Hey all,

I know there is probably a more appropriate thread for this question, but I'm in need of a response quicker than I'd receive one somewhere else.

I just switched from AT&T to Verizon when I got my 8330. I had Verizon switch my number over in store and thus closed my AT&T account. I'd been with AT&T for years and only switched to Verizon because the huge corporate conglomorate I work for offers a huge discount with Verizon. I had just 8 months left on my two-year deal with them.

My last AT&T bill now includes the $175 fee.

Can anybody recommend anything I can say to my AT&T rep when I call to address this. I realize the chances of having them alleviate the entire $175 are basically zero and I'd be content if that at least pro-rated the fee down to the 8 months I had left on my deal.

Any suggestions?
    07-18-08 04:58 PM
    They're not going to help you with it. You knew when you signed the contract there was a $175 ETF. Just sell your AT&T phone and try to cover most of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-08 05:02 PM
    the only legit way for att to let you out is if you leave the country, where they do not provide service.
    07-18-08 05:09 PM
    the only legit way for att to let you out is if you leave the country, where they do not provide service.
    Well if a certain presidential candidate who shall remain nameless but who's name does rhyme with McClain wins in November, I may find myself using that legitimate excuse.
    07-18-08 05:12 PM
    Well if a certain presidential candidate who shall remain nameless but who's name does rhyme with McClain wins in November, I may find myself using that legitimate excuse.
    Ditto!

You could do this....but don't: Go on ATT website. Do the coverage search. Find an area where there is no coverage. Find an address there and tell them you moved there.
    07-18-08 07:01 PM
    He-larry-us lol
    07-18-08 07:03 PM
    Ditto!

You could do this....but don't: Go on ATT website. Do the coverage search. Find an area where there is no coverage. Find an address there and tell them you moved there.
    cell phone carriers have found out this loophole. Doesn't work anymore. They require a bill in your name at that address as proof of moving because so many people were getting out of contracts this way.

You knew there was an ETF, just sell the old phone to cover it. I just switch from vzw to att and i am selling my berry to cover the etf.
    07-18-08 07:09 PM
    Life is soooo unfair. You sign a contract and people actually expect you to live up to it and pay what you agreed! The nerve! I mean, why should you have to pay what you agreed?
    07-18-08 07:22 PM
    Well you can try telling them you dying!! I dont wish bad on you. But I'm just saying.....
    07-18-08 07:27 PM
    Consider the HUGE corp discount you'll get from your Company as paying for the ETF.

07-18-08 07:40 PM
    I thought that they have to reduce the fee for the months you used in your contract?? If not, then im sh*t outta luck too cuz I had from Verizon to AT&T and I gotta cancel my contract! Hopefully my friend will buy it off of me!
    Last edited by GrkBMWQT; 07-18-08 at 07:45 PM.
    07-18-08 07:42 PM
    The mistake was the line transfer.

I had a family member do the same thing. I tried to tell her to get a new number with the new company but she didn't listen. She had 15 days left on her contract had got hit with the same thing. Tried to offer to pay for the full month but since the transfer went thru she was "stapled".

So what kind of phone ya got for sale?
    07-18-08 07:49 PM
    Hey, so wait, I got a new # and didnt do a line transfer? So what does that change??
    07-18-08 07:52 PM
    Hey, so wait, I got a new # and didnt do a line transfer? So what does that change??
    Don't cancel the contract!

figure out if it is cheaper to keep both accounts open or take the hit on the contract.
    07-18-08 07:58 PM
    Yea been tryin to figure that out but its not.....but my friend said he would most likely buy my contract from me, if I let him buy both my LG VX cells for 20$....I just gotta talk to Verizon about it! Been putting it off! Really not looking forward to the headache!
    07-18-08 08:03 PM
    Its really not that difficult to do a transfer of liability.

07-18-08 08:24 PM
    Life is soooo unfair. You sign a contract and people actually expect you to live up to it and pay what you agreed! The nerve! I mean, why should you have to pay what you agreed?
    Dude, don't take your bad day out on me or anyone else. I never complained that it wasn't fair. I never complained about anything. I just asked if anybody could suggest something that may help me. Don't be an *******.
    07-18-08 08:47 PM
    There are actually several legit ways to get out of an ETF, you just have to scour your contract's fine print. I used a legitimate reason I found in Verizon's contract that forced them to waive two $150 fees when I canceled my contract and switched to AT&T.

However, I do agree with Patrick that if you do not have a legitimate reason to break your contract, and just wanting to switch carriers is not a legitimate reason, your contract stands and they are well within their right to charge an ETF.
    07-18-08 09:15 PM
    AT&T changes fee policy for customer contracts | Technology | Reuters

Link 'em to this article.

Or this one.

AT&T's prorated ETF is live for new / renewing customers - Engadget

Another...

AT&T Now Offering Prorated ETFs � Unwired View

Although this only went into effect last fall so they may say you're out of luck.
    Last edited by Super Loopy; 07-18-08 at 09:31 PM.
    07-18-08 09:26 PM
    It is sick that most carriers do a 2-yr agreement w/ ETF. The sad part of it is that everyone does it. Some carriers extend your contract just for getting a new phone. They should eliminate ETF if you've been with your carrier for 2 or more years. I understand companies have to re-coup costs, but after 2 years...c'mon...

On a side note, my friend just canceled his t-mobile contract by telling them he moved to southern illinois. They didn't require anything. Actually, it's kind of funny, they made him mail a mapquest snapshot of his "new house". That's it.
    07-18-08 09:27 PM

07-18-08 09:29 PM
    There are actually several legit ways to get out of an ETF, you just have to scour your contract's fine print. I used a legitimate reason I found in Verizon's contract that forced them to waive two $150 fees when I canceled my contract and switched to AT&T.

However, I do agree with Patrick that if you do not have a legitimate reason to break your contract, and just wanting to switch carriers is not a legitimate reason, your contract stands and they are well within their right to charge an ETF.
    Legally, you are correct. However, I think they should make it illegal for a carrier to charge an ETF after 1-2 years of service. That way if you want to move back and forth you can without the hassle. If you switch your landline from att to another to vonage do you pay a fee ? No. If you. The ETF became very nice for companies when LNP became law.
    07-18-08 09:30 PM
    think of it this way: 175 bucks= about 2 months of service for me (my bill is about 110/month). If you broke the contract, you're only giving up 2 months out of the remaining time of however you have left.
    07-18-08 10:13 PM
    Legally, you are correct. However, I think they should make it illegal for a carrier to charge an ETF after 1-2 years of service. That way if you want to move back and forth you can without the hassle. If you switch your landline from att to another to vonage do you pay a fee ? No. If you. The ETF became very nice for companies when LNP became law.
    I agree that etfs should be prorated, but if you want to get out of an etf all together plan on paying FULL RETAIL on your cell, and not a subsidized price. I am a self proclaimed phone *****...LOL I have paid full retail every few months to get whatever phone my heart desires....it's not pretty how different the promo price is and how much you pay full retail. So i say hey im all for no efts...i already end up paying full price for the phone.

sidebar...and they dont charge eft's after 2 years of service(if thats your contract) they only charge the eft when you UPGRADE with promo pricing. That extends your contract 2 years. So after 2 years pay FULL RETAIL, and you will not extend your contract and you wont have an EFT if you want to leave. Sad to say it but you just "can't have it all".
    07-18-08 10:53 PM
    Dude, don't take your bad day out on me or anyone else. I never complained that it wasn't fair. I never complained about anything. I just asked if anybody could suggest something that may help me. Don't be an *******.
    I had a wonderful day, thanks. But the truth hurts doesn't it?

Let's review what you actually said, and hopefully explain why your post is so offensive to those of us with a moral compass.

[I] only switched to Verizon because the huge corporate conglomorate I work for offers a huge discount with Verizon. I had just 8 months left on my two-year deal with them.
    In other words, by your own admission you switched early and for a discount - period. Now, look in your contract that you signed. What does it say? Is this a reason that you both agreed was a legitimate reason for having to terminate early and thus have that ETF waived?

No? When you made this decision to terminate your contract early, and "calculated" your "discount", did you forget to take into consideration the "cost" of doing so (ie the ETF)? If not, it sounds like maybe what you are upset about is that you decision to do something that didn't make sense to do given the true costs.

Ok, having established these facts, what do you do? As a man, do you suck it up, and learn from it and move on? No, you post this:

Can anybody recommend anything I can say to my AT&T rep when I call to address this. I realize the chances of having them alleviate the entire $175 are basically zero and I'd be content if that at least pro-rated the fee down to the 8 months I had left on my deal.

Any suggestions?
    In other words, you are asking us to come up with a post-hoc lie that you can tell to get out of your agreement. I am not here to help you lie, or get out of your responsibilities, and find such posts offensive.

Yes, I have a suggestion for you. Tell them the truth, and ask them nicely if there is anything they can do for you as a long time customer. Moreover, your contract not us will tell you everything you need to know about under what conditions you can terminate. But, the time to have reviewed that was before you made your decision, not after in an attempt to justify your choice.

Personally, my integrety is worth more than $175.00, but your mileage may vary.

Good luck.
    07-18-08 11:21 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD