Greetings all,

I rarely introduce myself or bother with a bio of myself on a message board but, I feel I am an odd case and, would provide some amusement if not confusion and, probably my strange requests would get promptly handled with background information.

I was drug into HR of my company the other day and informed I'm getting a phone, and it's not up for debate. I've not owned any phone, be it home or cell in over 2 years. My last cell phone was hit with a plasma cutter. That's a long story. It was some basic model phone as well.

Shipping on it's way now from Verizon Wireless is a Blackberry 8530. I have no options on this. Being young, it might be shocking to hear I don't do phones, the only contact I do is face to face, but in finance it's all I want to do. To me email isn't personal and only used for planning. Phones slow people down and don't even start me about text messages or social networking.

So I either will be fired or forced to adapt to the thing. I figure with a gun to my head I might as well learn it. But not being much a tech person, I'm told this is the "working people's" phone not a toy as other platforms are. That's good, I plan to ONLY work with this.

So starting day one I want to remove anything that's "fun" "cute" or "cool". I don't have time for that noise, I don't want it either.

The other questions is with while helpful semi bias info about how powerful these things are, can I run full trading websites from it? Safely? At a speed to keep up with the market?

I really don't know what this thing will do for me as I don't take calls. I pay someone for that and I don't want to be updated on email till I'm good and ready. So before I touch this thing I see it as a dead weight. Now to be fair, I will give it a chance before I blatantly destroy company property and risk my employment contract.

Hence why I'm posting, how can you win me over on this being a tool and not a toy? What can I do to strip the unneeded stuff from the start? Is there anything I should buy to keep thing safe or working best?

I know this seems like a borderline joke at best, but regrettably it's not so I figure make the best out of the worst and maybe this won't be so bad. Plus with out reading such a confusing and bizarre story of a user might at least brighten your day.

Regards,
    08-12-10 11:37 PM
    Forgive my lack of manners.

Cliffs :
    anti tech person now has a blackberry
    wants to turn it into a work only tool
    ways to love or use it when doesn't need a phone or smart phone?

Also since most people ask or like to know my screen name is a reference to "The Charge of the Light Brigade"
    08-12-10 11:46 PM
    I moved the thread to BB Discussion and I have changed the titled to try to draw out the help you seek.

The BlackBerry platform is VERY secure so trading should be no problem. You will find many useful apps that can enhance this experience. There are also banking apps. BlackBerry has many many productivity apps, and much less fun type apps. HOWEVER there are social apps, which can be productive if you ever decide to go that route to enhance your face to face interactions, which I agree with you ARE more productive.

Anyways many more people will answer also, just wanted to add a few thoughts before moving on.
    08-13-10 07:51 AM
    can I run full trading websites from it? Safely? At a speed to keep up with the market?
    You may what to look at the products and services offered by Bloomberg.

About Bloomberg

My Bloomberg contact tells me, they do BlackBerry Bloomberg terminals. There will be a subscription, of course.

08-13-10 09:26 AM
    I moved the thread to BB Discussion and I have changed the titled to try to draw out the help you seek.

The BlackBerry platform is VERY secure so trading should be no problem. You will find many useful apps that can enhance this experience. There are also banking apps. BlackBerry has many many productivity apps, and much less fun type apps. HOWEVER there are social apps, which can be productive if you ever decide to go that route to enhance your face to face interactions, which I agree with you ARE more productive.

Anyways many more people will answer also, just wanted to add a few thoughts before moving on.
    Thank you very much for the help and advice already!

That is outstanding news to hear. I had no idea something of that size could pull something like this off.

I'm already thrilled to hear this and with what reading i've done and searching it seems there will be ways to make someone who's never wanted or needed a smart phone into a avid user.

You may what to look at the products and services offered by Bloomberg.

My Bloomberg contact tells me, they do BlackBerry Bloomberg terminals. There will be a subscription, of course.

As well, thank you for the advice, work's picking up the bill and we do understand information isn't free.

To put in a touch of my own thoughts so far owning it, other then it's not blipped or malfunctioned once, the factory case verizon shipped it with is sturdy enough for my liking and I feel it will be safer cased vs dropped into a pocket.

Regards !

Edit: I had to undo the link in quotes due to my lack of posts. Maybe one day I'll be brave and try to log on here from it :P
    08-13-10 12:58 PM
    You'll will love your new Berry. I have all faith that within 2 months you will be a Crackberry addict and will be surfing the forums frequently. You can always log in and go to the 8530 forum and ask any questions you may have and people will no doubt go out of their way to help you in any way they can. Check out the free section of the the CrackBerry App Store to get you started~

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD