Hi everyone I am new here and i need some advice...i plan to become a proud owner a new blackberry in December i am debating between the different models. Sprint is my carrier. I like how compact the curve is but i think the bold has better features. while the new style also has good features i don't like the way it looks at all. I am wondering if Sprint will update the curve like Tmobile did too.
    Last edited by bananas4berrys; 10-25-10 at 08:48 PM. Reason: bad title
    10-25-10 08:22 PM
    Which curve? The new or old? Is the old even still for sale? Personally. I like trackballs...so i have the 8330 curve on verizon....and i think its great So I wouldn't get the new curve personally and I'd go fir the Bold....Features AND trackball
    10-25-10 08:48 PM
    my friend has the new bold without the trackball and i like it a lot better than having one mine would get stuck all the time when i had an older curve. i love how the new curve looks but the camera is really crappy
    10-25-10 08:50 PM
    Highjacking this thread.

Hi all - need some assistance from the much more experienced users here in choosing the right Berry for my wife.

BACK STORY
    Personally I want a 9700 since I find it to be rather nice. I purchased one for her and decided to get one for myself later on. It was a replacement for her 9000 which had died due to moisture. No amount of baking/reflow/alcohol seemed to get it back, so scrapped it and got the 9700.

Overall she likes the 9700 but would like to see some features between the two merged in order to make her very happy.

HER OBSERVATION - 9000 (OS5)
    • Overall stable.
    • Browsing is good but the 9700 browser is more appealing.
    • Browser crashes but infrequently in comparison to 9700/OS6.
    • Never tells that page is too large to load.
    • Long streaming videos don't always play.
    • Can't FF/RW videos with this phone.
    • Trackball requires periodic cleaning. I'm not always available to do it so she suffers for a few days sometimes.
    • Whenever she's cooking or doing her hair she can't use the phone as the ball will definitely require cleaning.

HER OBSERVATION - 9700 (OS6)
    • Much more appealing browser. Zoom function is very nice.
    • Some pages/tabs will crash - say that the page is too large to load.
    • All streaming videos play regardless of length.
    • FF/RW streaming videos.
    • Compatibility with more applications (probably just an OS version thing).
    • Search function built into phone/OS6 is nice.

The only reasons she's hesitating about my getting her a 9000 are the streaming video capabilities and the ball. Were it not for those I'd have gotten her one already - so here's what I'm looking for.

Either an OS for the 9700 that fixes the issues she has or a phone within the same ballpark price range that doesn't have these issues.

WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR (IDEALLY)
    • Search function (OS6 integrated)
    • Browser zoom capabilities
    • Less browser crashing
    • No "page is too large" error on webpages
    • FF/RW streaming video

Not sure if there's a way to customize the firmware to include older versions of some apps - she'd probably take the OS5 browser on the 9700 as that's her biggest issues. She can't access forums with lots of threads/pages with the 9700 as it gives issues. 6.0.0.668 is what's loaded currently on the 9700. Any suggestions welcome. TIA.
    01-19-12 09:58 AM
    I won't say you Highjacked this thread, more like brought it back form the dead....

Anyway you do realize that there are newer BB out there. Not that there anything wrong with the 9700, great phone but it came originally OS5 and later was updated with OS6 which could cause memory leaks. Why not get her the 9800 which is a big improvement over all and from you last statement as to "what we're looking for (ideally)", that will be the best choice.
    01-19-12 10:34 AM
    The newer OS7 phones would be better in this case. She can touch the screen instead on the trackball and wipe it off later. This will save you a lot of work. The 9900 will take care of all the issues you have listed.
    01-19-12 11:21 AM
    Thanks for the replies. More interested in a bar phone - not a slider or touch. The slider looks promising with dedicated keyboard and such. Reason for not being interested in the touchscreen phone is that she's used it and don't like it. I don't like it either - the whole press the entire screen for it to click feels.........weird. I haven't seen many of the touch-screen BBs but I think that other companies did better jobs with the touch technology (Kindle Fire/iPhone/etc). Unless it has changed with the newer phones I'd say the touch technology needs work. I agree that it helps to not accidentally run something, but it still feels weird to me.

Anyways - the 9900 looks nice but is pricy right now (expected since it's new). I'm wondering if the issue is with the OS, application or the phone tho........

Will check out the 9800 a bit more before deciding, then will also check if I can get the 990 for cheap

Thanks again for the responses - still open to suggestions and waiting to see what we'll do. Need to be certain that the issues are addressed in whichever phone we get for her next.

Oh - and does anyone know if the new OS7 phones use any technology from QNX? When will that purchased technology be used? Side quest........
    Last edited by khat17; 01-19-12 at 06:31 PM.
    01-19-12 06:29 PM
    Latest BB phones don't "press...then click". I have the 9800 and the touchscreen is great.

I recommend the 9810. I don't know why she wants the 9000; that's an older phone. Why wouldn't she want the latest/greatest
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-19-12 at 07:44 PM.
    01-19-12 06:43 PM
    I got my 9930 at Costco for $89 last month. Keep checking online. The price goes up and down all the time.
    01-19-12 07:21 PM
    Thanks for the replies. More interested in a bar phone - not a slider or touch. The slider looks promising with dedicated keyboard and such. Reason for not being interested in the touchscreen phone is that she's used it and don't like it. I don't like it either - the whole press the entire screen for it to click feels.........weird. I haven't seen many of the touch-screen BBs but I think that other companies did better jobs with the touch technology (Kindle Fire/iPhone/etc). Unless it has changed with the newer phones I'd say the touch technology needs work. I agree that it helps to not accidentally run something, but it still feels weird to me.

Anyways - the 9900 looks nice but is pricy right now (expected since it's new). I'm wondering if the issue is with the OS, application or the phone tho........

Will check out the 9800 a bit more before deciding, then will also check if I can get the 990 for cheap

Thanks again for the responses - still open to suggestions and waiting to see what we'll do. Need to be certain that the issues are addressed in whichever phone we get for her next.

Oh - and does anyone know if the new OS7 phones use any technology from QNX? When will that purchased technology be used? Side quest........
    I have the Torch 9850 and with it you get the best of both worlds. A beautiful screen to touch or you can use the trackpad. The browser is so good on it that I haven't been using my Playbook that much the last few days. And don't worry about the virtual keyboard, its easy to get used to.
    01-19-12 07:22 PM
    honestly, the bold 9900 is the BEST blackberry i have EVER used.

screen size is great for touchscreen (could be bigger).

keyboard is AMAZING to type on. It's actually enjoyable to type.

it's blazing fast. (getting things done is way more efficient. with previous bb's, a task like finding a local subway sandwich would be a tedious SLOW task. with os7, searches are so fast, apps load quick. bb maps is fast!)
    01-19-12 08:31 PM
    well if its price point the 9780 is an improved 9700 i have one and my wife has one there great and can be found for good prices
    01-19-12 08:47 PM
    Thanks for the responses. The 99xx is looking like a good idea. It's not that she doesn't want the latest/greatest (though in PC's latest isn't always greatest ) but she's not a fan of touchscreen or sliders.

I got my 9930 at Costco for $89 last month. Keep checking online. The price goes up and down all the time.
    If I can find a 9900/9930 for a price like that then I'd buy it instantly! The unfortunate part is that I'm not in the US so I can't check the stores. The online stores are all saying like ~$500. I'd pay up to ~$300 for one and then unlock it.

If lenn5 or anyone else can find one for that price I'd pay them $200 for it and then ask for it to be shipped to Miami. So let me know if you find anything online that I can jump at or if anyone sees it in a store. Thanks all!
    01-19-12 09:06 PM
    Depends on the features you're looking for and the price point. I paid $250 for my 9930 but I think that its worth every penny! The web browsing is super fast, the keyboard is perfect and I love the combination of the touch/physical keyboard. I love the look of the new Curves, but the 9930 was just a better overall phone for me. The Curve is a great phone for a lower price. I would recommend that you try one or the other out and return it for the other of you decide you don't like it.
    01-19-12 10:14 PM
    I would suggest you to get yourself a new OS7 Blackberry device...
    The Blackberry Torch 9860 is a nice device if you like full touch screen phones and the Bold 9900 is one of the best mobile devices ever.
    01-20-12 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD