Hello,

I will be buying a new phone soon. I have looked at the Z10 but wondered if there was any point buying BB over an android phone with the kitkat release. I currently use a Samsung Galaxy Y running android gingerbread, it is my first smartphone and the experience of the phone and the O/S has not been good. Hence I looked at Blackberry as an alternative as the iPhone is too expensive.

Blackberry purports to be more secure than android, but that only seems to be the case when used in conjunction with the Enterprise Manager software. For an individual user is the BB o/s any more secure than the latest android release?

Help and advice is much appreciated,
    nictu.
    12-20-14 03:04 AM
    Get a BlackBerry. Your welcome.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-20-14 03:22 AM
    Hello,

I will be buying a new phone soon. I have looked at the Z10 but wondered if there was any point buying BB over an android phone with the kitkat release. I currently use a Samsung Galaxy Y running android gingerbread, it is my first smartphone and the experience of the phone and the O/S has not been good. Hence I looked at Blackberry as an alternative as the iPhone is too expensive.

Blackberry purports to be more secure than android, but that only seems to be the case when used in conjunction with the Enterprise Manager software. For an individual user is the BB o/s any more secure than the latest android release?

nictu.
    Take the Z30
    Yes it is more secure. Android apps are played in a 'sandbox'.

Posted via Q10Bold
    Sime0n_S and Mecca EL like this.
    12-20-14 03:41 AM
    BlackBerry 10 platform is very stable compared to iOS(ios7) and Android(kitkat,lollipop) . The bb10 OS is built on the foundation of security with QNX as a base which is used in nuclear power plants and NASA, so the OS is still very secure even without Enterprise management services and solutions. Multitasking..rest assured u haven't seen anything like it before.
    Also have a look on z30(if you like 5 inch
    phones) as it is a lot better than the z10 .

Also bb10 can load/run apk or android apps

Posted via CB10
    Sime0n_S and Mecca EL like this.
    12-20-14 03:44 AM
    Thanks dikku11,
    An informed answer and very useful. Z30 is too big and in my trade as a gardener it will get destroyed. Z10 is about as big as you want to go. That's why I orignally chose the little Samsung, so small it's less likely to get damaged. Thanks again,
    nictu.
    dikku11 and garrett lajoie like this.
    12-20-14 05:53 AM
    Z10 is a great phone but the battery life will make the Z30 the better buy

Z10 from Day One
    12-20-14 06:01 AM
    Due to the frame of the z10 vs the z30, the z30 isn't that much bigger, but waaaay better battery and a beauty screen

I say look at then side by side, draw a pic on paper if needed, but it isn't thta much bigger.

Bb10.2.1 and the soon 10.3.1 is incredible, it has so many features, it's geared toward communication, but is a great media consumption device too

You won't regret the z10 or the z30, but z10 battery is a little weak

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 06:08 AM
    You are asking for opinions on a Blackberry fan site. You should be able to guess which way the answers will go. You have to ask yourself, what do I need my phone to do. Then go buy that phone. Text, calls, e-mail, and a little surfing? Any phone can do it.
    12-20-14 06:09 AM
    If u want to play on a phone a lot and fiddle with it, then BlackBerry is not for you. BB's interface and platform is superb, but it is very much directed at productivity with security in mind. Apps and games are still glitchy, for now and the compatibility with android apps is far from smooth.
    Multitasking is great on BlackBerry, but this is a device and a platform that I have used for a number of years apart from iPhone 5. The latter was very good indeed. The apps are brilliant and run beautifully without the problems that I am currently having with my Z30. However, there were certain features that I have dearly missed on BlackBerry OS. One of the most important ones for me, believe it or not is the notification light at the front of the phone, and magnetic holster that sleep/wakes the screen up.
    Good luck anyway.
    Auday

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 06:10 AM
    The Z10 is a very good phone but the battery is weak when you are a heavy user. That is where the Z30 comes in. If you like a full keyboard maybe the Q10 is a good choice.
    12-20-14 06:11 AM
    If you're making a lot of calls, sending emails and text, surfing, then a z10 is great, I have a small business and it perfect, use maps to get around. I may be a bit biased, but if you choose a bb10 device, you will not be disappointed.

 Z10
    12-20-14 06:24 AM
    BB10 is a monster. It's the most efficient experience out there IMHO. But as some said already, its about what you want and can tolerate. The app situation is still a sore spot. Even with proposed solutions that you may read in the forums, you'll still find the process/availability/compatibility a little frustrating compared to the competition.
    Lastly, the Z10 is nice. Love it but the 30 has better hardware and battery.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-20-14 06:37 AM
    They are two completely different OS's, both very good in their own right. You will not be able to use Google + on a Blackberry if that matters. Lollipop is smooth and very pleasing to the eye. It has all the apps you need. On the other side BB10 is a very efficient OS for communications, etc. While you can get most Android apps they do not all work as I stated. Why not get a Z10 and try it out? You can always return it. Best of luck.
    12-20-14 07:22 AM
    The Z10 is quite old in tech.

You might consider the Sony Experia Z3 Compact. That's about the same size as the Z10 and much better hardware.

But if you are speaking in terms of the OS, BlackBerry 10 is much more intuitive, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri and garrett lajoie like this.
    12-20-14 07:26 AM
    Galaxy Y is a very basic smartphone. I'm not surprised that you had a lousy experience with it.

You mentioned that you're a gardener. I believe the Xperia Z1/Z3 Compact would best suit you.

Can't comment on BB10 phones coz I don't own one. Have a 9790, though.

Posted from a D618
    garrett lajoie likes this.
    12-20-14 07:47 AM
    Hello,

nictu.
    yes get a blackberry way more better
    12-20-14 08:19 AM
    Z10 is a great phone but the battery life will make the Z30 the better buy

Z10 from Day One
    A battery bundle will address the battery issue. We have two Z10s in our household and what I like most about them is the LCD screen vs the amoled on my Q10. The Z10 is sized perfectly, well made (we have dropped ours numerous times), u can get one at a great price now. The speaker is not the best, heads up. My kids have the BlackBerry bluetooth speakers with their Z10s.
    When I had the Z10, it would last me about ten hours of battery life.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    12-20-14 08:36 AM
    as others have said...if you want an unbias opinion why are you here... if you come here majority will be BB...if you go to Android central guess what they will say..... simple system.... list what your needs are in detail... is you phone primarily a communication tool or a s social media/game device.... what apps do you need.... how big are your hands ( this determines device size )...... what do most of your friends use...( not due to the in crowed... but you will be able to get apps they use.... How much customizing do you like to do..... ( Android is dream if you are so inclined ).... finally how thinned skinned are you...if those around you are not familiar with BB.... expect lots of teasing and snide remarks.... do google searches not comparing the OS as bias always comes in... just look at how each OS is reviewed...if it is glowing or negative find one that is balanced.... purchasing a smartphone is not a popularity contest... coming to any forum for opinion makes it such....
    12-20-14 09:46 AM
    I also work in the construction industry, in utility pole insulation.
    I have had a Z10 for almost 2 years now which I find pretty amazing, considering I've never had a phone last me for even one year up until now, and I've been using cell phones at work for at least 20 years.
    As someone already mentioned I've dropped my phone more times than I could count with out it braking. The point being it's a very durable phone and very easy to use. It certainly dose every thing I want it to do for work.
    Some people have already mentioned that the battery life isn't great but when they say that what they're saying it has about the same battery life as an Android or an iPhone, but as some people have also said here you can just get a spare battery pack, then you can switch out batteries, keeping your phone working 24-7. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:17 AM
    Hello,

nictu.
    Take it for a spin brother. I recommend the z30 it is infinitely superior to anything android or apple I've repaired. On a z30 with 10.3.1 have yet to find an android app that doesn't work.

Supporting the perplexed struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    12-20-14 10:36 AM
    The. BB10 operating system will definitely be better. The app catalogue on android is far superior though and especially the Google services.

Edit: definitely don't get the Z10. It has an awful battery. The Z30 is amazing and has a great battery.

Z30 STA 100-2
    12-20-14 10:39 AM
    BB10 is far superior than iOS or android. iOS is too simple and has peeked in its productivity so apple just keeps making their devices thinner and calls it revolutionary. Android feel like a university software engineers project. It gets the job done but it's too convoluted and now saturated in the market under every no name phone out there. BB10 really does make a much more productive phone... but then again what else did you expect to hear from a BlackBerry fan forum.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:37 AM
    The. BB10 operating system will definitely be better. The app catalogue on android is far superior though and especially the Google services.

Edit: definitely don't get the Z10. It has an awful battery. The Z30 is amazing and has a great battery.

Z30 STA 100-2
    I don't have an awful battery on 10.3.1 with Z10. Part of the reason for that is battery saver feature.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:57 AM
    Z30 is the best phone ever!

From my Z30
    12-20-14 12:05 PM
    BB10 is much more intuitive to use. You're going to be in love with the gestures and efficiency of the OS. I came from Android and I will never look back at that garbage from Google.
    Last edited by BlackBerry Guy; 12-20-14 at 02:03 PM. Reason: language
    12-20-14 01:20 PM
70 123