we currently have a Linksys 3G wireless router and are considering upgrading to a Wireless N one for increased distance...

We use our laptops (Vista with internal wireless modems) to print wirelessly to an HP printer as well and i also connect my 9000 to it for Wi-Fi.

can anyone recommend a Linksys Wireless N router? I dont want a D-link.

Thanks in advance...
    09-23-09 04:38 PM
    we currently have a Linksys 3G wireless router and are considering upgrading to a Wireless N one for increased distance...

We use our laptops (Vista with internal wireless modems) to print wirelessly to an HP printer as well and i also connect my 9000 to it for Wi-Fi.

can anyone recommend a Linksys Wireless N router? I dont want a D-link.

Thanks in advance...
    Personally I have a strong preference for my Dual Band WRT600N running DD-WRT. The ability to use 5GHz is nice as it has much less interference and competition for channels. The router also has a Gigabit switch for crazy fast wired connections.

The WRT350N and WRT300N are also favorites of mine. Basically the same as the 600N, but they can only use the 2.4Ghz band, and the 300N only has a 100mbit switch.

Unfortunately, Linksys replaced all of these models with newer models that are less robust, so you'll have to look for them refurbished.
    09-23-09 04:57 PM
    thanks... do you have any expereience with refub'd ones? I mean, are refub's generally ok to buy?
    09-23-09 05:09 PM
    I actually prefer factory refurbs to new for the most part.
    Most mass produced items are assembled by automated machines, and have minimal quality control, but when you get a factory refurb, an actual technician inspects and test the item, so they're generally in really good shape.
    I've had some (very) minor cosmetic scratches on one of my routers, but you'd have to stare to see them, and since I don't stare at my router too often, it's never been an issue.

If you're interested in running DD-WRT custom firmware then you need to make sure you buy certain versions of the 300n or 350n (although any verson of 600n is fine).
    09-23-09 05:44 PM
    I'd be lying if I knew what "DD-WRT" means... :-)
    09-23-09 05:49 PM
    DD-WRT is a firmware that replaces the linksys firmware that comes pre-installed on the router. It allows you to have much better control and enables you to do lot a more with the unit than the factory software. For example the factory unit has an output of 70 mW with DD-WRT you can boost the output to 251 mW increasing your range significantly. It has features that lets you use it as a repeater bridge which means you can set up multiple routers in a repeater mode and extend your range to almost anywhere you want.

It takes some messing around if you are not a networking person, but the result is worth the effort. I have three routers with DD-WRT firmware and I can get a strong UMA connection three houses down from where I live.
    09-23-09 06:08 PM
    DD-WRT supports Kai network, daemon-based services, IPv6, Wireless Distribution System, RADIUS, advanced quality of service, radio output power control, overclocking capability.......... and software support for a Secure Digital Card hardware modification

ROPC....is by far the best feature......you can add 3rd party software to do it to other as well....however you can brick a linksys just like you can brick a BB
    09-23-09 06:09 PM
    I love my wru-Indoor Voice Port
    09-23-09 06:12 PM
    If all you're using your router for is connecting your computers to the internet or each other, then you don't need to worry about DD-WRT.
    09-23-09 07:00 PM
    ^^^ whew, cuz I was lost in translation with all the IPv6, ROPC and overclocking capability jargin..

yes, all I want to do is increase the distance that I can connect my laptop to along with maintaining wireless printing capabilities and WI-FI access through my BB..

Would the Linksys WRT-300N or 350N do this for me?
    09-23-09 10:29 PM
    yeah youll be good
    09-27-09 10:32 PM
    Thanks Larry..
    09-27-09 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD