Hey all! I have really enjoyed reading here as I anxiously await my first Blackberry purchase; my contract is up in August.

I am primarily interested in BB because I tend to like more professional looking/functioning gadgets (for example I have IBM/Lenovo T series laptops) and I do alot of texting (so I like what I hear about the 9930 keyboard). I am aware that other devices can be used professionally as well, its just my preference (so please don't slam me if you disagree).

What I am looking for here is encouragement to stay the course. There is so much "out there" about apple vs android vs wp and when someone brings up "what about bb" in the comments they just get dismissed or run over with doom and gloom. Sometimes it makes me think of considering a Droid Razr Maxx for instance.

The reason I would like to hear others chime in is that I don't live anywhere near a place that offers a real live working BB I can work with, they only have "dummy" models that don't help me at all; so I live (and wait) vicariously through your BlackBerry experiences Also, now with all the talk of BB10/QNX I wonder if I should go that route instead of the 9930; but I'm pretty sure I want a physical keyboard.

Well, some of you may just roll your eyes at this, but its been therapeutic for me; chime in if you feel like supplying some group therapy
    06-13-12 09:11 AM
    If you want a keyboard you may have to wait till the beginning of next year. If you have the money, buy a used 9930 (craigslist, kijiji, etc.) and then use your upgrade to the BB10 qwerty phone when released. You can then sell the 9930 or use it as a backup phone.
    revtech likes this.
    06-13-12 09:22 AM
    T520, and X220 user here

right now I will tell you to stay the course because I think BlackBerry is unmatched for a communications device,
    I will most likely be getting a Samsung Galaxy 3 when they launch in Canada because it has been a long while since I use Android and to remain objective I need to get the latest and greatest again, or I'm just as bad as the people here who compare all BlackBerry's to their Storm, or Curve 8900

I am currently trying another platform, and I'll tell you I've almost destroyed the phone from wanting to throw it as the simplest tasks are so cumbersome, I've spent a great deal of time reading and asking questions to make the experience, magical..
    but I'm not really reporting on that until I've given it a fair few weeks to get used to it.

so Yes Stay the course, BlackBerry's have a wonderful look about them, and are a pleasure to use. even with the occasional BlackClock
    revtech likes this.
    06-13-12 09:24 AM
    Is the BlackClock the BB version of BSOD?

BTW . . I love your taglines (or whatever we call those things at the end )
    06-13-12 09:32 AM
    Is the BlackClock the BB version of BSOD?

BTW . . I love your taglines (or whatever we call those things at the end )

No the BlackClock just freezes your screen for 5-25 seconds usually, I get them most when I get off a plane and all my emails start pouring in, or if I'm trying to do to many things at once, they are annoying as heck when they come, but grand scheme of things I still would rather have them then deal with the annoyances I am running into elsewhere without the BlackClock
    06-13-12 09:37 AM
    For messaging BlackBerry is THE BEST. From the keyboard to the notification system it just is better than any other platform.

OS7 is super quick, efficient and everyone is well integrated into the OS. There's so many little details that will make you appreciate a BlackBerry.

The combination of the keyboard and the touch screen is amazing. I am flying on this thing! It's nice to have a device that you use, then put away. It really is a tool and helps you do things.

You'll love it.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 06-13-12 at 09:46 AM.
    revtech likes this.
    06-13-12 09:43 AM
    T520, and X220 user here

I will most likely be getting a Samsung Galaxy 3 when they launch in Canada because it has been a long while since I use Android and to remain objective I need to get the latest and greatest again, or I'm just as bad as the people here who compare all BlackBerry's to their Storm, or Curve 8900
    I love this . This is EXACTLY why I picked up a 9930!

OP - What phones have you used in the past and what have you liked/not liked about them?

I've only used one BlackBerry, the 9700. I bought it on launch day in 2009. I used it for about 8 months, which at that point I realized I absolutely needed a bigger screen in favor of a physical keyboard. But there's just something about a BB that draws you back . I'm still very much in awe of my HTC Rezound and all it can do and how functional and intuitive it is, but I'm pretty stoked to dip my cup back into the BB water. And you've picked a mighty fine community here .
    06-13-12 09:53 AM
    Android is the best for messaging. Nothing can top pull down notifications. You can be reading an article, receive a text message, and be able to read the incoming message word for word right at the top of your screen. You can swipe your finger down and reply. Or you can swipe and erase. You can even send text messages when someone calls you. Just swipe upwards, and a list of messages appear. Pretty cool for times when you're busy. Google voice typing is also pretty useful. I think alot of what bb fans look forward to in bb10, Android users are enjoying right now.
    06-13-12 10:06 AM
    pantlesspenguin said . . "OP - What phones have you used in the past and what have you liked/not liked about them?"

Actually I'm still stuck in the dumbphone/flipphone era . . but I have used an ipod touch and have an android tablet . . both were fine but there's just something that's saying to me when it comes to a phone I will want a BB because I want it to be primarily a phone with exactly the strengths chrisy noted above.

also am very intrigued about the playbook bridge feature, if the playbook were a 10 inch tab I might be more interested; the 7 inch is more portable, but that's what I have the phone for.
    Last edited by southofcanadaeh; 06-13-12 at 10:11 AM.
    06-13-12 10:07 AM
    Android is the best for messaging. Nothing can top pull down notifications. You can be reading an article, receive a text message, and be able to read the incoming message word for word right at the top of your screen. You can swipe your finger down and reply. Or you can swipe and erase. You can even send text messages when someone calls you. Just swipe upwards, and a list of messages appear. Pretty cool for times when you're busy. Google voice typing is also pretty useful. I think alot of what bb fans look forward to in bb10, Android users are enjoying right now.
    Yeah the pull down notification tray is really handy, but BB6 & 7 have similar functionality. And BB offers a more robust experience in terms of notification customization which is surprising because you can customize pretty much EVERYTHING else on Android.

pantlesspenguin said . . "OP - What phones have you used in the past and what have you liked/not liked about them?"

Actually I'm still stuck in the dumbphone/flipphone era . . but I have used an ipod touch and have an android tablet . . both were fine but there's just something that's saying to me when it comes to a phone I will want a BB because I want it to be primarily a phone with exactly the strengths chrisy noted above.

also am very intrigued about the playbook bridge feature, if the playbook were a 10 inch tab I might be more interested; the 7 inch is more portable, but that's what I have the phone for.
    I had an iPod Touch at the same time as I had my BB 9700. I hated it, lol. I'd get an IM on the iTouch and start typing out a reply. I'd get frustrated and log onto the IM on my BB to have a proper conversation lol. That's not to say all touch screen keyboards are bad, though. Now, I'm just as fast on my stock HTC touch screen keyboard as I was on my 9700.

No matter what you decide to get, keep in mind that there WILL be a learning curve!! It'll take days, even weeks to learn the ins and outs of your device, what it does, and how it does it.
    06-13-12 10:28 AM
    BBOS has the notification tray as well. We have to tap it. I do hope pull down is added. I like that.
    06-13-12 10:35 AM
    BBOS has the notification tray as well. We have to tap it. I do hope pull down is added. I like that.
    Question - is access to the notification tray only on the home screen, or can you access it no matter what app you're in like you can on Android?
    06-13-12 10:39 AM
    Home screen only. Never though about that. I use app switcher to check messages.
    06-13-12 10:57 AM
    Home screen only. Never though about that. I use app switcher to check messages.
    It's difficult for me to remember how I used to do things on BB lol. I know something I'll have to get used to is not having "scrolling" alerts in the notification bar. Like when I get a text or email a preview of the sender, subject, and first few lines scroll through. If I'm busy in another app it lets me know how urgent the message is.
    06-13-12 10:59 AM
    Don't go into a contract to get a 9900. Just buy one used. There is no timeline for when the first physical keyboard BB10 is coming out but by that point I highly doubt it will be even six months from that time. Would be a waste IMO.

I got my 9860 off Kijiji and couldn't be happier.
    pantlesspenguin and revtech like this.
    06-13-12 10:59 AM
    It's difficult for me to remember how I used to do things on BB lol. I know something I'll have to get used to is not having "scrolling" alerts in the notification bar. Like when I get a text or email a preview of the sender, subject, and first few lines scroll through. If I'm busy in another app it lets me know how urgent the message is.
    I know BeBuzz has a feature that when you get a message a little bar shows at the bottom and your message is displayed. I think. I've used it once. Toast.

I don't need to see a message preview. I use BeBuzz color notifications for specific contacts and apps. That's how I decide whether to check it nor not.

I know on my Android I turned off the scrolling message feature because it distracted me.

On BlackBerry I use app switcher which is super fast. Android had similar except that it showed Recent Apps which wasn't as handy for me.

There's probably other apps that show message content. I just don't know them since I don't use them.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-13-12 11:14 AM
    I know BeBuzz has a feature that when you get a message a little bar shows at the bottom and your message is displayed. I think. I've never used it.

I don't need to see a message preview. I use BeBuzz color notifications for specific contacts and apps. That's how I decide whether to check it nor not.

I know on my Android I turned off the scrolling message feature because it distracted me.

On BlackBerry I use app switcher which is super fast. Android had similar except that it showed Recent Apps which wasn't as handy for me.

There's probably other apps that show message content. I just don't know them since I don't use them.
    Thanks for the BeBuzz hint! That's probably going to be the first app I install lol. I'll keep a look out for that feature. The colors wouldn't be enough for me. Yeah I'll know if I'm getting a text/email/fb message/bbm, etc but I'd want to know WHO I was getting it from and what they have to say.
    06-13-12 11:17 AM
    You'll know who it's from since you set specific color for specific contacts.

I'm going to try out Toast now so I understand it better.
    06-13-12 11:19 AM
    You'll know who it's from since you set specific color for specific contacts.

I'm going to try out Toast now so I understand it better.
    Oh cool! I didn't know that was possible. I thought you could only set colors for certain alerts, but not specific people.
    06-13-12 11:24 AM
    Oh, Annie, you've been gone far too long.
    06-13-12 11:27 AM
    Oh, Annie, you've been gone far too long.
    I'm probably going to drive you INSANE over the next few days with questions!! Be patient with me .
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-13-12 11:28 AM
    Yay! Keep in mind I've only had OS7 for like 4 days. Haha. But I will try to help. Get on my BBM.
    06-13-12 11:31 AM
    Yay! Keep in mind I've only had OS7 for like 4 days. Haha. But I will try to help. Get on my BBM.
    But you've been back on BB more recently than I have. I'm sitting on pins and needles knowing it'll most likely be delivered today. I'm trying to leave work early . You'll be the first one I add! Message me your PIN so I have it handy.

Sorry OP for making this the Ann and Chrisy thread!
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-13-12 11:36 AM
    There are plenty of apps for BB that do this exact thing. I've used the LeaveItOn app for a couple years & it does exactly what you describe.
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-13-12 11:42 AM
    Question - is access to the notification tray only on the home screen, or can you access it no matter what app you're in like you can on Android?
    With apps like LeaveItOn which I use, you can get notifications in any app you want. Reply, dismiss, open it, etc.
    pantlesspenguin and Chrisy like this.
    06-13-12 11:44 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD