Hi,
    I need to buy my first Blackberry ASAP. I currently use Verizon for cell service but my priority is to have a Blackberry that A) has great cell service in NYC--where I am based--and USA-wide and B) has easy international service for phone and emails. I heard that you need to use some sort of SIM card if you have Verizon Blackberry. I need a user-friendly Blackberry (I'm a bit of a Luddite) that will just work anywhere I go internationally, without having to switch SIM cards in and out. Any opinion between which product to get and which provider between Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T to use? Thanks in advance for any advice!
    12-21-08 11:19 PM
    Blackberry Storm!
    12-21-08 11:21 PM
    I'm a bit of a Luddite
    That said, I don't think you would want a Storm, as it is (arguably) the most technologically advanced Blackberry in existence.

As far as not wanting to switch out SIM cards, unless you want to pay whatever rates your carrier charges, it is usually cheaper to purchase a local prepaid SIM card when you arrive at your destination and use that.
    12-21-08 11:31 PM
    If you need a qwerty k/board and don't mind not having a camera
    there is also the 8830 world Edition

BlackBerry� 8830 World Edition in Red PDA/Smartphone /Mobile Phone from Verizon Wireless
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-21-08 at 11:37 PM.
    12-21-08 11:33 PM
    i believe the curves are international and are great phones you might want to check those out or go to a verizon store and they will help you out. Edit: sorry the world edition blackberries work only for international and the storm :/
    Last edited by polishbolduser; 12-21-08 at 11:37 PM. Reason: nevermind world edition is the only choice
    12-21-08 11:34 PM
    If you want to stay with Verizon, only two are offered for international use: The Storm as mentioned and the 8830WE. The Storm is the only one that will work in Japan and South Korea.

If you want to go to AT&T, it would be the Bold. All other BBs are able to go abroad as well, but will not work in Japan or South Korea.

T-mobile, all BBs, but non can operate in those two countries, unless you use their UMA service which allows for using the device through wifi connections.
    12-21-08 11:34 PM
    i believe the curves are international and are great phones you might want to check those out or go to a verizon store and they will help you out.
    The curves for verizon do not work abroad on GSM networks.
    12-21-08 11:35 PM
    What I did was opened two new BB service lines with Tmobile and Verizon. After 14 days I saw that the Verizon service was 10x better in my area than the Tmobile one. I still had 16 days left to cancel one line, because you get 30 days to change your mind. In the end I cancelled the Tmobile one. You have to test out and see what works for your area. Verizon has that service where they let you try out their service for 30 days, if you don't like it you can take your number elsewhere and they'll pay for your calls...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 03:37 AM
    No Storm! You can always get a higher techno advanced advice later. Wnen contract renewal or so. First try the wonderful BB email handling with the qwerty keyboard.
    12-22-08 03:55 AM
    Yeah bold on at&t or 8830 on Verizon..
    Both are global phones that work mostly everywhere besides the countries mentioned above.. Stay away from the storm at all cost if you are unfamiliar with technology.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by russellwilliam; 12-22-08 at 05:15 AM.
    12-22-08 04:30 AM
    My .02, the 8830. No camera, but as I've heard works just about anywhere

12-22-08 06:06 AM
    Hi,
    I need to buy my first Blackberry ASAP. I currently use Verizon for cell service but my priority is to have a Blackberry that A) has great cell service in NYC--where I am based--and USA-wide and B) has easy international service for phone and emails. I heard that you need to use some sort of SIM card if you have Verizon Blackberry. I need a user-friendly Blackberry (I'm a bit of a Luddite) that will just work anywhere I go internationally, without having to switch SIM cards in and out. Any opinion between which product to get and which provider between Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T to use? Thanks in advance for any advice!
    in nyc the gsm phones of at&t & T-mobile should work fine for you and all so work just about any other country.
    12-22-08 06:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD