I will be frequently traveling to the UK this year and I've heard CDMA phones are not the ideal phones to be traveling over seas with since they don't get the best service in other countries. Should I switch to a GSM carrier? If there is anyone here that travels alot (out of country) and uses their BBerrys abroad, give me a review of what service you use so that I can make my decision ASAP.

ML,
    Geoffrey
    05-22-09 09:08 PM
    GSM is what they use in europe. T-Mobile and at&t are GSM but Verizon have the 8830, 9530 and soon the 9630 that have a sim and will work in Europe.
    Last edited by David4BB; 05-22-09 at 09:25 PM.
    05-22-09 09:23 PM
    I will be frequently traveling to the UK this year and I've heard CDMA phones are not the ideal phones to be traveling over seas with since they don't get the best service in other countries. Should I switch to a GSM carrier? If there is anyone here that travels alot (out of country) and uses their BBerrys abroad, give me a review of what service you use so that I can make my decision ASAP.

ML,
    Geoffrey

some of verizons phones are world phones with GSM radios no need to switch carriers if you don't want to..
    05-22-09 10:35 PM
    I'm in Iraq working in support of the military and my Storm is working great! (Full Bars; EDGE)
    05-22-09 10:41 PM
    Verizon gave me the unlock code for the 8830 and we unlocked the phone. supposedly? Is there a setting on the phone that tells you it is unlocked? Verizon says that you cannot tell until you go overseas and insert the UK SIM card and it connects. This does not seem right to me? Can anyone advise?
    05-22-09 10:41 PM
    Will the Storm 2 be a global phone like the Tour? and if I have a GSM carrier will they provide a separate SIM card for me to use in Europe or does it just work? the same question applies to verizon phones as well over seas.

Thanks for everyone's help!

ML,
    Geoffrey
    05-22-09 11:02 PM
    Verizon gave me the unlock code for the 8830 and we unlocked the phone. supposedly? Is there a setting on the phone that tells you it is unlocked? Verizon says that you cannot tell until you go overseas and insert the UK SIM card and it connects. This does not seem right to me? Can anyone advise?
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > and start typing in "MEPD." It5 won't show that you're typing, but once you enter it you should see a few more things appear. Look for "Network." If it says disabled, it's been successfully unlocked.
    05-22-09 11:06 PM
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > and start typing in "MEPD." It5 won't show that you're typing, but once you enter it you should see a few more things appear. Look for "Network." If it says disabled, it's been successfully unlocked.
    I am heading to Italy/Austria in about a month and like others, it is a little disconcerting to not know if my phone will work over there with this "mysterious" sim card. I did call them about a year ago just to be set up for eventuality but the results are so vague and untestable in the US. I just ran your instructions (8830 with verizon sim card) and I see

Network: Inactive

Is that the same as "disabled"

I do see DISABLED next to SIM

Actually, here's that Page and List:

SIM Card Security Disabled

ID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Personalization:
    SIM Disabled
    Network Inactive
    Network Subset Disabled
    Service Provider Disabled
    Corporate Disabled

I guess the best I can do is cross my fingers and turn it on when I get to Munich........ Too bad you can't go to a Verizon store where they would have some lower power transmitter testing device on the proper frequency.
    05-23-09 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD