I was looking at Nav 4 All and Amaze GPS. What has been the best one for you and why?
    04-17-09 02:20 PM
    Basically every thread I've read with this title ends up pointing to amazeGps, that's why.
    04-17-09 02:21 PM
    Tried both, Amaze just seems easier to use. Not very slick, but it's free and functionable. If I really used turn by turn GPS, I would drop the $$ for a real solution.
    04-17-09 02:22 PM
    Google maps worked way better for my purposes than either. Still free and does all your directions and you can follow your progress on the map. Easy. Just my own preference however.
    04-17-09 02:25 PM
    I removed Google Maps.
    Too many bad directions and wrong turns given.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 02:26 PM
    I have google maps, but I do not use if for navigation in the car. I'm using Gokivo Navigator which I think I got from App World for free. I had Amaze, but liked Gokivo better. Nearly the same funcionality, so I guess it is just a personal pref.
    04-17-09 03:17 PM
    I'm using the free trial from Garmin and I love it. Seems well worth the $99.
    (I know thats not what you asked, just giving 2 cents.)
    Garmin Mobile: Take a free test drive on your GPS-enabled BlackBerry | Garmin
    04-17-09 03:22 PM
    hey teek. you can get garmin mobile $20 cheaper on blackberry official site.
    04-17-09 06:13 PM
    I like amAze better for true navigation. Google Maps works well for general directions.
    04-17-09 06:59 PM
    hey teek. you can get garmin mobile $20 cheaper on blackberry official site.
    Thanks, I didn't know that!
    04-17-09 07:06 PM
    I use Telmap Navigator BIS...works really well.
    04-17-09 09:56 PM
    Google maps worked way better for my purposes than either. Still free and does all your directions and you can follow your progress on the map. Easy. Just my own preference however.
    Really? In the car? Google maps doesn't do voice nav. AmAze does. The maps in Google are slicker but they are certainly adequate in AmAze. Plus I rely on the voice nav much more, given that I don't have the Bold mounted in the car. I also don't understand why anyone would buy the Garmin app when AmAze will do the same thing FOR FREE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 11:02 PM
    Tried both, Amaze just seems easier to use. Not very slick, but it's free and functionable. If I really used turn by turn GPS, I would drop the $$ for a real solution.
    Going to have to agree with you on that one BT. amAze does an excellent job for being free, but I rarely use it since I have a pretty d*mn good sense of direction. If I was going to use it a lot I would spend the money for the Garmin solution.

Chris
    04-17-09 11:05 PM
    04-18-09 12:12 AM
    Personally, I think that amAze is the best.
    It works very well, it's easy and friendly, and what I like the most is that they keep releasing new versions all the time. You can get a new version every 3 months, and each one includes great features.
    AND, of course, it's free which is awesome.

Google maps is also nice, but it doesn't have the 'turn by turn', so it's not as useful...
    04-19-09 12:58 AM
    i have to disagree i dont like amaze's menu system personally and its missing some features for inputting data. Also 6 miles search radius for POI near you is ridiculously restrictive. I like telmap better personally
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-19-09 at 02:11 AM.
    04-19-09 01:14 AM
    It's true that google maps doesn't have turn by turn voice commands, but I'm not interested in that. It will however map out a route and show where you are in real time and even what direction you are heading in, so if you can see your phone you're good. Amaze had a horrible menu system in my opinion, and it just didn't live up to the claims made about its greatness.
    04-20-09 06:39 AM
    I have not tried Amaze as I rather pay the carrier for Navigator (regardless of how frequently I use it). I did however try Nav4All prior to making my decision to go with Navigator and it sucked. Main reason was too many menus and screens to go through. It never found addresses that I was looking for.
    04-20-09 08:39 AM
    I use amaze, it works good get me to where I'm going
    04-20-09 10:23 PM
    I cannot get Amaze to find a satellite signal. any ideas?
    04-21-09 09:37 AM
    I use Telmap Navigator BIS...works really well.
    Ditto, it's awesome. Great directions, the 3D map is awesome too.
    04-21-09 10:20 AM
    just realized amaze doesnt have a US POI search yet so its pretty useless unless you know the address for now until they update it.

telmap does but its not finding some basic POI nearby. For example looking for a Lowe's that I know is about 2 or 3 miles away, butr only showing one hit in the area which is way out of the way.

so far havent found a great gps solution in either of these apps.

wouldnt bother using nav4all, interface sucks and the mapping system is nothing more than a 2d arrow system, not even on a moving map. way too basic to be very functional while driving.
    04-29-09 04:08 AM
    just realized amaze doesnt have a US POI search yet so its pretty useless unless you know the address for now until they update it.
    It does have US POI; you just haven't found it.

Menu >> Search >> Keyword/POI

It then lets you search either by city/state/keyword, or by distance from your current GPS location.

Sounds like you've been clicking on "Local Search" instead, which seems limited to a few European providers in a drop-down box.
    04-29-09 12:04 PM
    I cannot get Amaze to find a satellite signal. any ideas?
    Your profile says you're on Verizon and you need the Verizon version.

Go to wap.amazegps.com and click on the link that says "Download amaZeGPS."

You need to write down (or screen capure, or whatever) the user name and password at the top of the page; you'll need it for installation.

There is a link to download AmaZe for BlackBerry Storm. If you're a Verizon user,

do not click on that link.

Instead, scroll down the page to where it says

VERIZON users please click here to download a GPS compatible version.
    On the next page, there is a link for BlackBerry Verizon Storm. That will get you the right version.
    04-29-09 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD