I love using the free Nav4All navigation software. The draw is the lack of any significant help manual, either online or through the program. I've searched the net for Help Forums but there's not much there. Perhaps some of you fellow nav4all users out there might use this thread to share your questions and answers.

Here are some of mine:

What is the significance of the number in the top left corner of the arrow navigation screen, something in the format of 11:34, but changing slightly all the time.

What is "white++" as one of the travel options?

Travel alternatives are only provided for short trips? What is the mileage cutoff?

What does "recalc sensitivity" mean? How do I choose which number to use?

What do the "blocked route" options mean?

How can I have the street names displayed in a bigger font? Unfortunately, the street names are often covered by the street itself and are difficult to read.

What does "safety first" option do?

How do I keep Nav4All running but leave that screen to go to another application? Whenever I attempt to leave to go to my Blackberry Home Screen, it asks if I want to quit the program. If I say "no", then it goes right back to the program!

Thanks!
    03-18-08 10:14 PM
    I think I can help you with saftey first. It shows your MPH and if your going over the posted MPH it will say CAUTION or something like that. I personally have garmin, but used Nav4all when i first purchased my 8310. It worked for me until I wanted something more advanced.
    03-19-08 12:24 PM
    I love using the free Nav4All navigation software. The draw is the lack of any significant help manual, either online or through the program. I've searched the net for Help Forums but there's not much there. Perhaps some of you fellow nav4all users out there might use this thread to share your questions and answers.

Here are some of mine:

What is the significance of the number in the top left corner of the arrow navigation screen, something in the format of 11:34, but changing slightly all the time. Time of arrival at destination?

What is "white++" as one of the travel options?

Travel alternatives are only provided for short trips? What is the mileage cutoff?

What does "recalc sensitivity" mean? How do I choose which number to use?

What do the "blocked route" options mean?

How can I have the street names displayed in a bigger font? Unfortunately, the street names are often covered by the street itself and are difficult to read.

What does "safety first" option do?

How do I keep Nav4All running but leave that screen to go to another application? Whenever I attempt to leave to go to my Blackberry Home Screen, it asks if I want to quit the program. If I say "no", then it goes right back to the program!

Thanks!
    One guess is above
    03-19-08 12:51 PM
    [What is the significance of the number in the top left corner of the arrow navigation screen, something in the format of 11:34, but changing slightly all the time. Time of arrival at destination?]

Wow, of all the possibilities I tried to think of, that one never occurred to me but it sure makes sense! That's why that number keeps changing slightly, as my travel speeds change! I'll check it out tomorrow
    03-19-08 07:06 PM
    You could try sending them an email at [email protected]. According to this KB article there is online help, but I haven't found it particular useful.

I'd guess that the 'recalc sensitivity' option controls how "off course" you can be before it automatically figures out a way to get you headed back to your destination. Likely a short distance if you are walking, but a longer distance if you are driving (in case you need to take a side road parallel with the main road, for instance).

It's not intuitive, but apparently you can switch out of Nav4All (and run it in the background) from the start menu using the menu key. Not positive if this works while it's showing a route though.
    03-19-08 07:27 PM
    I did write to them with my questions at that address, but have not received responses. That's why I'm resorting to this medium

Also, the "onboard manual" has no help available for the specific items about which I've questions. Thanks for your "recalc sensitivity" explanation - that makes sense!

Also verified that the top left number on the arrow navigation screen does indeed give you the Estimated Time of Arrival. On my 2 trips today, that number was VERY accurate!
    Last edited by organman; 03-20-08 at 05:38 PM. Reason: additional comment
    03-20-08 07:37 AM
    A few more Nav4All questions:

On the GPS information page, what does the "Dilution" number mean? What units are the "Strength" numbers in - what do they mean?

Typically, it may show 10/12 for the "Sat" number. I presume that means it's receiving strong signals from 10 out of 12 satellites. Since my GPS puck (keychain 2000) is supposed to receive signals from 51 satellites, why does the satellite number never seem to go higher than 12?

Driving on a highway, the arrow navigation page will show an upcoming roadway split with low single digit numbers near the diagram of the split. Sometimes even a black square dot near the intersection. Have not been able to figure out their significances. (It's not the number of lanes).

Just drove 4-1/2 hours straight with it and the Nav4All program never needs to have the GPS refreshed - works perfectly so far!

BTW, I've written to Nav4All with my questions, but have never received a response.
    Last edited by organman; 03-27-08 at 04:57 PM.
    03-25-08 06:06 PM
    The GPS programs automatically refresh the GPS as you move. Thats why if you run one of the programs and accidently leave it running, your battery will drain faster than normal.
    03-27-08 12:59 PM
    Does NAV4ALL work in Canada and does it have voice direction ?
    03-31-08 01:14 PM
    It works all over the world. It has 50 different languages to choose from for the spoken directions, and either male or female.
    03-31-08 03:51 PM
    I also have some difficulty understand those numbers, I need to ask, why is always bringing me to a longer route when there is actually a nearer road ? How do I tackle this ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-08 09:33 PM
    I also have some difficulty understand those numbers, I need to ask, why is always bringing me to a longer route when there is actually a nearer road ? How do I tackle this ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    1. Under settings>plan options>driving style, make sure you choose the correct "driving style" you want. There are 7 different types, other than walking and bicycling. Some will stay away from highways, some just on major routes, another will provide the shortest route (but perhaps longest travel time!), etc.

2. Under settings>plan options>user type, choose the correct vehicle type you drive.

3. Unlike GoogleMaps, you cannot "customize" your route other than the provided options. However, if there is a particular route you like to take, go ahead and use it. It will then automatically recalculate the rest of the trip from that point!
    04-01-08 08:29 AM
    I deleted Nav4all after a short use since i had a miserable time inputting destinations and getting them from contacts. What kind of experience are you all having with this aspect?
    04-02-08 03:34 PM
    I deleted Nav4all after a short use since i had a miserable time inputting destinations and getting them from contacts. What kind of experience are you all having with this aspect?
    I see what you mean (I think!). If I ask Nav4All for an address from my address book, it will say something about an Incomplete address and request you to re-enter the address manually. Don't know why that is. I've always used "Address input" and entered the address manually - which I find easy enough. I've even entered USA for the country field, but that didn't help.
    04-02-08 05:05 PM
    A few more Nav4All questions:

Since my GPS puck (keychain 2000) is supposed to receive signals from 51 satellites, why does the satellite number never seem to go higher than 12?
    There are about 30 GPS satellites that provide coverage around the world. You can only see the ones that are above the horizon at your location.
    04-02-08 10:20 PM
    There are about 30 GPS satellites that provide coverage around the world. You can only see the ones that are above the horizon at your location.
    OK, so it has the POTENTIAL of receiving signals from 51 different satellites channels, but there are only so many available in view at once. I presume that the benefit of the newest unit being sensitive to 51 satellites may mean that it might receive signals from perhaps a couple extra satellites for better accuracy, as opposed to an earlier model that has only 20 channels.
    04-03-08 07:42 AM
    See post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/nav...-update-28086/

What a terrible, terrible application... Nav4All doesn't have anything on Garmin.
    04-07-08 11:34 AM
    It is free and that may mean something to someone.
    04-07-08 07:33 PM
    See post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/nav...-update-28086/

What a terrible, terrible application... Nav4All doesn't have anything on Garmin.
    Except Garmin doesn't appear to work on Verizon 8830's with external pucks other than Garmin's. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I can't get it to install on my 8830. And it's a subscription service.
    04-07-08 08:52 PM
    I do wish Verizon would ENABLE the gps - if for no other reason - so that I only have to worry about charging ONE DEVICE.

I'm with you on the subscription thing - If I started to grab all these "wonderful" new services that are subscription based, I would have to give up chips and chocolate!!!! But seriously, as you add up the various new software offerings that are subscription based it starts getting pricy. One-time charges are more my thing when reasonable.
    04-08-08 12:57 AM
    I have Nav4All on my 8310 and to be honest it only took me 10 minutes to go thru the settings and I was out on the road. It works perfectly for me. Most of the setup is logical. Of course there are a few settings I don't understand so I left them alone but it works great.
    As it is a free service I can't expect too much from it but all in all I luv it.
    By 2010 when we have to start paying for it I'm sure there'll be plenty of changes. I think they are trying to create a satnav that anyone can use out the box. It's a shame they haven't responded to your emails tho. They should learn a lot from users comments and appreciate the input.
    04-08-08 01:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD