I've used a blackberry exclusively since I first picked up a 7290. In that time, I've upgraded three times, first to an 8800, then an 8820, finally to my current 9800.

I've done three battery pulls that entire time. Twice with my 8820 (though they were defiantly my fault, being it was my software that choked it) and once with my torch to kill an antique java app that had crashed.

In the case of the torch, the battery pull was unnecessary as a three-finger salute would have worked just as well.

I don't reboot frequently, only when App World tells me to. Now, I do have a memory cleaner on my torch, so that may make a difference, but I never had a similar utility on any of my other BB's

Am I just the luckiest blackberry owner alive, or are the "required frequent battery-pulls" just a myth?
    09-05-11 08:38 PM
    After I installed autoreboot and it do a hard reset at 3am every night my bb runs smooth as a baby's *ss.
    It cleans your memory and it settles your software.
    Just a myth ??
    No you see the difference in using you device.
    For sure when you're browsing the net or using some app unuseful things will be stay in your memory that only removed by a hard reset.

Enjoy DelftEo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by delfteo; 09-05-11 at 09:18 PM.
    lifeofchaoss likes this.
    09-05-11 09:16 PM
    I've always thought the battery pull is overused. I've owned an 8310, 9800, and 9810, plus supported clients with BB's going all the way back to the RIM950.

Certain models have seemed prone to memory leaks, requiring a reboot (not pull) to resolve.

I have a client with an 8330 that has needed a few pulls in the 3-4 years he's had the phone. That's it.

So, I think it's a myth. If one's memory gets low, the "3 finger salute" reboot is all that's needed.

Otherwise, if a pull is needed often, that phone probably has a defect.
    09-05-11 09:22 PM
    Only time I do battery pulls, is cause of swap-outs, since I use three batteries, one after the other. Three finger salute, I use that when an app locks up everything, usually it's MiRoamer causing that sometimes.

09-05-11 10:14 PM
    quicklaunch reboot works well.....
    09-05-11 10:26 PM
    I use Quickpull every night and as long as I don't open up too many apps my phone runs fine. But hey I'm on a curve, I can't expect to have 12-14 apps running at one time and not have lag. Lol

09-05-11 11:20 PM
    I just do soft resets and clear memory and caches, haven't had problems with my berry in a while

09-05-11 11:20 PM
    It's not a myth as far as I'm concerned. On OS6 .600 for my 9780 I remembered doing battery pulls because my phone stopped responding while trying to stream a video from youtube and it got really hot, and when adjusting the volume while listening to a podcast got it hung up as well. Weird stuff happens, but I guess the only consolation is that at least we can remove the battery.
    09-05-11 11:25 PM
    It depends what you're doing with the device... I found streaming video for long periods of time, or installing or updating new apps, etc... almost always required battery pulls. Just texting and calling required many less battery pulls.
    09-05-11 11:51 PM
    Older devices, yes. New ones, not so much.

09-06-11 12:01 AM
    Battery pulls have definitely been less necessary on my Torch.

But, it was needed much more often on my previous BB, the Pearl 8100.

Remember, the "three finger salute" does not work on any Pearl - even now. So, if you have to reboot it because of a lockup or something, a battery pull is the only option.

09-06-11 12:09 AM
    I've used a blackberry exclusively since I first picked up a 7290. In that time, I've upgraded three times, first to an 8800, then an 8820, finally to my current 9800.

I've done three battery pulls that entire time. Twice with my 8820 (though they were defiantly my fault, being it was my software that choked it) and once with my torch to kill an antique java app that had crashed.

In the case of the torch, the battery pull was unnecessary as a three-finger salute would have worked just as well.

I don't reboot frequently, only when App World tells me to. Now, I do have a memory cleaner on my torch, so that may make a difference, but I never had a similar utility on any of my other BB's

Am I just the luckiest blackberry owner alive, or are the "required frequent battery-pulls" just a myth?
    I think here are a couple of models where required reboots were an issue, and I think those helped perpetuate what is otherwise a myth for most other models. I'm on my fourth BB, and like you, reboots for anything other than OS upgrades and app removals have been extremely rare.

kbz1960 likes this.
    09-06-11 10:09 AM
    I have had a Tour since they first came out, I have never had an issue with my BB. I love the phone. I will do a reboot ocasionally, I do have a slight memory leak now, but have never had to do a battery pull.
    09-06-11 10:19 AM

You obviously skipped the whole Storm period. The thing was insane. I had to download QuickPull and set the phone to reset everyday at 5 AM. That was just to make the phone usable.
    The Torch 9800 was good. Once every two-three weeks.
    Loving the 9900, no battery pulls required as of yet. The only ones were initially when I was configuring the device.
    09-06-11 11:04 AM
    You obviously skipped the whole Storm period. The thing was insane. I had to download QuickPull and set the phone to reset everyday at 5 AM.
    Good times.. I remember it clear as day. My S2 as set to auto reset at 6 AM just so it would work smoothly for me that day.
    09-06-11 11:21 AM
    I do a battery pull every day because I have to swap batteries.

I live in a poor signal area and my phone is constantly switching back and forth between 3g 1x and no signal as well as bouncing around between several towers (both home towers and roaming) that I am equal distance from.

Sometimes the phone gets lost and I have to reset it just so I can start over with a fresh tower log-on. Usually just shutting off the radio and turning it back on works but occasionally it doesn't.

I've always wondered how long my phone could go without a battery pull. Maybe someday they will put up a tower in my back yard and I will get to find out.

09-06-11 12:25 PM
    I do a battery pull every day because I have to swap batteries.

I live in a poor signal area and my phone is constantly switching back and forth between 3g 1x and no signal as well as bouncing around between several towers (both home towers and roaming) that I am equal distance from.

Sometimes the phone gets lost and I have to reset it just so I can start over with a fresh tower log-on. Usually just shutting off the radio and turning it back on works but occasionally it doesn't.

I've always wondered how long my phone could go without a battery pull. Maybe someday they will put up a tower in my back yard and I will get to find out.

I have the same problem in my house.
    I use my bb for tether and find out that you can force your device to stay only at 3G or to stay at one tower. Now my problem is solved have good signal indoor and no problems anymore. All this can you do in the "engineerings menu"
    Alt-AA-H when you get the help menu you can download a app called escodgen I posted somewhere here at CB
    Pm me if you need help

Enjoy DelftEo

09-06-11 03:06 PM
    I have the same problem in my house.
    I use my bb for tether and find out that you can force your device to stay only at 3G or to stay at one tower. Now my problem is solved have good signal indoor and no problems anymore. All this can you do in the "engineerings menu"
    Alt-AA-H when you get the help menu you can download a app called escodgen I posted somewhere here at CB
    Pm me if you need help

Enjoy DelftEo

I'm definitely interested. Is this a permanent setting change or does it have to be redone after every reset? Just being able to lock it to 3g would help a bunch. I don't know if I want to lock it to a single tower though, I don't have to travel far to get out on one tower's coverage and into another.

09-06-11 04:19 PM
    I can't help but wonder if its more the fault of badly coded apps (the same with battery life issues). I had an 8330 for two years and now have had my 9550 storm2 for almost as long and rarely, if ever, have pulled the battery on either. When an app locks up, I often find that task switching out of it and carrying on with whatever else the BBOS will eventually decide the app has misbehaved and kill it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    09-06-11 08:03 PM
    I think "battery pull" is a wrong term, "reboot" is what it's supposed to be. Doing a soft reset achieves the same thing with a battery pull. Usually people say "wait for 10 to 30 seconds", but between pull and wait, pull and instantly put back, and soft reset, I don't see any difference.

As for myself, reboot WAS necessary, but because it's my fault lol, I browsed with the stock Browser and it chugs the memory. Now I have Memory Booster and all is well and good

Besides, the memory problem should be resolved if I can restart the Browser, which can only be done by reboot or kill the task via some 3rd party app

09-07-11 01:28 AM
    I'm definitely interested. Is this a permanent setting change or does it have to be redone after every reset? Just being able to lock it to 3g would help a bunch. I don't know if I want to lock it to a single tower though, I don't have to travel far to get out on one tower's coverage and into another.
    download this tool you can enter the engineerings menu with it.
    When you press ALT-AA-H and it show the help menu write down your os version and the uptime, leave it with the red button and start the app, type your os version between the (????) and uptime and choose generate for the 30 day code, write this code down and press ALT-AA-H again, type now the 30 day code you will see nothing but the help menu will change into the engineerings menu.
    Goto "Mobile network engineerings screens - PLMN selection - bb menu button - disable RAT-GERAN
    Now your device stay at 3G till you reset your device or enable wifi. But if you reset your device you can disable RAT-GERAN quickly the same way by pressing ALT-AA-H.
    Also in the engineering menu you can find the tower settings and change for other tower. You can play and change what you want in this menu the changes go back to FACTORY DEFAULT settings after a hard reset so you can do nothing wrong.

Engineering-Screen-Unlock-Code-Generator
    I use a lot 3G and inhome my bb switch a lot between EDGE en 3G now I choose UTRAN and it stay at 3G very nice for tethering speed. Also nice when traveling and listen to TuneIn.
    I browse all the options and there is NO WAY to brick your phone if you do something with a wrong result do a pull off and all your settings are back at FACTORY DEFAULT so play and find nice things in here.

Enjoy DelftEo

Last edited by delfteo; 09-07-11 at 01:43 PM.
    09-07-11 01:27 PM
  22. bj
    My experience has also been that there is a difference between older and newer devices. I haven't had to pull the battery on my 9800, but I frequently need to do it due to memory leaks on my 9000.
    09-07-11 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD