Hi there, fellow Crackheads! I'd like a little input from anyone interested in giving any. I am currently using the Torch. There are things that I love about the phone and just a few things that I can't seem to decide if I can live with. I upgraded from the 9700, which I loved even with the leaked 6.0 os. Here are my issues: 1) I just cannot get used to the virtual keyboard. I have tried and tried, but I still make a lot of mistakes. Yes, I know I can slide out the keyboard & use it but not sure I want to deal with that after coming from a 9700. Secondly, the weight of the phone. Although the size is close to my 9700, it is definitely heavier. So here are the questions I'd like input on:

1) Should I just go back to my Bold, even though it's a smaller screen?

2) I know I can switch back and forth by popping the sim card in and out, but do you have to call the carrier every time you do?

3) If I decided to just switch back and forth, what about the apps? Do you have to switch your version every time?

I love almost everything about the Torch-especially the screen size, with the exception of the issues I mentioned above.

Thanks for opinion/input, everyone!
    01-14-11 12:20 AM
    You can switch back and forth because both are BBs. However BBM may be weird because there are 2 different pins.

I think 9700 on 5.0 and 9800 on 6.0 would be better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 12:22 AM
    Switching back and forth is no problem other than BBM. You don't have to call att unless you have insurance. The insurance only covers what ime you have on file. I'm not real sure how your apps will flip flop back and forth. If it was me I would set each one up how I will use it when I'm actually using it. Then all I would be moving is the sim. But if you just have to switch your apps from each device DM can do it fairly quickly.
    I vote to just try to get use to the torch. Once you do its a blast. I too came from a 9700 and love it. I still love my 9700 even though I haven't used it since I got my torch 4 months ago. Hope this helps.

01-14-11 12:37 AM
    1) Should I just go back to my Bold, even though it's a smaller screen?
    This is a question that only you can answer. It sounds like you were really happy with your Bold. You didn't have to make any adjustments to how you used it, and it worked nicely for you. I say if that's the device you like, go with that.
    01-14-11 07:51 AM
    I returned my Torch after a week of usage and got a brand new retail price 9700! Imagine that! I just couldn't deal with the Virtual Keyboard nor the physical keyboard which was too cramped for my liking. Also, as I type alot, the p[hysical keyboard was usually slid down most of the time, which made the phone look enormous.
    Further more, the Bold's battery was of a higher capacity so that did it for me.

I later one upgraded to a 9780 and couldn't be happier. I have tons of apps installed and still have 276 MB free

My advice, if you're hating the keyboard, sell it, or return it if you can and get a 9780.

Regarding the apps, you won't be able to use them on both phones, as you would have to contact the original seller to have them switch to another device everytime you swap between sims which is very inconvenient.
    01-14-11 08:00 AM
    You all make good points, but the biggest reason I switched to the Torch was screen size. I'm not sure I can go back to the smaller screen on my Bold. I would appreciate more opinions-thanks!
    01-14-11 08:46 AM
    I'm not sure what the purpose of switching back and forth would be? Use your 9700 for texting and the 9800 for videos and stuff? If your gonna do that..sell one and buy and ipod or something with better media capabilities.

If you've truly given the virtual keyboard a good shot and still can't use it to your liking..and prefer not using the physical one..then your options are pretty limited imo. You either have to get used to it..or move back to the 9700..or wait on one of the rumoured devices to hit the streets. Swapping cards back and forth is a PITA..and not worth the effort imo.
    01-14-11 08:57 AM
    I absolutely agree that switching back & forth would be a pita, but I know quite a number of Crackheads do. I'm the type that likes to stick with one thing. I've had my Torch for over 2 months now and have used the virtual keyboard only. I'm leaning more to sticking with the Torch. Does anyone have any tips for me to maybe be more accurate with the virtual keyboard?
    01-14-11 09:01 AM
    I absolutely agree that switching back & forth would be a pita, but I know quite a number of Crackheads do. I'm the type that likes to stick with one thing. I've had my Torch for over 2 months now and have used the virtual keyboard only. I'm leaning more to sticking with the Torch. Does anyone have any tips for me to maybe be more accurate with the virtual keyboard?
    Well if you haven't already..use the auto text (or dictionary..can't recall which is which atm) and customize some of the words you commonly misspell or just to shorten the number of keystrokes used. For example: u -> you,
    ur -> your etc. If you keep hitting a wrong keystroke like typing "for" but spell "fir"..fix it with auto text "fir ->for". That's about as good as you can get..other than practice. The software is what it is (unlike Android..where there are many different virtual keyboards you can try and test out..each with it's own software. But that's a different topic althogether)
    01-14-11 09:08 AM
    You all make good points, but the biggest reason I switched to the Torch was screen size. I'm not sure I can go back to the smaller screen on my Bold. I would appreciate more opinions-thanks!
    I don't have a Torch, but I have a Storm2 and the first few weeks were a nightmare trying to type. Now I'm as fast as I ever was with prior physical qwerty keyboards.

My suggestion is to keep working with it until you're good at it. I know many people who have a torch and it seems they've all been in the same boat as you. In the end the ones that I see the most absolutely love the device. Stick with the newer technology, you'll be glad you did.
    01-14-11 09:37 AM
    Regarding the apps, you won't be able to use them on both phones, as you would have to contact the original seller to have them switch to another device everytime you swap between sims which is very inconvenient.
    No you won't. Move sim back to 9700 hook both phones up to pc transfer phones w/ DM. Just takes a couple minutes.

01-14-11 09:47 PM
    The fact that you're asking if you should switch back to your 9700 makes me think that you want to but you don't think you should want to - the torch is newer, flashier, and cooler. But the 9700 fits your needs better, and you're attracted to the older phone.
    If you prefer the 9700 use it, nevermind anything else lol.
    01-14-11 10:42 PM
    Portrait SureType FTW. Honest, give it a go. The qwerty is unusable for me in portrait, and I don't use the physical KB at all.
    01-14-11 11:39 PM
    Well if you haven't already..use the auto text (or dictionary..can't recall which is which atm) and customize some of the words you commonly misspell or just to shorten the number of keystrokes used. For example: u -> you,
    ur -> your etc. If you keep hitting a wrong keystroke like typing "for" but spell "fir"..fix it with auto text "fir ->for". That's about as good as you can get..other than practice. The software is what it is (unlike Android..where there are many different virtual keyboards you can try and test out..each with it's own software. But that's a different topic althogether)
    Actually you can switch between the Full Quarty Keyboard, SureType, or the Multi-tap just by pressing the BB button and scrolling up the menu to find those options.
    01-14-11 11:57 PM
    Portrait SureType FTW. Honest, give it a go. The qwerty is unusable for me in portrait, and I don't use the physical KB at all.
    Really?! I had no idea we could use suretype! I will give that a shot as well. Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I really appreciate it!
    01-23-11 03:06 PM
    Holy cow! I just switched to suretype and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thanks, everyone! I think you all just solved my issue with my Torch!
    01-23-11 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD