also tried removing DM6 completely and reinstalling it with no luck. And yes it is the official version not the leaked just to get that out of the way. So since all those methods have failed, I was left with one more thing which was to setup a dialup connection. Tried everything from manually adding the Standard Modem to setting up the dialup connection which failed, again. And now, after giving up on hours of attempts of different solutions, i'm left with my most reliable and trusted resort which is getting help from the website, more like a community, that has been solving all my issues ever since I've got my BB (this which is my first) andriodcentral.com, Just kidding of cause Crackberry.com lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 10-28-10 at 10:49 PM.
    10-28-10 10:42 PM
    I can't seem to fix this tether issue I seem to be having!! i'm currently using DM6 and whenever I try to connect I get an error message saying "Failed to initialize mobile connection" or something like that. And i'm sure its because of the setting which seems to be completely empty including the dropbox where you select your carrier. I've also attempted to enter the info manually but all the fields were greyed out. I've called my carrier Fido too and they told me to contact RIM since they don't troubleshoot non fido phone which is bogus, but of cause I didn't want to spend $50 for help which should've been getting forfree since i'm their customer!!!. Oh yeah I've also tried removing DM6 completely and reinstalling it with no luck. And yes it is the official version not the leaked just to get that out of the way. So since all those methods have failed, I was left with one more thing which was to setup a dialup connection. Tried everything from manually adding the Standard Modem to setting up the dialup connection which failed, again. And now, after giving up on hours of attempts of different solutions, i'm left with my most reliable and trusted resort which is getting help from the website, more like a community, that has been solving all my issues ever since I've got my BB (this which is my first) andriodcentral.com, Just kidding of cause Crackberry.com lol.

Have you tried Tether (the app)? I don't have it myself but it seems pretty straightforward.
    10-29-10 12:16 AM
    Tether works like a charm

1. plug phone in using usb
    2. start tether on phone
    3. start tether on pc
    4. enjoy
    5. limit thy downloads, don't want the man hitting u with massive bill
    10-29-10 12:37 AM
    I would recommend Tether as well, was a joy to use.

10-29-10 05:12 AM
    How fast is the speed? Currently the DM method is 115kps. Is it faster? And yes I was aware of that app but its too expensive considering I have wifi internet at home and school so wouldn't really do much for me. I just wanted to know that feature is working for me so when I go on road trips I would know I have internet with me 24/7. I know I have that feature on my account with the 6GB I also have so I would like it to be working and plus it is free right :P

10-29-10 06:37 AM
    Tether connects on my bb @ 5mbs.

10-29-10 09:20 AM

***EDIT*** oh one more this I forgot to add, cannot connect through bluetooth either. So no tether is working for me now. This started happening when I updated to the official DM6 from the Leaked version.

10-29-10 11:32 AM
    Tether connects on my bb @ 5mbs.

it seems very unlikely that you have those speeds on a blackberry because there is no blackberry thats capable of downloading at those speeds.

CDMA doesnt support anything over like 2 mbps, and GSM has HSDPA which ive had go at around 5mbps but no blackberry has that connectivity.

typical speeds using tether on my blackberry 9700 through bluetooth were around 1-1.5 mbps. USB is typically faster but not by much.

Anyway, it wont go 5mbps.

Also it depends on if you have a model capable of 3g speeds, as the older curve will only go at aroubd 115kbps as you said.
    10-29-10 12:48 PM
    it seems very unlikely that you have those speeds on a blackberry because there is no blackberry thats capable of downloading at those speeds.

CDMA doesnt support anything over like 2 mbps, and GSM has HSDPA which ive had go at around 5mbps but no blackberry has that connectivity.

typical speeds using tether on my blackberry 9700 through bluetooth were around 1-1.5 mbps. USB is typically faster but not by much.

Also it depends on if you have a model capable of 3g speeds, as the older curve will only go at aroubd 115kbps as you said.
    Never stated it would Download @ 5mbs. I said it connects @ 5mbs. With our bb's everything is filtered through RIM severs and security. Next time do some research. Google Tether and read the specs.

10-29-10 01:01 PM
    Never stated it would Download @ 5mbs. I said it connects @ 5mbs. With our bb's everything is filtered through RIM severs and security. Next time do some research. Google tether and read the specs.

Albee is correct, connection speed is not the same as download speed. My network is connected at 54mb/s but I can't download any faster than 12mb/s. Download speed is determined by network, will always be less than connection speed.
    10-29-10 01:05 PM
    Never stated it would Download @ 5mbs. I said it connects @ 5mbs. With our bb's everything is filtered through RIM severs and security. Next time do some research. Google Tether and read the specs.

i use tether and no where does it say my "connection" speed is 5mbps. I dont know how you're getting this number.

Also the word connection speed and download speed can be interchanged so therefore my mistake for misunderstanding you.

Finally, RIM servers do NOT filter tether traffic, as far as I know tether uses TCP rather than BIS/BES.

You do your research

I love how you attack me about what I say, but me making claims my internet connects at 100mbps when I have 3mbps verizon DSL is ridiculous.
    10-29-10 02:00 PM
    Dude, do you always come here looking to vent your anger on some one? Sounds like you need something more than what this site has to offer. If you think that was an attack you need help.
    Take your meds and lay off the coffee!

Last edited by albee 1; 10-29-10 at 02:09 PM.
    10-29-10 02:07 PM
    i use tether and no where does it say my "connection" speed is 5mbps. I dont know how you're getting this number.

Also the word connection speed and download speed can be interchanged so therefore my mistake for misunderstanding you.

Finally, RIM servers do NOT filter tether traffic, as far as I know tether uses TCP rather than BIS/BES.

You do your research

I love how you attack me about what I say, but me making claims my internet connects at 100mbps when I have 3mbps verizon DSL is ridiculous.
    Tether uses your device's connection, which is BIS/BES depending. And while you may have 3mb with Verizon, you will still connect at whatever speed your connections determine. WAN to modem is what the ISP determines, behind the modem the hardware determines. So you can be connected at 54mb and higher but still only get a trickle.
    10-29-10 02:15 PM
    Taken from EVDOinfo.com

EVDOinfo.com

EVDO Forums

EVDO Maps

EVDO Blog

3G Store

Tethering (AKA Phone-as-Modem): Get the Facts!

User Rating:?????*/*24
    Poor?????Best*?

Thursday, 26 March 2009

Tethering (AKA Phone-as-Modem): Get the Facts!

By now, most people are familiar with the concept of mobile broadband, but did you know that many phones and PDAs can be used as mobile broadband modems? A dedicated USB, ExpressCard, or PCMCIA card modem is the perfect solution for many people, including frequent travelers or folks without access to fixed-line broadband like DSL or cable, but there are many people who could benefit from occassional EVDO access but don't want to be contracted to pay $59.99/month. For backup, temporary, or occassional mobile broadband needs, tethering is the perfect solution!

Tethering, which is also referred to as "Phone-as-Modem", refers to using your cell phone as a 3G modem by connecting it to your computer via USB or Bluetooth (some phones can even be tethered to routers, allowing you to share the connection with multiple computers). With a tether-capable phone and the appropriate Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T plan, you can avoid having another device with its own costly monthly bill and enjoy the freedom of mobile broadband wherever you take your phone.

There are many things to consider when deciding if tethering will work for you. Let's examine the costs, equipment, performance, pro's and con's:

Which phones are tether-capable?
    Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T offer many phones that can be used as a modem. You can view a full list of past and present tether-capable AT&T phones by clicking here, and Verizon maintains a list of past and present tether-capable devices on the VZAccess Manager website (Sprint unfortunately does not have a comprehensive list of all their tether-capable devices available online). Remember that even if a phone is data-capable (meaning you can access the web or email on the phone), it may not be tether-capable, so it's important to check the features on the phone you're interested in if you plan to use your phone for tethering.

Sprint Below are the currently available tether-capable phones from Sprint (if you have an OLDER phone and are not sure if it is tether capable, you can consult your phone's user manual [look for "phone as modem" or "tethering"], contact Sprint, search the EVDO Forums, or contact 3Gstore):

Blackberry Tour 9630**

Blackberry Curve 8530

Blackberry Pearl

Palm Treo PRO (850)*

HTC Snap*

HTC Touch Pro 2*

HTC Touch Diamond*

LG Lotus*

LG Lotus Elite

* - This phone is EVDO Rev-A capable

Important note about tethering with Sprint: Effective 4/10/2010, Sprint no longer allows customers with individual-liable accounts (accounts set up with a social security number) to use the tethering feature - only business customers whose accounts were set up with a federal tax ID can use Sprint's tethering feature. Click here to read more .

Verizon: Verizon maintains a full list of all of their past and present tether-capable devices on their website. You can view the list via this link:*VZAccess Manager website.*

AT&T: AT&T maintains a full list of all of their past and present tether-capable devices on their website. You can view the list via this link: AT&T Tether-Capable Phones.

How much does tethering cost?

Tethering incurs an extra fee and is NOT included in the cost of data packages that you can add in order to access web and email on your phone (for example, if you have a Blackberry and are paying for web and email access, that fee does not include tethering). However, unlike a dedicated mobile broadband device, you are NOT contracted to pay for the tethering feature each month - you can turn the feature on and off as needed and the monthly fee is pro-rated if you only use it for a partial month. Below are the costs for tethering with Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T:

Sprint:

Tethering fee: $15/month (plus you must have data pack - see next bullet point)

Requirements: Compatible phone AND Sprint Power Vision data pack ($30/month) or Blackberry data pack ($30/month)

Restrictions: CANNOT be added to the "Simply Everything" or "Everything" plans; cannot be added by individual-liable accounts (read more here)

Verizon:

Tethering fee:

With standard (non-PDA) phone: $49.99/mo

With PDA/Blackberry and $29.99/mo data pack: $30/mo

With PDA/Blackberry and $44.99/mo data pack: $15/mo

Requirements: Compatible phone

Restrictions: None

AT&T:

Tethering fee:

With standard (non-PDA) phone: $60/mo for 5GB; $40/mo for 200MB; $20/mo for 10MB (keep in mind that 200MB is hardly any data at all, and 10MB is virtually nothing - we DO NOT recommend these plans!)

With PDA/Blackberry and $30/mo data pack: $30/mo

Requirements: Compatible phone

Restrictions: None

Can a tethered phone provide the same speeds as a dedicated EVDO/HSPA device?
    Verizon/Sprint and AT&T use different technology for their mobile broadband. For Verizon and Sprint phones, the performance a tethered phone is able to provide depends largely on whether the phone is EVDO Rev-A capable. Rev-A is the updated EVDO network that is capable of delivering faster download and upload speeds than the original EVDO network. While all of the currently available EVDO modems from Sprint and Verizon are Rev-A, most phones/PDAs are only capable of connecting at EVDO Rev-0 speeds - even if you're in a Rev-A-covered location. The difference between EVDO Rev-A and Rev-0 is substantial. With an EVDO Rev-0 phone, the speeds will be in the range of 400kbps-700kbps download (bursts up to 2.0Mbps), 50kbps-100kbps Upload (bursts to 144Kbps). This is fine for checking your email or casual web browsing, but heavier users will prefer Rev-A. If you know that you will be using your Sprint or Verizon phone for tethering regularly, we highly recommend selecting one of the available Rev-A . With a Rev-A phone from Sprint/Verizon, you can experience the same speeds you'd see with a dedicated modem - 600Kbps-1,400Kbps download (with bursts to 2.0Mbps) and 500Kbps-800Kbps upload (with bursts to 1.8Mbps). Below is a sample of the speeds we saw when tethering Verizon's LG Dare (which is Rev-A) to a Mac.

10-29-10 02:20 PM
    Tether uses your device's connection, which is BIS/BES depending. And while you may have 3mb with Verizon, you will still connect at whatever speed your connections determine. WAN to modem is what the ISP determines, behind the modem the hardware determines. So you can be connected at 54mb and higher but still only get a trickle.
    Thank you genomos for clearing that up for the angry non-believers.

10-29-10 02:25 PM
    Wow can u guys stop this it really doesn't matter as long as u both have a fast connection. I started this thread so I can get help solving my issue and clearly your arguements aren't helping. Not trying to be rude or selfish but let's get back to context here. Sorry if anyone thought I was being an a-s-s that's not my intention. So I hope I get this problem solved with your help of course.

10-29-10 03:49 PM
    Wow can u guys stop this it really doesn't matter as long as u both have a fast connection. I started this thread so I can get help solving my issue and clearly your arguements aren't helping. Not trying to be rude or selfish but let's get back to context here. Sorry if anyone thought I was being an a-s-s that's not my intention. So I hope I get this problem solved with your help of course.

Just use tether, its very simple and ive got no problems with it at all.

as for me being a "non believer", sure, you're right. Tether uses your BiS data, thats why when you load a website with tether, you get a page which is 90% compressed. Amirite?
    10-29-10 04:02 PM
    Never mind it worked now. I guess they were doing a network update as the MMS service started working this morning for non Fido phones. Sad they couldn't tell me that themselves instead of figuring it out my self but I guess its a fair deal since they enabled the MMS service for me

10-29-10 04:22 PM
    Just use tether, its very simple and ive got no problems with it at all.

as for me being a "non believer", sure, you're right. Tether uses your BiS data, thats why when you load a website with tether, you get a page which is 90% compressed. Amirite?
    Tether uses your BlackBerry smartphone's data plan, straight from the website. Translate that as you will.

Never mind it worked now. I guess they were doing a network update as the MMS service started working this morning for non Fido phones. Sad they couldn't tell me that themselves instead of figuring it out my self but I guess its a fair deal since they enabled the MMS service for me

Glad you got it working! I do agree with xgm that Tether would be a better option, there's only a one-time charge for the app purchase as opposed to a monthly fee.
    10-29-10 04:33 PM
    Glad you got it working! I do agree with xgm that Tether would be a better option, there's only a one-time charge for the app purchase as opposed to a monthly fee.
    I know its a better option but since I find wifi everywhere I go ie. School, work, ect. so I thought it wouldn't be useful to me. Btw in Canada tether is included in ur data plan if u have 1GB and up not sure in the states though. So since I have 6GB of data or a limited amount of data, i'm kind of paranoid about going over my limit when tethering. So not sure whether to get tether or not yet, i'll have to see how often I need it first.

Last edited by luqman24; 10-29-10 at 07:02 PM.
    10-29-10 06:59 PM
    I know its a better option but since I find wifi everywhere I go ie. School, work, ect. so I thought it wouldn't be useful to me. Btw in Canada tether is included in ur data plan if u have 1GB and up not sure in the states though. So since I have 6GB of data or a limited amount of data, i'm kind of paranoid about going over my limit when tethering. So not sure whether to get tether or not yet, i'll have to see how often I need it first.

I'd be paying an extra fee even though I have unlimited data, that's where Tether has an advantage - one time purchase cost.
    10-29-10 07:34 PM
    With our bb's everything is filtered through RIM severs and security. Next time do some research.
    This statement is 100% wrong. You obviously didn't do any research at all when you made this claim.

Tether uses your BlackBerry smartphone's data plan, straight from the website. Translate that as you will.
    Taken from Tether's log file on my 9700:

Tether v1.4.4.0
    Connecting via Bluetooth
    First connection
    Trying Carrier Specific APN - MCC: 310 MNC: 410
    Registration validation started
    Tether is Registered.
    Successful (XX.XX.XX.XX)
    Trying UDP
    Trying UDP with Tether APN on local port 4779
    UDP connection Successful with APN
    Waiting for Bluetooth Connection
    Also, from the request help e-mail:
    If you are seeing an error for 'No Available Port', this means you need to set the correct APN and make sure all permissions have been granted to Tether on your BlackBerry device. Check out this list of all available APNs: http://tether.com/apn-settings

Please note, some carriers may charge extra for using their APN.
    Translated.

Tether does not use BIS/BES for it's connection.

Last edited by MayorHaji; 10-30-10 at 10:11 AM.
    10-30-10 09:55 AM
    then try to tether without BIS/BES and see what happens. Obviously you can't because you won't have service. So tether may not be dependent on your BIS/BES but your data plan is. On a bb it will still effect your ability to Tether.

Last edited by albee 1; 10-30-10 at 11:01 AM.
    10-30-10 10:47 AM
    This statement is 100% wrong. You obviously didn't do any research at all when you made this claim.

Taken from Tether's log file on my 9700:

Also, from the request help e-mail:

Translated.

Tether does not use BIS/BES for it's connection.

Wow, someone didn't research how 3g works. Look it up, and while you're at it drop by Tether's website and look on the home page where it says specifically "your BlackBerry smartphone data plan".
    10-30-10 11:09 AM
    then try to tether without BIS/BES and see what happens. Obviously you can't because you won't have service. So tether may not be dependent on your BIS/BES but your data plan is. On a bb it will still effect your ability to Tether.

This makes perfect sense. Its like saying I want to cancel my data plan but still want to tether. CS Rep will be like "uuuuh that isn't possible because you will need a data plan to tether and that's where the internet connection will come from" which will make u look like a noob.

10-30-10 11:14 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD