What is the easiest way to delete the entire contact list in order to start anew?
    03-15-07 12:44 PM
    ...you're talking about on a BlackBerry? Not sure it can be done, EXCEPT, on the pc move the contacts to a new folder (example a sub-folder of contacts), and then synch. That should get rid of them all.

Now, if you DON'T want the contacts period, then don't create the sub-folder, etc, etc...
    03-15-07 01:57 PM
    I agree with navilyn, this is probably the easiest way. Well nothing short of a hard reset anyway, which I'm sure you don't want to do.
    03-15-07 02:40 PM
    I was going to say hard reset.....then you can really start afresh
    03-15-07 02:57 PM
    Thanks for the tips. Worked out fine!
    03-15-07 03:03 PM
    Its like Robin Hood.....helping....

Glad its all sorted
    03-15-07 03:15 PM
    Im just curious as to why?
    03-16-07 07:46 PM
    Sorry to dredge this up from the dead.

I have installed a new OS on my Storm, and had to re-do the Enterprise Activation. The end-result is there is an old, stale Contact List and a new, up-to-date one from my Exchange server -- the "new one" is wireless sync enabled, the old one is not.

I can't figure out how to delete the old one. I'm looking in Desktop Manager, but not able to see the individual contact lists on the BB to delete. The contacts are correct in my Exchange account, so I can't do it from there.

Any ideas or further instructions on this?

Thanks!
    -AJ
    03-20-09 02:44 PM
    @AJ: did you ever get this figured out? I am in the *exact* same situation as you (BES + stale old list). The only thing I can do is to View --> old list, and then delete one by one! With 3300 contacts in there, its a long and drawn-out process to say the least.

AND, at the end of the process, the old/stale list is still an option [albeit empty]. Oh, and like you, my DM is unable to even see the old account/lists.

Sucks!
    12-31-09 12:36 PM
    I am not sure if this will work on OS older than 5, but if I go to options/security options/security wipe, there is an option to wipe all emails, contacts, etc. I would guess that would do it but I have not tried it.
    01-03-10 03:13 PM
    @Rick: I honestly don't remember what I did. I thought there was a post that I found where you could delete them from the desktop (PC) and then re-sync, but as I only had a few dozen, I may have just popped a beer and deleted them manually or used the "Select contact list..." I apologize, I forget.

Good luck to you. I've found the BB to be great in many aspects, and annoying in others.
    01-04-10 12:48 PM
    ...you're talking about on a BlackBerry? Not sure it can be done, EXCEPT, on the pc move the contacts to a new folder (example a sub-folder of contacts), and then synch. That should get rid of them all.

Now, if you DON'T want the contacts period, then don't create the sub-folder, etc, etc...
    All Well And Good, But I Consistently Get an "Unable to Read Application Data" error when the Sync is "Processing the Device Address Book". It Reads 363 of 376 Records and stall - HARD with the afore mentioned Error. ANy Thoughts of Suggestions? They'd Be Much Appreciated. - Thanls - ALH
    01-18-10 07:15 PM
    I was going to say hard reset.....then you can really start afresh
    All Well And Good, But I Consistently Get an "Unable to Read Application Data" error when the Sync is "Processing the Device Address Book". It Reads 363 of 376 Records and stall - HARD with the afore mentioned Error. ANy Thoughts of Suggestions? They'd Be Much Appreciated. - Thanls - ALH
    01-18-10 07:15 PM
    Its like Robin Hood.....helping....

Glad its all sorted
    01-18-10 07:16 PM
    Hey guys,

I rt of have the same problem. I upgraded my Bold and ended with two contact lists, one that synchs wrielessly with our server and one thatr doesn't. The issue is that I first I thought this was a fluke and started manually deleting all of the duplicate contacts. The problem is that I deleted (without knowing of course) the ones that synchronize with our server; so now I have a list with 20 contacts that synchronizes with our server and one with 1,000 contacts that does not and I am afraid if something happens to my BB that I will lose all of them.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Willy
    01-20-10 01:17 PM
    I've been in the same situation, and found out on some forum that you can just follow this procedure:

1. Go to "contacts"
    2. "Menu" button then "Options"
    => from there you see all your contact lists (i.e. "desktop" and eventually some more)
    3. Type "rset" (and *not* "reset" - be carefull with spelling)
    4. Answers the questions to wipe the unwanted contact list

Done ! :-)

However, and although the unwanted contact list becomes empty after this procedure, this contact list name still appears in the lists :-(. Can't figure out how to get rid of it, except likely a hard reset. Anybody has a hint ?

Luck.
    Last edited by jeanhaye; 04-26-10 at 02:22 AM.
    04-26-10 02:18 AM
    After trying desperately to delete all the contacts at once I finally figured out A. it can't be done from the phone and B. If you click the delete button and then "d" you can delete them really quickly. Hope that helps someone.
    06-02-10 11:27 PM
    Sorry to dredge this up from the dead.

I have installed a new OS on my Storm, and had to re-do the Enterprise Activation. The end-result is there is an old, stale Contact List and a new, up-to-date one from my Exchange server -- the "new one" is wireless sync enabled, the old one is not.

I can't figure out how to delete the old one. I'm looking in Desktop Manager, but not able to see the individual contact lists on the BB to delete. The contacts are correct in my Exchange account, so I can't do it from there.

Any ideas or further instructions on this?

Thanks!
    -AJ
    I have tried the rset solution, but on the storm, nothing comes up when I type rset
    07-21-10 03:42 PM
    rset worked on my BB Bold. Thanks.
    08-16-10 01:34 PM
    Hi :-)

I have tried "rset" and it did erase my contacts... in my contact list(s) and now I'm kinda freak out because I'm not sure what happens to my contact list.

Here is my problem why I desperately try this solution in the first place:

My sim card was broken so that it had to be replaced with the new one. After I replaced it, I found out that all my email accounts were gone so I set them up with the normal way (by "setup > email settings > add email). When it came to "synchronize address book" I thick all the options.

After all the casual procedure is done, I came to realize that my address book is filled with double contacts (sometimes it takes more than 2 entries for the same contact). When I check my contact list, it actually doubled it-self. eg: noone(at)gmail.com contact list is appeared twice) I assumed that my old contact list existed along with the same new one.

The-next-very-bad-thing is every time my BB synchronize automatically (I'm using Google Sync), my contacts duplicate them-selves like viruses. Now I have more than 4 entries for one contact!

Can someone advice me what to do? Many thanks...
    10-10-10 03:33 AM
    All you have to do is hook up to desktop manager and remove the contacts module, just like you do to delete the calendar. its under the restore area I believe, I can look later when I'm not on a linux machine...
    Last edited by joe.kent; 10-10-10 at 12:27 PM.
    10-10-10 12:24 PM
    I've been in the same situation, and found out on some forum that you can just follow this procedure:

1. Go to "contacts"
    2. "Menu" button then "Options"
    => from there you see all your contact lists (i.e. "desktop" and eventually some more)
    3. Type "rset" (and *not* "reset" - be carefull with spelling)
    4. Answers the questions to wipe the unwanted contact list

Done ! :-)

However, and although the unwanted contact list becomes empty after this procedure, this contact list name still appears in the lists :-(. Can't figure out how to get rid of it, except likely a hard reset. Anybody has a hint ?

Luck.
    This worked perfectly on my Storm. Asked Y/N to delete each contact list, only removed the one I wanted, no longer shows in the lists. No more duplicate entries.
    06-06-11 05:32 PM
    The "rset" worked great!!! I have been wracking my brain to solve this for weeks! I wish BB would put this information in their "help" file!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 02:00 AM
    can this rset procedure be done to calender as well pls?
    07-10-11 12:03 PM
    Contacts sorted....calendar to go still. Unfortunate thing for me is some events have been duplicated 100s of times, so manually trying to delete is not an option.
    07-10-11 12:53 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD