So I have been a long time user of RIM devices, have had them both for work/personal use over the past 4-5 years and know that in the enterprise world they are still chugging along quite well. However, on the personal side, i've had a bold 9700 from the day they were released, on AT&T. Time has definitely come for an upgrade, and i'm torn between getting the newer Bold or jumping ship to the android market most likely to a Samsung S2 Skyrocket . This forum has always been a great resource in my researching BB topics and I would love to hear from all of you who have tried both/experiences/pros-cons/etc. Thank you for your all of your responses in advance, Happy New Year!
    01-03-12 08:04 AM
    newer bold of course since android is really a battery guzzler
    01-03-12 08:29 AM
    My last long using BB model was the 9700. I did use the 9800 for a bit; however, I didn't care for it that much.

I think the biggest difference you're going to notice is battery life. I typically get about 8 hours of use out of my phone with some gaming, lots of texting (hundred or so to a couple hundred sent/received), and anywhere from a half dozen to a couple dozen emails sent/received, some music streaming on the way to work or after-school coaching of high school soccer practice sessions. I'm not sure what the battery life on the Skyrocket is. I've heard LTE eats more battery...but not sure though. I have an LG Thrill and battery management isn't very good on this phone. There are a number of us Android users getting 12-17 or more hours.

The virtual keyboard took a bit of time to get used to. I don't have a specific number as far as days and weeks it took to get proficient. But the virtual keyboards that are out now are really good, and there's not that much of a learning curve.

You'll need a Gmail accout to have access to the market. You can set one up if you don't have one with your phone when you pull it out of the box using your phone.

I don't have to deal with truncated emails since I switched to Android. My exchange and gmail are just as fast as they were on the blackberry. My wife uses yahoo, and it comes really quickly. I'm not sure if it's instant though.

The one reallllly cool thing about Android is the near-limitless choices on how you want your phone to look. Here's a thread at teh XDA forums where people show off their screens...
    Post your Phone Home Screen **BE APPROPRIATE** - Page 5361 - xda-developers
    I linked you to the last page. Just work your way back.

The Skyrocket doesn't have an LED notification. To some this is a big deal. For some of this, we actually found it a relief not to have this LED light as we had come accustomed to constantly checking to see if the light was going off. It became a distraction rather than helping.

The best part of AT&T is the 30 day buyers remorse. Give it a shot. If you don't like it after a few weeks, you can always bring it back.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 01-03-12 at 08:36 AM.
    01-03-12 08:32 AM
    What if the OP has access to a charger most of the day? What if battery life is a moot point?
    01-03-12 08:34 AM
    had 3 generations of bold one after the other, although in many respects the 9900 is in my opinion the best device to date I am on the other hand bitterly dissapointed with its diabolical battery life, even with a f/ware update and a new battery im still dead in the water after 12-14 hours, and im supossed to be able to bridge my playbook to it.
    i dont have acsess to a charger all day so im often coming home from a shift with a dead phone in my pocket.

this in my opinion is an unforgivable mistake.

i played with a ga,axy nexus the other day and it made me think.
    01-03-12 09:22 AM
    My daily driver is the HTC Amaze (on AT&T, the HTC Vivid would be similar). I also have a 9700 mainly for BBM use. I *do not* have any experience with the new Bolds. Every time I try to go check one out at a retailer they don't have a working demo unit. I'm sure they're great lil devices and I know many people like them. For me, though, my Android device is the bees knees.

Like kilted_thrower mentioned, customization on Android is practically limitless. One thing I don't think I could ever do without again is widgets. Not only the aesthetics of them, but a lot of them are amazingly functional, especially on HTC Sense. You can apply widgets onto your home screen that let you view and interact with your email inboxes, calendar entries, text messages, weather forecast, music, etc without actually having to open the app.

Speaking of apps, the app market on Android is really more robust than on BB. There are a lot more quality free apps. Also, the paid apps are typically cheaper on Android than their BB counterparts. For example, I paid $6.99 for WeatherBug Elite on BB, and only paid $2.99 on Android. I've also found that some apps are more functional on Android than their BB counterparts. For example, the photobucket app has more features and options on the Android app than BB. I use Amazon MP3 and cloud player. On BB, I *think* you can only purchase songs, but not store them to the cloud player.

Going to a virtual keyboard may take some getting used to. It is rather frustrating the first couple weeks not being as fast/efficient while typing as you are used to. However, once you're used to it you'll be just as fast. I've found that the stock HTC keyboard is more intuitive *to me* than the 9700 keyboard. And, if the stock keyboard on the device you choose isn't to your liking, there are many other quality keyboards to choose from in the market (most are free or for a nominal price).

As far as emails, Android also has several apps to choose from if you don't like the look of the stock email client on your device. I personally use Mail Droid (free). Not only do I like the look better, but I can add my work email to my device and emails arrive on my Amaze at nearly the exact same time as the same accounts I have on my 9700.

Yes, battery life is a concern. It seems to vary from device to device. For example, when I had the HTC Sensation, that phone was a complete battery sipper and its battery was almost on par with my 9700. However, other people reported very bad battery life with the very same device. When I first got my Amaze, it had really bad battery life. However, HTC pushed out an update within a few weeks after release that addressed the issue. I'm still not getting as good of battery life as I did on the Sensation, but if I plug it into my car charger during my morning and evening work commutes it easily lasts a full day with moderate to heavy use.

If you are a heavy web browser/document viewer/gps user on your device, the extra screen real estate REALLY comes in handy. And native voice turn by turn gps on Android is really great.

What do you typically use your device for the most? I think that would greatly help determine which device would be best for you.
    01-03-12 09:28 AM
    For me, though, my Android device is the bees knees.
    I think you're the bees knees. <3

I'll have to say that I resisted moving to Android because of the virtual keyboard for so long. I can't even tell you how much faster I am using swype on a virtual keyboard than I was on a physical keyboard.
    01-03-12 11:10 AM
    I think you're the bees knees. <3

I'll have to say that I resisted moving to Android because of the virtual keyboard for so long. I can't even tell you how much faster I am using swype on a virtual keyboard than I was on a physical keyboard.
    Aw shucks *blush* . I've never gotten used to Swype. I've tried and tried, but I just can't get the hang of it. When I had the Swype keyboard activated I would always find myself tapping more than "swyping." Now the stock HTC keyboards come with their own version of Swype called Trace. Every once in awhile I send a text this way, but for longer emails, forum posts, etc I always tap.
    01-03-12 11:40 AM
    Personally i would choose the Bold, I recently just upgraded to the 9930 myself. Amazing machine, and if the device itself was'nt enough, there is a seemless touchscreen, which is a nice feature if you are a fan of touch. I switched from an iPhone 4 and the Bold is a great medium between the touch world and keyboard. It's perfect for me.
    bejadobe likes this.
    01-04-12 02:50 PM
    hop into a 9780 and keep on truckin'...
    01-04-12 03:22 PM
    So I have been a long time user of RIM devices, have had them both for work/personal use over the past 4-5 years and know that in the enterprise world they are still chugging along quite well. However, on the personal side, i've had a bold 9700 from the day they were released, on AT&T. Time has definitely come for an upgrade, and i'm torn between getting the newer Bold or jumping ship to the android market most likely to a Samsung S2 Skyrocket . This forum has always been a great resource in my researching BB topics and I would love to hear from all of you who have tried both/experiences/pros-cons/etc. Thank you for your all of your responses in advance, Happy New Year!
    I guess it depends on what you want/need out of a device. I run a business and use my 9930 hard all day for communications, browsing and the such. For this, I would use no other device than the one I have...it is fantastic at this. If I was a normal consumer into gaming, tunes, movies, etc and communication wasn't as important I may look into other devices.
    01-04-12 04:20 PM
    I moved from a pearl 8120 to a bold 9900 and love it! Couldn't type on wifes 9700 so was happy to see the 9900 come out. It's amazing. Son has an htc phone and he loves it but if he gets placed on hold he starts sweating and looking for a charger, watching his battery! Mine lasts all day but I'm not a heavy user. My pearl wasn't any better so I'm ok with it. I like the stoics but when it's time to commit to a contract and put the money down I had to go blackberry. Good luck!
    01-04-12 04:34 PM
    My daughter has the galaxy 2. Nice phone. I've encoded her some movies from bluray to mp4 and they look great at 1080.
    Still though I prefure the 9860. The 9860 moves through the file system faster. I just think Rims os is easier to move through. Give os7 a chance.
    01-04-12 06:32 PM
    I think you should try out a droid and just see if you're really going to like it or not. I recently had the Motorola Atrix and it was a great phone..it could do anything I wanted it to without a problem, the battery life did suck though. Anyway I got to where I was missing BB again..like I always do..so I sold it on eBay and bought me a 9780 which should be here at the end of the week. On the other hand, I have a android tablet that I really like. I'm glad I'm back to BB..it does everything I want it to do too. You could try a droid out for 30 days and see if you really like it or not. I just can't stay away from my Blackberry's lol.. Good luck with your choice!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    01-04-12 06:33 PM
    I've never really put either of them to the test, but I can tell you that no matter which one you choose you'll see a significant drop in battery life. The Bold 9700 has some of the best battery life around and the new Bolds or any Android device will not be able to top it.

As for the choice between the two it really depends on what you need your device for. If you were perfectly satisfied with a BlackBerry then there's no reason to switch to Android, but if you found yourself jealous of widgets and customization and yearning for more apps to choose from, then you probably won't regret making the switch.
    01-04-12 09:51 PM
    To use a droid you will need to be sitting on a wall charger lol
    In addition, the design is horrible IMO
    Get a 9900, thats what I would do. However, you should take a look at the Galaxy Nexus.
    01-04-12 11:31 PM
    Not really. The battery life on my 9810 is really bad and worse than my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I carry an extra battery with me when I use my 9810.

Battery superiority of the latest spec Blackberries is a myth. Blackberries now have really high res screens, faster processors and really small batteries.

Battery life on my 9810 is absolutely pathetic.

Let this screenshot of my Samsung Galaxy Nexus battery usage put any myths to bed. Androids are not gas guzzlers.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 01-05-12 at 05:35 AM.
    01-05-12 05:29 AM
    Androids are not gas guzzlers.
    Certain... Androids are not gas guzzlers. The Galaxy Nexus falls under that list but I'm hard pressed to think of another device that qualifies that statement.

Possibly a Nexus S running ICS but I believe it all has more to do with ICS then anything else. A Nexus S running Gingerbread wouldn't be as battery friendly, speaking from experience.
    01-05-12 05:54 AM
    Although you already have a whole lot of answers to deal with, I would suggest that stick to BB
    01-05-12 07:06 AM
    My daily driver is the HTC Amaze (on AT&T, the HTC Vivid would be similar). I also have a 9700 mainly for BBM use. I *do not* have any experience with the new Bolds. Every time I try to go check one out at a retailer they don't have a working demo unit. I'm sure they're great lil devices and I know many people like them. For me, though, my Android device is the bees knees.

Like kilted_thrower mentioned, customization on Android is practically limitless. One thing I don't think I could ever do without again is widgets. Not only the aesthetics of them, but a lot of them are amazingly functional, especially on HTC Sense. You can apply widgets onto your home screen that let you view and interact with your email inboxes, calendar entries, text messages, weather forecast, music, etc without actually having to open the app.

Going to a virtual keyboard may take some getting used to. It is rather frustrating the first couple weeks not being as fast/efficient while typing as you are used to. However, once you're used to it you'll be just as fast. I've found that the stock HTC keyboard is more intuitive *to me* than the 9700 keyboard. And, if the stock keyboard on the device you choose isn't to your liking, there are many other quality keyboards to choose from in the market (most are free or for a nominal price).

What do you typically use your device for the most? I think that would greatly help determine which device would be best for you.
    I think I am definitely leaning towards getting a droid.

Keyboard was one of my main concerns. I'm not certain if i'll be able to get used to the virtual keyboard, but I think I might go take one for a whirl at the store soon, also to check out swype as I've heard it can actually be quite comprehensive.

BBM was also another factor, but I don't think it will be too bad using normal texts now instead. As far as battery life goes, I have an in car charger and typically my bold is charged overnight every night anyways, so I don't think i'll be in for much more of a difference.

Typically I use my device most for messaging ( both e-mail/text ) Calling folks/using pandora on the road through my car's stereo, google maps, and the occasional youtube video. That being said, I think i'm down to either an original S2 or the S2 Skyrocket (AT&T). LTE is not available yet in my area, but will probably be here within a year or so and that is the main difference I see with the Skyrocket. Any thoughts/input/etc. is always appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    01-05-12 07:20 AM

Keyboard was one of my main concerns. I'm not certain if i'll be able to get used to the virtual keyboard, but I think I might go take one for a whirl at the store soon, also to check out swype as I've heard it can actually be quite comprehensive.
    I hope you have an easier time getging use to it than I am. Lol. I was worried about a virtual keyboard so I got the 9800 to give me both. Well I got to where I was using the virtual more and more but still used keyboard for long stuff. I'm jumped on the 9860 feeling like I had touch screen down pat. Wronggggg. I see how much I actually still relied on tbe keyboard. I still find myself try to slide out a keyboard. Lol.
    I don't know about the other galaxe 2 but my daughters is nice. If you like watching mp4s its nice having a higher res converstion. I don't tbink you can go wrong either way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-12 11:28 AM

BBM was also another factor, but I don't think it will be too bad using normal texts now instead. As far as battery life goes, I have an in car charger and typically my bold is charged overnight every night anyways, so I don't think i'll be in for much more of a difference.

Typically I use my device most for messaging ( both e-mail/text ) Calling folks/using pandora on the road through my car's stereo, google maps, and the occasional youtube video. That being said, I think i'm down to either an original S2 or the S2 Skyrocket (AT&T). LTE is not available yet in my area, but will probably be here within a year or so and that is the main difference I see with the Skyrocket. Any thoughts/input/etc. is always appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    This is just a personal preference, and I know many absolutely love Samsung devices, but I don't really care for them compared to HTC. To me, the TouchWiz UI isn't as intuitive as HTC's Sense UI. Also, even though Samsungs SAMOLED screens are great when playing games or watching videos, normal daily use on the phone can be a bit of an eye strain because the screen can't display true whites. They have a blue-ish tint. Also, the TouchWiz stock widgets aren't as robust as Sense's (again, that's just a personal preference as widgets are very important to me).

I love doing this widget demonstration. Here are some widgets that are Sense-specific:

The clock widget is probably Sense's most identifiable widget. Not only does it look good, but it's very functional as well. If you tap on the clock, you get this:

Here, you get world clock (as shown), and if you tap on the icons on the bottom they lead to desk mode, alarm settings, stopwatch, and timer. If you tap on the sun on the widget, you get this:

You can view the weather settings for up to 4 other cities, complete with live background of whatever the weather conditions are at the moment.

Here is Sense's calendar widget:

Yes, I know it's big, but that's how I like it. It also gives you options for different sizes and views. I like this view because it lets me scroll through all of my calendar entries up to 6 weeks out. If I want to edit an entry, I simply tap on the entry and it takes me to where I can edit it.

Here is Sense's news widget:

It doesn't give you many options for content, mostly just CNN for headline and world news and some tech sites. However, for me that's adequate enough. I can scroll through the headlines and if a story sounds interesting to me I can tap on the story and it shows me the whole thing.

There are also some other widgets I like that are not Sense specific. For example, Poynt's gas widget:

It's helpful to me because I'm commuting out of town for the next few months for work. I can quickly glance at the widget without having to open the app and select gas prices.

This screen is just a mishmash of widgets I find helpful:

I have my WeatherBug Elite widget that shows me the forecast for the next 3 days. Tapping the widget opens the app. Additionally, I have the WeatherBug Elite Maps widget. It's pretty quiet now, but it's wicked helpful in the spring (I live in Tornado Alley) and winter (we get frequent snow storms, most years). I can quickly see if rain/storms/snow is coming without having to open the app and check the radar. The Color Note widget comes in handy for lists. I can just glance at my screen without having to open an app. I can change what note is displayed by clicking the 3 lines in the top right corner of the widget. Below is the Vlingo widget, which shouldn't need explanation .

I also love the status bar on Android (similar to recent BBOS iterations) because that also stores info I need quickly that I can just swipe to obtain, like my imo.im app.

Reading through your needs for a device, I think Android will suit you just fine. And again, as far as the keyboard is concerned it DOES take a couple weeks to get used to. Don't count Android out if you have difficulty using the keyboard while test driving an Android device at the store. When I was shopping for my first blackberry a couple years ago (coming from the Sidekick platform) I couldn't get the keyboard quite down at the store, but I knew I would get the hang of it eventually, and I'm glad I stuck with it. I switch between my Amaze and 9700 frequently and I find I'm still faster on the Amaze's virtual keyboard than I am on the 9700's physical keyboard.
    01-05-12 11:50 AM
    My gf and I both had Droids before and just got sick of them. They always force close programs. There is programs running off of programs running off programs so they where always slow and glitching out. There some apps that ask for permisions they should not be asking for. Like this game was asking for permision to veiw our pictures, text msgs, voice calling, like why the heck do u need those permissions???? And it was a bunch of apps not just one. And android is horrible for its apps in another way. The app might be good one device but suck on another, and they have to fix problems on each device. It was just annoying. An update for the app would come out and then the app would be good on my android, but then it woud suck on my gfs phone. Just a nightmare. Plus battery life was horrible. I know some bb are not the best but my gf had to charge her Nexus twice a day. And it would not even get a full charge. Would only get up to 96% then my Optimus did the same thing and would only get to 98% the only thing I liked more about android than bb was more apps. But really I found myself using the apps for a few days and just got bored of them. So now I decided to get a cell phone that's meant to be a cell phone so I chose blackberry, if u want games then by a ps3, psp or whatever. I am now happy with my Bold and my gf is happy with her curve. And with the playbook to go with them we are even happier. That is just my opionion though. I won't knock android that much though cuz they do have other amazing features. Like torrent downloading ect... But if u have a compouter then there's no need. That's why I'm just happy with my bb. Anyways sorry for the rant. Just sick of people thinking androids so amazing. Every phone is good in there own way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-12 12:01 PM
    Certain... Androids are not gas guzzlers. The Galaxy Nexus falls under that list but I'm hard pressed to think of another device that qualifies that statement.

Possibly a Nexus S running ICS but I believe it all has more to do with ICS then anything else. A Nexus S running Gingerbread wouldn't be as battery friendly, speaking from experience.
    The Galaxy Nexus in Canada is a GSM, 4G phone and is easy on the battery, better than my Blackberry 9800 and 9810. In the U.S., the Galaxy Nexus is an LTE phone and I understand that phone is a guzzler. I guess you can always turn LTE off.
    01-05-12 12:35 PM
    When you do go shopping for an Android, check out all the selections. HTC is going to be way different than Samsung than Sony than LG in terms of the way they look. Of course, a lot of people throw different launchers and then get into using desktop visualizer and you can't tell what brand is what unless you see the brand name on the phone itself.

Also, depending on how many apps you have synced, how many widgets you're running, on wifi/not on wifi, how many screens, etc will greatly make your battery life differently.

My LG Thrill gets around 8 hours of battery life with:
    gmail, exchange, facebook, and Linkedin synced
    Some gaming
    Responding and receiving anywhere from a dozen to a few dozen emails
    3 screens, half dozen widgets
    Streaming pandora to and from work
    Installing/uninstalling apps
    Responding to and receiving anywhere from a few dozen texts to a couple hundred
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-05-12 12:55 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD